Larp Question Tuesday: Favorite Spooky Event

Gunnar

Squire
To get into the season given this week's holiday, what was your favorite spooky event? What happened to make it spooky?

(Were you scared? Was it undead all the time? Did you have flashbacks to your favorite zombie movie?)

Last edited:
My spooky was more of a situation that happened at our last game

Our Earth guild mistress (NPC) told my PC to be very careful because a powerful necromancer was seen around town and that he may likely come to pay us a visit. She left and I was left alone by myself in the dark. Then I around and see the necromancer standing behind me and walking toward me.

My brain started racing trough a list of spells, running was the solution. But suddenly, I realized that it was the same person but playing another PC. He was not playing the necromancer. That was a real relieve.

Last edited:
I gotta hand it to Patrick Von Raven, his first Abysmal Gorge weekend was mad scary. He had the right group of people playing the right group of NPC's it just sent chills down your spine.

Pretty much the entire last Seattle Campaign. Seeing Red eyes pop up out in the woods was scary, other colors were scarier. :p

Seconded! Especially one of the first mods of winding through the woods as a town in the middle of the night with the red eyes poking up in the woods.

It was the middle of winter, a January event. Snow covered the ground, but the lights around the cabins made everything super visible. There was a blood curdling scream from the cabins heard by all if us in the tavern. We go racing down there to try and help. As I approach at full speed a window opens from the back of one of the cabins "Everyone in Zodiac is dead! Get in here now, the ward recognizes you in! the ward recognizes you in! The ward recognizes you in!" As i cross the edge of the building into the space in the middle of all of the cabins, I slide in the snow while trying to get my feet, there are 18 pairs of red eyes (five of these things held off our most powerful group up until this time), and one pair of blue eyes. Without thinking I yell out "What the F is that?" "I don't know, get in here! Ward recognizes you in!". They all turn to look at me as I scramble into the ward, spells banging off the wall and door behind me. My companion Yames wasn't as lucky, they gunned him down, and then walked him around to the cabins and up to the wards. We tried to save him, but we were rebuked and had to retreat. I sat next to a dark elf who catatonically kept repeating " we're all gonna die" while rocking back and forth for over an hour. That was a spooky event.

Last edited:
I think the most spooked I have ever been was some Zombietron field battle at Lindemere, as I watched the others in town get more and more cocky, and slowly get whittled down as they scattered more and more until the players were running scared and being left dead on the field.

Plot wise...and keeping it wholly in Alliance (because Wildlands for those who played)...I guess I would say those moments when everyone was on edge and out in the woods for some reason. You could try and run in that circumstance (as opposed to being trapped), but there was an ominous threat from something unknown. I just have never known the name of any plot that was going on at the time when that occured.

Joe S.

Oh man one mod that I was a NPC for in Oregon was pretty spooky.

The adventurers all gathered into the mind of one of the PC's sister (played by a NPC). We went out to the beach at the camp and had a long corridor lined with candles that the players couldn't leave. All along the way the NPC shadows walked back and forth outside the corridor mumbling and whispering. The women on the mod were the different aspects of the sisters mind and they would let out blood curdling screams. We almost thought we were going to have the cops called on us for that. It was amazing.

Joe,
I NPCed that. They started us by lying on the ground. My body heat got sucked up by the grass so I was shivering on the ground waiting for the pcs. Oh man, just the watch of 'they're...they just keep coming out of the ground...RUN!' realization was a really cool time as an NPC. We were slow, tiny and dumb, but just the number of NPCs and respawns made that scary for the PCs. It was a great encounter.

-Ali

Now my first WTF spooked moment ever was in 1991(?) in Mass, walking down a trail with one of the courts, and a fight with some undead erupts violently from a wooded trail that is black as pitch...a hold is called and just as they are ready to lay back on, a lightning strike hits....and there are maybe 40-50 NPC's all in undead makeup staring at us. (Might have been more).

Joe S.

Several people have mentioned Alliance Seattle's last campaign, in the Valley of the Ghosts, and I will too. My first event (ever) we had to go walk up a trail into the woods in the middle of the night. All of a sudden seemingly out of nowhere red eyes behind us, red eyes in front and red eyes on either side. I was very scared, IG and OOG and I didn't know anyone on the PC side which didn't help; I was almost frozen. It took being attacked and recognizing the voice as one of my friends that let me break out and actually get back in the game; to this day I have never been happier to hear a Chaos Storm. :)

My very first Hallowe'en event: The Asylum, written by Eric Gibson back in '00 Syraandor (old NH)

Honestly, the psychology of the whole event was terrifying. The Sandman knew what made you tick, and Eric used his Social Worker training for delightful evil. It absolutely broke my first PC, and opened up my eyes to all sorts of new ways to mess with PCs.

~Kate

Pretty much the entire last Seattle Campaign. Seeing Red eyes pop up out in the woods was scary, other colors were scarier. :p

THIS CAMPAIGN BASICALLY MADE ZETH IMMUNE TO FEAR FOREVER.

"INTIMIDATE ME? MAN, I FACED THE LORD OF ECHOES. YOU CAN'T SCARE ME."

Yes. The capslock is legitimately appropriate.

Also have to agree that seeing the Na'Hui in Seattle light up all around you was terrifying. Especially not knowing what to expect in the chapter.

Back