LARP and a Limited Schedule- Any interest?

RuneBrighteyes said:
SkollWolfrun said:
This makes no sense. Part of the cost of an event is site fee. For a smaller event, your site costs should go down, I'd imagine, so I don't see how you justify equal cost. Also, part of the entertainment is PC/PC interaction, which is going to decrease regardless of staff's engagement level.

If Alliance Seattle tried four events of this per year, and priced it out the same, I wouldn't even go, and my staff is -phenomenal-. To me, it's just not worth it.

I think you can disagree with something without it making NO sense. :roll: Just because something is not your cup of tea doesn't mean it is no ones flavor.

As for why I would have the price stay the same is that the access to the site remains the same- it is just being used for different stuff on Friday night and Sunday morning.

This idea CLEARLY is not for everyone, but my feeling is that if a game adopted this AND ran an awesome 15 hours of game time players would be happy to play that game- and additional people (like the 20+ ex-Larpers that I've already spoken to) would come out to play this style of campaign.

You'd lose some and gain some. I think it is an option.

Thanks for all of the on topic discussion!

He was quoting me, and he failed to quote properly, haha.

The reason it made no sense to me is because I assumed rentals tended to be day to day, which is why you can get long weekends (or super long weekends at the end of August in Seattle, /shameless plug). I have now been informed otherwise, and the sense hath been conjured.

It still wouldn't change that I personally wouldn't attend one except to NPC. Actually, I'd probably love NPC'ing this.

So, yeah, there's that.

I can say that this type of an adjusted schedule with a mix of full events, fair days, and mod days has been considered as an option for the CT Campaign once we find a site that suits our needs.

Another option that is available is running a standard weekend, but considering it two seperate faire days with two seperate preregistration lists. Players could PC one and have the option to NPC the other one.

I would definitely play a game as described by the original post, but only if it was within 1-2hour drive. I dont think i would go farther than that for just a day in most cases... maybe if it was a special event or I was visiting people in the area.

Draven said:

The reason it made no sense to me is because I assumed rentals tended to be day to day, which is why you can get long weekends (or super long weekends at the end of August in Seattle, /shameless plug). I have now been informed otherwise, and the sense hath been conjured.

It still wouldn't change that I personally wouldn't attend one except to NPC. Actually, I'd probably love NPC'ing this.

So, yeah, there's that.

Sorry that I did not quote you properly. Was mine a procedural or content based mistake?

That being said I find that you were unnecessarily rude in your response to my post. Was this intentional, careless or unintentional? I myself find that my points are better received when I take care to present my thoughts in as non-offensive a manner as I can. Best bet is to avoid inflammatory language or statements.

Jevedor said:
I would definitely play a game as described by the original post, but only if it was within 1-2hour drive. I don't think I would go farther than that for just a day in most cases... maybe if it was a special event or I was visiting people in the area.

I am not seeing this as one day of entertainment. I am seeing this as one LONG action packed day of LARP, with two other opportunities for the kind of chatting/goofing around that I like to do with this group of people. EVERY time larpers get together (for a party etc.) they do seem to love to gab.

I welcome the opportunity to just hang with the community, and still get some great Larping done. And I am happy to spar with ANYONE on Friday or Sunday of an event like this.

I wasn't being rude. I made a statement based on an error in my understanding of the cost of site rental, which I admitted to in my previous post.

My response was concise, and neither inflammatory language nor statements were given. I corrected my stance when my understanding was equally corrected.

For clarity's sake, this is what I found to be unnecessarily rude in your post.

Draven said:

I do not see how the above statement matches this declaration-

Draven said:
My response was concise, and neither inflammatory language nor statements were given.

Calling out someone's perceived mistake and then typing "haha" seems neither concise or non-inflammatory. You could have easily made your point in a far more concise way and avoided ANY accusation of inflammatory language use by just not typing the above line. Does that make sense?

This is of course my stated opinion (and I may be the only person who feels this way), but as I am a participant in this conversation I believe that my opinion would still be of importance to you as we are involved in a discussion. Whether or not you think that you spoke in a rude/inflammatory way, the result is the same- your choice of language and content of message has been called into question. It is to you to determine whether or not any change or adjustments need to be made.

Based on the response(s) that you make (to the critique that I have made), the people who read your posts will reach their own conclusions, and the value of your discourse will either increase, decrease or stay the same. As there is an active moderator presence on these boards to make sure that things are going as smoothly as they can, it would seem that elevating the level of discourse is the best (and organizationally supported) course of action.

