Keep an eye out for spam accounts

I would think that a PM to the appropriate account would be a more expedient fashion of notification.

Marcena said:
New one. ereeefoor.

Got him. Thanks for reporting it; remember everyone, click on the exclamation point. I don't know about you, but to me it makes the post turn all pink and brings it to my attention so I can delete the IP address and the post.

Marcena said:
So they're not all from the same server?

Apparently not, but I assume those spammers just keep moving from server and server. I can't be the only Bulletin Board owner banning the IPs.

What is most frustrating is that some idiots must be clicking on these spam messages, because otherwise it wouldn't be profitable to keep sending them out.

Invariable some idiot will follow almost any link.

But if its all scripted code and not real people, the cost per post is negligible.

can you add some nasty bit of legal jargan to the board rules and when he spams again you try and sue or otherwise punish them legaly?

FW

It would largely be a fruitless effort.

You'd never see a penny.

yes but if you could drag them out of there hole and into court that alone would be nice.
seeing that there is a lawer who is part of this site he will only be using some of his time while the jerk once found out would have to hire a lawyer or brave the courts without one and the expense to him of hiring one would be a victory and perhaps stop him.
it hoepfully would also let us know who they are
FW

Except that its probably some kid in Nigeria who is being hired to do it by some other guy in Nigeria who we will never see or know the identity of.

And most likely its not even people who are even entering the information.

They are probably just installing a program on a computer, running it, and it is doing all the work.

They bother ANYBODY - it has nothing to do with who we are. And Justin is right, it's likely automated, in which case they're not seeing any kind of warning. I suppose you could put it on there, but it wouldn't do anything.

If it gets extreme you could set the forums up to require a caption to create an acount, or to even post. If it was automated that should take care of it.

The caption approval is automated.

The problem is that that does not always prevent anything.

Back