Land Abandoned

Lok

Artisan
The word "abandonment" plagues me. Imagine I left a silver coin where it layed simply because I wished not to defend it against the advancing foe. If someone else were to brave that foe and pick up that coin. Whose coin is it? Now replace the words regarding coin with land. Whose land is out in the corrupt lines? Currently i'd say the corrupt control that area, and the crown has no say there. If a troupe of soldiers were to claim a chunk of land abandoned by the crown, whose land do they occupy? I don't by any sense of the word mean to be antagonistic of the crown. My question is only one of law after being advised by the lawyer to Harbors Far. In the legal definitions of Gaden ((those posted on mnalliance.com)) they fail to mention what constitutes property. I simply pose a question of legal precedence. What control does the crown have over land they have no possession of. Is it their property? If not is it free for the taking? Again, I would like to make it clear I have no intention of inciting descent or raising any controversy. I simply ask a question regarding local law.

-Lok of Harbors Far

Lok,

If you are able to carve out a piece of land that you call home behind the corrupt lines and are able to survive there without being overrun and eaten by the corrupt, more power to you.

Regards,

McGregor

yeh that would be quite an undertaking. but the risk might be worth the reward if one didn't go too far in. just past what a surveyor deemed the line? hmm...surprised the crown hasn't pushed for homesteading and development past the line. would rally a lot of peoples looking for a home and or a new start to push back some corrupt.

-Lok of Harbors Far, Captain

So let me get this straight, this mistwalker's theory is that the crown should encourage people to fling themselves needlessly to their deaths by appealling to their greed and giving up long established domain to any area that might be reclaimed in such a manner. I thank you for your words friend Lok, they will be of great benefit whenever I meet another fool who thinks your kind is not a blight, or is deluded to into thinking some of you might be helpful. Or maybe I'm wrong, maybe the king should grant tracks of land to any unknown person that appears and babbles loudly on his dreams of finding silver pieces long abandonned.

Of course no doubt you'll respond with attacks on my character, and suggestions people should fall all over themselves in the hope that you might deem them worthy and take their land, property, and authority for fair payment for what is clearly a simple matter of defeating a force of nature like the corrupt.

Fool

- Harin Kelvona, Journeyman of the Celestial Guild of Gaden

Harsh... is this the norm when one attempts to engage in conversation? A fool is fully aware of the dangers before him. I wouldn't say that I am. I would say however I am ignorant to some of the plight. So I don't take kindly to being called a fool. Attacks on your character? No... I don't know you. I've only been here a short time in the area known as Hope's Reach. I wouldn't want people to risk their lives needlessly. I simply wanted to open up some conversation in a dreamscape that had been dormant a day or two. I hope my overstating of my curiosity hasn't offended too many. If it has I beg of you to get to know me better and you would know that wasn't my intent. Feel free good Celestial Scholar to come by the camp of Harbors Far and enjoy a glass of our wine and get to know us.

Dah corrupt not like anydhing ya eva seen. Fo yea's dha military of Gaden be fight'n dhem, but what ya gotta know is dhat it aint been a war tah win, but tah survive. Dha corrupt be ravaga's an consuma's dhe take no prisoner o' quarter. So dhat why dha law folk of gaden not dhink bout dhat option...it onla lead tah strength'n dha enemy.

If dhe be any otha dhings ya be need'n tah know bout our lan' jus' ask meh.

An' Harin, ya do seem like a man dhat know fear whit no time experience'n what it really be like tah fear dhings, go on dha front line fo a while dhen start talk'n big. I not like dha folk dhat come dhrough dha mist at first, I dhink dhey be untrustwortha an dha wors' kinda folk, an just pretend'n tah be nice...but let meh tell ya, dhere be almos' noone dhat I would trust by mah side in battle mo' dhen some of dhese mistwalka's as ya call dhem. An dhen again, dont talk less ya been next tah one while fight'n fo not onla your life, but fo a life of some of dha folk dhat live in dha ol' Fort Milla area an town. If'n ya still dhink dhey all bad, dhen talk loud as ya want, but till dhen ya just as bigga fool dhen ya dhink dhey is. Trus' meh, once Lok an him frien' get a taste of what fight'n dha corrupt like dhe will know how tah react bout dhem.