As ANYONE who takes the time to post on these boards (which can be some work as it is occasionally an unpleasant place to engage in discourse) clearly wants to have their voice heard please take my critique to be one that is based on the following statement of belief-

RuneBrighteyes said:
I myself find that my points are better received when I take care to present my thoughts in as non-offensive a manner as I can. Best bet is to avoid inflammatory language or statements.

Does that make more sense now? Does the following statement that you made now seem in any way inflammatory to you?

Draven said:

I assume that you will agree that it was certainly unnecessary.

New Hampshire tried something last year that we called a battle day. A bunch of people showed up and everyone NPCed, playing through several different scenarios that the plot team prepared, some of them based on player input. The scenarios actually tied into the chapter's arc plots but nobody played PCs, just prepared characters. It was pretty successful and there was absolutely no issue with people showing up late or leaving early.

RuneBrighteyes said:
For clarity's sake, this is what I found to be unnecessarily rude in your post.

Draven said:

I do not see how the above statement matches this declaration-

Draven said:
My response was concise, and neither inflammatory language nor statements were given.

Calling out someone's perceived mistake and then typing "haha" seems neither concise or non-inflammatory. You could have easily made your point in a far more concise way and avoided ANY accusation of inflammatory language use by just not typing the above line. Does that make sense?

This is of course my stated opinion (and I may be the only person who feels this way), but as I am a participant in this conversation I believe that my opinion would still be of importance to you as we are involved in a discussion. Whether or not you think that you spoke in a rude/inflammatory way, the result is the same- your choice of language and content of message has been called into question. It is to you to determine whether or not any change or adjustments need to be made.

Based on the response(s) that you make (to the critique that I have made), the people who read your posts will reach their own conclusions, and the value of your discourse will either increase, decrease or stay the same. As there is an active moderator presence on these boards to make sure that things are going as smoothly as they can, it would seem that elevating the level of discourse is the best (and organizationally supported) course of action.

As ANYONE who takes the time to post on these boards (which can be some work as it is occasionally an unpleasant place to engage in discourse) clearly wants to have their voice heard please take my critique to be one that is based on the following statement of belief-

RuneBrighteyes said:
I myself find that my points are better received when I take care to present my thoughts in as non-offensive a manner as I can. Best bet is to avoid inflammatory language or statements.

Does that make more sense now? Does the following statement that you made now seem in any way inflammatory to you?

Draven said:

I assume that you will agree that it was certainly unnecessary.

Good grief. This wasn't worth a paragraph. Chill yer britches.

I was referring to Skoll, who was quoting my comment but didn't put it into quote syntax. Which meant when the paragraph in question was quoted by you, it looked like it came from him, and not from me.

He's the one who corrected me. Honestly, I figured that if you'd followed the thread, it was rather easy to see, since it hadn't even gone to two pages yet. But if you're going to get up in arms over a pretty insignificant thing, I'm not certain I'm going to be willing to engage you in conversation in the future, because despite your ability to provide excellent points, it's not worth my time to ensure I'm not unintentionally upsetting you.

Let's all play nice and move on shall we?

Arguing about whether someone intentionally broke the rules actually breaks the rules... we like to keep things on topic.

So... about that limited schedule idea.

It looks like it has potential. Some people really like the idea and others are less enthusiastic.

I would think that it would largely come down to financials.

Maybe players who do like that idea should discuss it with their respective owners?

Stephen

While its appreciated that, rather than descend to name calling or other negative behavior, in the future please take these kinds of conversations to PMs.

It helps keep threads from straying or petering out before their time.

- :zonks:

In our area, there's a primary chapter, a secondary sub chapter, and two other larps that tap the same player base.

As I'm in my 40's, with a wife and a mortgage, I'm seriously having to triage the games I go to (as I tend to go 100% all out when I go to game).

I'm starting to think Spirit Forges for "old folks" should be available for Gobbies or something. I mean, when you just can't keep up with the 20 year old kids (and yeah, technique will balance a bit, but eventually, it does keep up), it would be nice to swap out and do something a wee bit less painful.

I've seen chapters allow people to medforge permanently when they feel they can physically no longer be a more active or martial class. It's like allowing a race change if someone is not able to wear the makeup/prosthetics required for their race.

^This is true. Recently in the SoMN chapter, there has been a small number of race/class changes due to various medical issues and situations. The owners and general managers are people too and understand life happens and I know they are willing to work with players who want to keep playing, but may have a medical barrier to doing so as their current character. It's just a matter of having an honest conversation with them to let them know what is going on and to work out a fair solution.

In a sense, it feels like "full circle". From one-day events we came, to one-day events we can return. I wouldn't mind seeing "2-day" events instead of "3-day" ones, either- start event Saturday morning, sleep over Sat night, end Sunday afternoon.

