Language!

Merhaba!

I seek to break dhe language barrier of Fortannis. Eez dhere a people willing to explain dheir language here so dhat we all may learn to understand one anot'er?

We speak a language where I come from dhat eez a mixture of many, many languages. A pidgin of common and everyting else unto elven. Like a popular quote amongst dhe sailors dhat come to port;

Si dhe pat' eez crook'd pas de sens walkin' straight.
If the path is crooked, there is no sense to walk straight.

or what we call a storm at sea: Collera de mama or in dhe common tongue "Mom's rage".

Eez different elsewhere?

Fortune And Love,

~Marcena Cenkraea "The Dove" Dagon

Ahem... Izza been a while since I 'ad a good sweep, tho' izza intuhwestin' where my foughts wander.

My wanguage, you see, izza made up of one hand of hands an' one hand more of sound syllables. I fink dat t'wee tens inna da common countin'. Meebee easier t'think o' six hands. Annaway, dere izza five meaning twees, iz said, an' each twee has six syllables on it. Oh yah, dere also one modifier. I get to dat waituh.

Wet's start wit' da good sounds. Deez syllables all go wit' somefin' good. Ko, ku, ka, kee, kie, kao. "Ku" awone izza good inna my wanguage. You see, da more "ku" you say together, da bettuh somefin' is. Izza also equivilant to "yes," anna "thank you," as I has found out fwom twanswations.

Uhh, wet's see... Next we canna go wit' its opposite, da bad stuff. Zo, zu, za, zee, zie, zao. Jus' wike "ku" izza good sound, "zao" izza bad sound. I say zao mostwee to disagwee wit' someone, just azza easy "no." I still do it awot he-ah, anna confuse annabodee who norra awound me befoh wit'out expwanation. 'Course, azza da same, izza wit' more zao togethuh dat da situation get worse. When some dodeeja say wots of zaos, izza sometimes come out missin' da wast part of da syllable, anna iz za-za-za-zao, but izza same fing.

Next, wet's go back to good fings. Jo, ju, ja, jee, jie, jao. Deez are more or wess t'ings we say in words dat have t'do wit' wife an' natuwal fings. "Jojan" are twees, an "kujadee" are fwiends who izza still awive. Izza also one of da t'ings which we canna use fur da passage of time. "Ju," izza sometimes used to quickwee tell someone iffa someone izza awive, though "judanjee" izza da pwopuh way to tell someone dat dere izza wife weft.

Uhh, wet's see... To, tu, ta, tee, tie, tao. "To" means dead. We norra have a word fur undead, 'cause we norra expewience dat befoh... to my knowedge, but-ahh, even elduhs has secwets. Now, da "to" twee have da most important werds. "Atta," which mean food, anna "utta," which mean dwink. Now, norra confuse wit' "attu," which is eat, or "uttu" which is... uhh... da act of dwinking dat dwink I wharra talkin' about. Uhh, now I gettin' hungwee...

So, befoh I wake up anna have somefin' t' eat, I share wit' you da wast twee of words. Do, du, da, dee, die, dao. You pwobabwee head me alweedy usin' deez in my speech, anna dat 'cause it used verra liberally tuh connect othuh words an' such. Anna, iffa you hear me says; "Donji!" sometime when you sneeze, izza 'cause dat wharra we say as congwatuwations onna successful bodily function.

Oh, yah, uhhh dere an "n" sound dat can be tacked ontuh syllables goin' inna for'ard sound, (cuzza all but jao, kao, dao, zao, anna tao can be weversed.) Kinda wike da name of Tuzien'doduajja. Tu, zie, n, do, du, ja weversed t' be aj, den ja. Yah, yah, izza ku, yah? I hope dis help. Now I gorra get up anna hope dere somefin' cwunchy weft of mah twavel wations.

- Warpfang

Dhis mos' definitly help! Eez fascinating way to set up words, so simple, but a single missed syllable may send home bad news when good was intended. I should be careful when studying dhis one.

Any more?

Kyah! Study all you wharra be willin' to. I fink tho' dat da dweem wealm sometime change da voice of one mind fur da purception of anothah. Wit' dat inna mind, I fink dat unwess you meet me in person, izza norra wheely needed t' be wearned. Purhaps someday we meet anna I give you bettah insight into da details of dodeeja, iffa you suhwee intuhwested. I izza intuhwested in wearnin' all I can about evvrat'in' dis world hazza ta offa, so I will certainwee have questions to twade infurmation on, kyahaha.

- Warpfang

But of course, I shall be travelling to every continent of Fortannis at some point or ot'er. To learn dhe basis of ot'er languages eez a beautiful endeavor so mi mama taught me.

So does no one else speak ot'er dhan common? Dhis I know to be untrue, but it mus' be dhe wish to be kept secret.

Fortune And Love With All Of Fortannis,

~Marcena Cenkraea "The Dove" Idumea DagonGaddi

Marcena,
Some of it is not a matter of secrecy. My home language for one, is something I sincerely doubt any of the non-furred races can replicate...even some of the grass eating furred races would have trouble...although of the non-furred, the Orcs I would say come the closest.

And I'm glad to have them as brothers in arms.

-Captain Zehnyu Shanshi
of the Queen's Arrow
Privateer to the Arandin Navy

Kyehehe. Izza twue. I haz twouble wit' da common tongue cauza my accent anna teef, which make speakin' Dodeeja even easier. Tho' dat can meebee say dat even wit'out da pwopuh tools, ones kin wearn to uhh, wepwicate da sounds fur othuh mannahs of wanguages.

Yah...

- Warpfang

Hence why we speak common,as well as our 'ancient' language, on top of our primal one...which would be the one I was refering to.

Though hearing an elf attempt to call to its brethren by roaring to them would be impressive.

-Z

Haha! Dhis is wonderful! I have been entertaining dhe notion dhat dhe origin of all language as we know it stems from dhose spoken by dhe scav... dhe animal folk. Dhis I mus' t'ink more on, nye?

Grazie, Zehnyu Shanshi.

Fortune and Love,

~MCDIDG

I believe that each language came from their own standing races. Afterall, while elves do not know my language, ancient or primal, I sincerely doubt that I could learn elvish without having a horrible growling accent.

-Zehnyu

Is nye jus' a matter of language dhat I am studying. Is communication. Dhe breakdown of language to it's base parts. Is nye an occupation of mine. Is jus' a lingering curiousity due to people getting confused about dhe languages I speak. Common was nye my first and my words are oft' peppered wit' words from Town. Ne'er gave it much of a t'ought until I were told it were weird. Now I wonder vhere dhe ot'er parts of my language comes from. Naturally I heard dhem from dhe sailors I grew up wit' and added it to my speech. I am working at this backwards.

Back