Kids Event Favorites and Pictures

Hi everyone,

I don't have my list quite ready to post yet, but will do so soon. Would love to hear others. (Both from kids & adults POV's)

The short list from my two:

Mason: "The fireworks"
Sadie: "Everything"

A big thank you to everyone who came out, especially the childless ones! Erika, Akiva, Drew, Mei and Justin
(BTW - the NPC list got lost in the clean up, so please PM me with your last names and player numbers so I can submit for gobbies correctly. Thanks!)

There's a TON of pictures posted to the FB page, but I know that there's a lot of people who ended up not being on there. PM me to be added to it so you can check out the action! (Mike do you have a way of contacting Ned? I want to make sure he and his kids get to see the stuff and I don't know how to reach him.)

Thanks again,
Kathy

Brynne:
-I got to be a 'venturer and fight bad guys!
-Dressing in costumes to fight bad guys!
-There was another girl with almost my name!
-playing with Tooooooad'dog

That's all I could get out of her. Lol.

I loved that all of the adults helped out! Having a chance to run a mod for the older kids and coming back to a sleeping toddler was about my favorite thing EVER!

Watching the kids try to figure out puzzles and play the game so awesomely! :)

B telling me that she was having fun, but Diana was sad because her friends left her alone (I was "invisible")
Sadie (Tigress) giving B (Diana) coins because "she earned them by being a good friend" was almost tear-inducing cute!
My little admirers Denis (I can't remember his character name!) and Riley (Leon) :)
The teenager mod & scaring Amanda (Danaerys) before it even started!
The massive cuteness of the theories of what happened to the book (half involving character histories and the other half involving t-Rexes and angry fairies)...
Justin's awesome drawings!
Having some time to hang out with more geeky parents :-D

I know there is a ton more, but I figure that's a start!
Thank you Kathy for making this happen!

It's been a long week, and I haven't had the energy to really post before now, but I think in some ways it helped boil down my true favorites. The whole weekend was fantastic, frankly, but here's the things that really stick out.

1) The help, support and energy from all the NPC staff. I said it once there, but it bears repeating. I have NPC'd many times over my LARP'ing career, been staff, been one of the ones that directors have thanked specifically for all the hard work put in. But never have I ever truly gotten how much gratitude that really carries. This was my first event ever as writer and director and I gotta say, now I get it. If it wasn't for everyone who helped "backstage" this event would not have been what it was. Thank you very much for everything!

2) The amount of kids that came this year, especially the amount of people who came who had never LARP'd before; the parents who came because they wanted to support something that their kids wanted to try. These kids events are so important to me not just because my own kids would HATE me if they didn't get to do what Mommy and Daddy talk about so much, but because I really do believe that this kind of play is missing from kids lives most of the time. Even though the adults were there, the kids still had to work and figure things out themselves. They had to figure out how to get along with each other. They were the ones that had to be responsible for each other. All while spreading the wings of imagination wide and shedding disbelief. The running around in the woods, getting sweaty and dirty while actually having to physically beat up the bad guys (as opposed to virtually doing it via video games) are all part of the experience. Aaron and I talk about how when our kids really learn something, there are synapses that fire off in their brain as they begin to process and internalize all the new stuff they are discovering. I feel that weekends like these set fires off in their brains that carry far past the end of the actual event.

3) Age groupings: Little Kids, Middle Kids, Big Kids, Little Adults, and Adults :funny:

4) Having a scary mod run. We've been wanting to do it the last couple of years, but the chemistry just wasn't right. So happy we got to do it this year!

5) Watching a mother watch her child spin a tale of adventure that kept us all spell bound. The story telling was perfect, and kudos to him for his skills - I didn't need to go and ask the NPC's how it went, I knew just from hearing Zayne (am I getting the name right, I might not - I AM old after all! :thumbsup: ). But watching his mom watch him was my favorite part.

Every moment was crazy and challenging and great. I really wanted to bring the kids event to the "next level" this year, and I think we succeeded. I can't wait to start planning next year's!

Kathy

Thank you so much Kathy for running a great event!

Zane had a Blast! He was so tired on the ride home, he didn't make it to the PA line... His story telling about the 'scary mod' was very intense and his mom was quite taken aback by it.

The fact that the parents kind of split up between Monster camp, kitchen, and rolling with the kids worked out very well.

It was a great event and looking forward to next year!

Jim and Marj Sailer

Back