Kite Spar?

So I am impressed by the difference between kite bar vs. pvc and would like to construct a polearm out of kite spar.

Have the new rules modified the length of polearms at all? They were at 60-72 inch.

What diameter kite spar am I looking for for a polearm length weapon (60-72 inch)?
Have any of you found a good and cheep supplier for this material?

Is this close to what is needed?
http://www.kitebuilder.com/catalog/.../1438?osCsid=ef1c701166a60ecf139515564eae0fe0

Thanks for your advise,

Re: Kite Bar?

Polearms are 62"-72". The FL-745 tubing on this page should be what you're looking for - it's fiberglass tubing as opposed to the solid fiberglass you posted, but I believe it's what most people use for ultralight 2-handers. You can step it up to the 1" diameter if you're worried about strength and I've seen some people use two thinner cores instead of one thick one, but I'm not sure how well that works.

Edit: I copy-pasted the wrong thing before; the link should work now.

Just revisiting this idea. I was looking at this web page:

http://goodwinds.com/fiberglass/filament-wound-epoxy-tubing.html

Notice the 602 at 84 inches would be able to make the full length polearm core - whereas the others including the 745 would need to be less than full length for polearms. (Yes - I called them and they said that was as long as they come)

So what do you guys think? Will a 602 be rigid enough or too whippy to pass for a full length polearm??

Also any other recommendations are welcome.

~Matt M

Ya, I would go with the .602

Remember to measure twice and cut once though, that stuff is spendy.

I recommend cutting it to 67.5 inches (2.5 inch thrusting tip, 1 inch closed cell foam past the tip, 1 inch closed cell past the butt) or 4.5 inches less then what ever length you wanted.

Be sure to have a max length handle too. I have started using rope for my handles. There is a bit of up keep involved, but they look nice and feel really nice in your hand. You'll need to see if that's viable though as such a large handle, that might add a lot of weight... If you use some thinner rope it should come out nice on the 602.

Lastly, if you want it truly ultralight go for a cloth cover. Tape adds up fast but a light fabric works just as well, some times better. If you go that route, you will want to take some clear packing tape and use that to tape up the foam and such.

I used .500 Carbon for my polearm. I've taken some hefty hits on it and haven't been too terribly worried about it breaking. It has very little whippyness to it. You are certainly welcome to take a closer look at it. I've been very happy with it. :)

Anthony was asking about UL cores at afters, so here's a bump. The .505 is probably best for 1-handed weapons, but you can step down to the .414 for short weapons if you don't mind a really narrow grip.

You can also build the grip up on one of those smaller cores with some cheap jute or something else less scratchy. Also, realized I didn't mention that I got my carbon core for my polearm from Goodwinds. :)

Back