Keen to LARPing, New to Alliance

If this isn't the appropriate place to post this, please have a mod or admin move it to where it should go.

My name is Jason Gould and I live in Sherwood, Oregon.
For just over 5 years, I've kept myself busy as a player of Amtgard. While I was helping out with an Amtgard demo at GameStorm last year, I was also sampling the other LARPs that were there, I found one that ran in an adventurer party styled mini-quest around the room they were in, dividing it into sections for each encounter. Keeping track of the hit points took a little getting used to at first. It was more roleplaying and solving problems, but still had enough sword action to remind me of my play in Amtgard. Though my passion for my favored game is still strong, curiosity urged me to see what other different LARPs were around Oregon. After looking at many, some with familiar names as Belegarth and Dagorhir, this one stuck out as the one that had gameplay similar to my experience last year. So here I am at your figurative doorstep.

Being an Amtgardian, my weapons are mostly round bladed, though I'm starting to dabble a little in flatblade construction. I know that my character class experience in Amtgard won't transfer between games and I know that it isn't meant to. I may be a 5 year veteran at Amtgard, but I'm still at baby steps with Alliance.
I know there are places to ask noob questions concerning weapons, garb, shields, and armor compatibility, including the rulebook (which I'm working on getting the PDF for soon), but this is more of asking if you guys have weekly/bi-weekly practice days aside from the camping events? I read in one post that one of your players (Ithra I believe) lives in Newberg, so I'd like to see if a meet and greet can be arranged sometime. Meanwhile, I read about the upcoming event on the weekend of the 24th. Sadly, I'll be attending the coronation of officers in my Sherwood Amtgard chapter (including myself as their secretary). But I know there's no rush as I'm just barely scratching the surface of this interesting game. I looked ahead at your events calender, and I'm really going to make an effort to go to the Scouter's Mountain event in June. This would give me time to get to know the players and leaders, study up on the rulebook, and attend a few events along the way. Also being an Eagle Scout, and before that, a cub scout, I kind of consider it a personal homecoming.

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Welcome. The rule book will give you most of the basics on weapon construction: keys are 2" thrusting tip, 5/8" thick foam striking surfaces, and no reticulation/weapon trapping pieces.

While there are no active training schedules, people have gotten together with people to go over some basics.

JasonSilverheart said:
I looked ahead at your events calender, and I'm really going to make an effort to go to the Scouter's Mountain event in June.

Howdy, and welcome aboard! One quick note - the June event you're likely looking at was last year. Currently, there is no June event scheduled for Oregon, our next weekend event is scheduled for May, up at Camp Sheppard near Enumclaw, Washington. Our sister chapter, Alliance Seattle has a weekend scheduled in April as well, if you're interested.

Incidentally, the next Alliance Seattle event is closer geographically to Sherwood than the May event (I am attending both), and there's always the option of spending an event on the dark side (NPCing) if you want to take some extra time to get your character squared away before then.

Hey, welcome! Like others noted, after this weekend's gameday, Oregon's next event is May 4-7th. It should be a really fantastic game, so hopefully you'll be able to make it! In between, nothing official is scheduled. Feel free to post and see if anyone can get together. Feel free to post questions here too. Hopefully we'll get to meet you soon!

-Carmen

Something else to consider, if you're going to be in a larping sort of way this weekend: People will be hanging out at Battleground Out Of Game (OOG) the night before the gameday. You'd be welcome to come down and hang out and chat about the game, even if you can't come to the game the next day. If you're really interested, there are several people that are going up to the Alliance Seattle game the following day (Sunday), you may be able to find car space if you're interested in hitting that one (no guarantees though, it's pretty last minute). It's kind of a long trip for a single day game, but it's something to do.

SkollWolfrun said:
Welcome. The rule book will give you most of the basics on weapon construction: keys are 2" thrusting tip, 5/8" thick foam striking surfaces, and no reticulation/weapon trapping pieces.

While there are no active training schedules, people have gotten together with people to go over some basics.

I'm still testing the waters with flats, and most of my rounds are made of pool noodle to satisfy the 2.5" wide stabbing tip and cushion requirements of Amtgard, and I tend to put 2" of cushion on the tip anyway. Though from the small of what I read you can't thrust or stab with bludgeoning weapons so I'll just call that courtesy padding. I think I'm going to open up as a mace/club/baton kind of guy until I can pull together my first flatbade.

Roan Dari Alki said:
Hey, welcome! Like others noted, after this weekend's gameday, Oregon's next event is May 4-7th. It should be a really fantastic game, so hopefully you'll be able to make it! In between, nothing official is scheduled. Feel free to post and see if anyone can get together. Feel free to post questions here too. Hopefully we'll get to meet you soon!

-Carmen

I noticed, and I realized that's the weekend that my favorite band DragonForce has their concert on may 6th.So I'll see about working up to the Seattle Alliance event in late April. BTW, in Amtgard I play as Jason Silverheart. Would this be an acceptable name in Alliance? Storywise, I could say that I had discovered a portal between Amtgardia and this land. And though I had amassed great rank and power there, it doesn't all travel with me to this world in which I'm still learning.

Back