A big part of the immersion for me is the decorations of the various area. From PC cabins, to mod cabins, to the tavern, the decoration sets the mood and helps bring the players into their characters and promotes staying in-character. It makes the game feel more real to me and I like that. I like that a lot.

Setting up all of those decorations takes a lot of time and effort. It takes me almost 2 hours to decorate my cabin just the way I like it, most of the time (then I have to get dressed and in-character, which can take another half hour or more if I am in a golem), and about 2 hours to pack it all up. Our "taverns" in Seattle and Oregon are decorated really well, and that decoration takes time of players to both set up and take down. Plot and NPCs spend a lot of time setting up their mod cabins, generally at the beginning of an event, and modulate them throughout the weekend. That takes time as well. And it is all worthwhile because those decorations are there the whole weekend, from the wee hours of the morning to the dark hours of the night, to support the continuous RP of the game.

To me, the concept outlined in the OP, where game time is only 15 hours on Saturday, makes the time spent to set all of that up (since you're not in-character except for Saturday) not seem worth it. I know that if I were to attend a game that had this kind of time frame I would not put forth the effort to set up the cabin; 4 hours of set up and take down for 15 hours (if I set up before game on and take down afterwards ... which would be really early and late if I just showed up for Saturday) does not encourage me to put forth the effort. It really doesn't encourage me to even bring all of that extra crap, either.

Not to mention, our Plot/NPCs are run ragged almost all the time (even with our 1.5 PC : 1 NPC ratio we had last event). Trying to squeeze every event down to just 15 hours may impact the quality of story-telling due to (a) characters not having enough IG time to work through things and RP with others, and (b) Plot/NPCs having less break time to try to get everything facilitated. Things would probably need to be cut from the story (and probably simplified) so Plot/NPCs don't go crazy. I would be very concerned for the folks running the game if events were consistently run with this type of time frame.

I feel (this is just a gut feeling, conjecture, not based on anything observed) that the game would then become more like a LAMM (Live-Action-Massively-Multiplayer) game, where the focus of the players was less on the RP and more on the "kick in the door, kill the thing, loot the thing, repeat". The OP concept just doesn't sit well with me.

I am not saying it is a bad idea. I am saying that I think the production quality of the game would decrease, namely the feeling of immersion and thereby the quality of RP. I don't know if I would participate.

Just my opinion.

phedre said:
I've seen chapters allow people to medforge permanently when they feel they can physically no longer be a more active or martial class. It's like allowing a race change if someone is not able to wear the makeup/prosthetics required for their race.

Okay. I'm going to give it some more thought. My pride is fighting me fierce on this, and doesn't want to give up (though a few events like the last one, I may eventually be willing to give in).

Daviomac said:
phedre said:

Okay. I'm going to give it some more thought. My pride is fighting me fierce on this, and doesn't want to give up (though a few events like the last one, I may eventually be willing to give in).

Or, you know- you could simply BE old and play it through.

LAIRE's got one PC who's been a fighter for over 20 real-life years now, and I've watched him go from young man to greybeard in the process. Jokes about someday swinging a cane around instead of a sword, but where's the grief in in-game for aging gracefully? Start an alt, keep the character and the stories and show people there's actually such a thing as an old, bold adventurer. :)

Talen said:
Daviomac said:
phedre said:

Or, you know- you could simply BE old and play it through.

LAIRE's got one PC who's been a fighter for over 20 real-life years now, and I've watched him go from young man to greybeard in the process. Jokes about someday swinging a cane around instead of a sword, but where's the grief in in-game for aging gracefully? Start an alt, keep the character and the stories and show people there's actually such a thing as an old, bold adventurer. :)

Sure, that's an option, but different people need different things in order to have their slice of fun cake. :)

Everyone's fitness and aging process is different. Once someone can no longer swing a stick effectively, I'm personally all for "med forges" to facilitate them having their slice of fun cake.

The aging process is already hard enough and coping with not being able to do what you could at 25 is not only a physical issue but an emotional one. It's also something you really do have to experience to "get" it. I'm 43 and work hard at my fitness and nutrition and still do very well at our games and people probably don't think of me struggling with the aging process. But I judge myself against my 25 year old self at times and it can be rough.

But then I judge my 43 year old net worth against my 25 year old net worth and I feel a little better :thumbsup:

As for the original topic, I'd probably prefer events where the "meat" of the plot occurs in the hours/times suggested, but random encounters, mindless dungeon crawls etc. still occur at the other hours. I do, however, play a game that starts Friday night and ends Saturday night. There is something to be said for having all Sunday to clean up, or leave early or hang out OOG with friends. But I wouldn't pull the plug on Friday personally, as people are so amped up to play and get into game at that point.

Interesting topic Ray!

Back