-Hengin

apparently those who have never seen corrupt are shown nothing but contempt. i wonder if all foreigners are treated with such respect

-James the Inconceivable of Harbors Far

Nevermind, my question has been answered by the generalizations posed about ALL foreigners.

Why is it that foreigners here are considered a bad thing? with the external struggles, i would assume that new allies and new sources of fighting men would be welcomed.

-James the inconceivable of Harbors Far

Foreigners themselves are not automatically shown contempt, James, but their frequent misunderstandings of our troubles and their ideas on how to manage them, especially regarding the Corrupt, often spawn contempt.

~ Gandian Ravenscroft

i understand that. its the response to honest questions that is distressing.

but i guess i should stay quiet and take the criticism, after all, i really don't know much either. Our actions will ultimately show our character.

but i guess i should stay quiet and take the criticism, after all, i really don't know much either. Our actions will ultimately show our character.

Stick whit dhat dhink'n an I be sure dhat we be good frien' afta a short mount of time, dha onla contempt I has fo ya is ya stange humor an ya seem'n inabilita tah communicate when ya serious o' when ya joke'n

An if ya dhink dhat I be show'n contempt tah ya now, o' dha I has in dha past, dhen ya betta make sure tah be on dha otha side of this mist wall when I actually do. :)

-Hengin

Wise words Gandien and Hengin. I invite both of you to commune with us around our campfire. The intellect of others is always welcome by our fire.

It has come to my attention that a matter of possession of land currently occupied by the Corrupt invading force has come up. It seemed that my clerk was so...shall I say, concerned...that I was pressed to dream as you adventurers often do, though it is not restful in the least. And so, in response to this I must first extend a firm warning: any and all references to Sedition are treated as just that, and those found guilty will be prosecuted under the laws of Gaden and the High Crime of Sedition.

Now I understand that this was a simple question posed by a traveler from the recently permeable Mist Wall , but I urge those who inquire about these matters to be very careful of their wording, as often enough a simple misstepping of the tongue can lead to trials when on the topic of High Treason and Sedition.

Now to shed light onto this innocent inquiry: All lands currently occupied by the invading Corrupt force are property of the Crown, and furthermore, any land whos ownership is in question defaults to the Crown and proper ownership will be investigated according to the records stored in the Gaden Library.

May you continue to stand fast at Hope's Reach,
Seneschal Damien Tirke

Seneschal Tirke,

Thanks very much for your clear answer to my inquiry. I am glad you understand that I offered no seditious ambition. I now have a follow up question. Is there any reward for helping reclaim land for the crown?

Seneschal Tirke,

If I understand my countrymen correctly, Lok's original hope was to carve out a holding beneath the rule and taxation of the Crown of Gaden. By no means do we desire to secede from Gaden or claim jump any who wish to return to their homes. In fact, we desire for nothing more to help these people return to THEIR homes for we know the pain of losing the place you belong.

Lok is very brave, but in matters of nobility, he is lacking. Please forgive him for any misunderstanding.

Zell of the First Forest

Seneschal Tirke is busy with other matters currently, however I have been instructed to tell you that no formal reward is available, and any further inquiries or attempts to find out about such compensation should be handled in private missive, or in person.

As for the topic of sedition, I would like to urge you to reexamine the Seneschal's words. You have given no offense or misunderstandings, but a warning was given because it is my understanding that the Seneschal felt you needed to be informed about of the nature of your statements, and that words can carry great weight on some topics of discussion. Any further questions or concerns shall be sent by missive or in person if you please.

Jes Nirmik, Clerk to Seneschal Tirke

[quote="Lurin"Of course no doubt you'll respond with attacks on my character, and suggestions people should fall all over themselves in the hope that you might deem them worthy and take their land, property, and authority for fair payment for what is clearly a simple matter of defeating a force of nature like the corrupt.

- Harin Kelvona, Journeyman of the Celestial Guild of Gaden[/quote]

i dont know about anyone else but i most certainly not call the corrupt a force of nature. that sounds like the defense a necromancer might use, not that im calling you a necromancer or any thing the like

Back