LARP Question Tuesday: Character Quirks!

My character loves babies and kids. She will immediately stop being big cranky jaguar and start being big stupid house cat for kids.

I feel that playing a stone elf hinges on having a titanic level of denial, so that's been fun to play, and even more fun to watch people not quite get.

Going all snake-spine when she's curious... Or Intoxicated.

Choosing a very small handful of people to actually look out for in the middle of a battle.

Trying to balance being unemotive but literally empathetic and coming out with someone who wants to help the emotional problems of others JUST TO MAKE IT STOP, and who is EXTREMELY bad at it and is JUST NOT LEARNING. I think I've racked up two efforts to fix feels that have severely redirected the event for much or all of the town.

And thank you Dame Ashlynn for teaching Vellis Valeriana to fist-bump in game.

I will be the different tact person and state that I generally dislike quirks as a character objective or design goal. Anyone who has heard my rant of character vs. caricature has some idea of where I am coming from. I have found my characters have quirk-like facets to them for a while, but they often change as the circumstances change. The closest I come is seeking out the left field thoughts and connections and worst case scenarios. Sometimes that seems quirk-like.

Joe S.

Shin's were easy. I didn't particularly like the national Sarr packet at the time (and I still don't, it is still mostly NERO era stuff and needs a rewrite), and there wasn't a local one, so I based him on Large Predator Meets Hagakure.

He was generally a very polite, controlled, and honorable man right up until he wasn't. I exercised a great deal of restraint, and it was a lot of fun playing a seething ball of nihilism and rage with a veneer of control.

I never blame anyone else for how often he rezzed. :p

Taking naps out in the field. Constantly taking naps out in the field... really need to remember to wear more sunblock at games because of that one.

Aversion to responsibility. It's really amusing how she pranks anyone who tries to make her be responsible.

A very scientific view on biology (which she gets from me) that extends over into her fascination with what different races find attractive/flirty.

1) Sometimes someone says a big word, and Zeth gets all extremely confused. Zeth's language has gradually developed (rituals can sometimes send him into simpler speak, for RP reasons, as can exposure to people of a more tribal variety) over the last few years. It's really funny when people go OOG to explain the word to me, and I laugh.

2) When the Original Raccoons were created, we had a -major- fear of Sarr for background reasons. This gradually wore off, but it led to some funny things.

3) Zeth's spirit has a sliver of gypsy in him, thanks to a pair of rituals that went wrong. Or maybe that's just how his mind "accepts" what those rituals did to him. Who knows? But there are times that quirk manifests itself.

I feel that playing a stone elf hinges on having a titanic level of denial, so that's been fun to play, and even more fun to watch people not quite get.

Trying to balance being unemotive but literally empathetic and coming out with someone who wants to help the emotional problems of others JUST TO MAKE IT STOP, and who is EXTREMELY bad at it and is JUST NOT LEARNING. I think I've racked up two efforts to fix feels that have severely redirected the event for much or all of the town.

I forgot a recent one. Drinking a ton, and messing with a Stone Elf for fun.

...I'm a terrible person

My primary's first trip to the wrong side of an Earth circle was an obliterate which messed up him pretty bad; he has subsequently become an absolute *raging* (cannot stress that enough) alcoholic after not having had any "alcohol" prior to that point in his life. But he can stop whenever he wants to.

Built into his background: duels are always to the permanent death as they were in the lands where he is from.

I don't know if this is a "quirk" or not, but he's gotten far more toward 'black and white' with what he thinks is "right" versus what he thinks is "wrong", and will do (or not) regardless of consequence - 'right is right and wrong is wrong' which has lead to some...conflict...a little (and will certainly lead to more...).

1. Durnic could never have children of his own, so he instead pines over any children he finds. He sees them as a new beginning and there have been some emotional moments in-game surrounding babies and Old Man Durnic.
  2. Lots of military jargon thrown about, probably annoys other players tremendously.
  3. As a man with PTSD, he doesn't ever leave his weapons unattended, even sleeping with them in his bunk. He never puts his back to a door that isn't covered by someone he trusts. Still waiting for Durnic to get hit with a hallucinate, 'cause it ain't gonna be pretty.
  4. I am trying to stop swearing in English and swear instead in Sindarin. This is a... difficult... habit to break. I love a good swear. :(

Last edited:
Ian Loves Kids. They are our future after all. Mods involving lost or kidnapped kids, he is there.

It's a kilt. Never a skirt. It my slip by him once deep in the ale or his "Drrank" (better then half the time) but not before.

Ian's Scottish brogue. I lay it on pretty thick but when he gets excited or irritated, it becomes almost incomprehensible. During wave battles, people seem to have gotten used to just looking where his bow is pointed when they hear something they don't understand.

My main Dorgun is honest to the point of suicidal boastfulness. Anything he does, good or bad, he'll tell you (or the local newspaper). Be it saving a bunch of kids from slavers or sabotaging the only hope of saving the lives of some Mystic Wood Elf racial elders (good guys). He'll tell you he did it, he'll tell the authorities he did it, he'll tell the nobles he did it.

This comes from the race packet for the HQ barbarians. His tribe is made up of thieves who specialize in stealing things that supposedly cannot be stolen for no reason other than being able to say they did it (loudly). I've had the opportunity to do so a couple of times (thanks plot!), and on both occasions I gave the thing I stole away almost immediately (the Marshal's face when I gave a Proscribe catalyst back to NPC camp right after the mod was hilarious) because the whole point was that I got it.

I picture him between events robbing noblemen's houses and then dropping rings and necklaces in beggars' bowls on the way home.

@Toddo, you ever read the Gentlemen Bastards series of novels? Sounds up your alley.

Back