LARPer travel problem

HI!
I'm eager to join the world of LARPing, particularly the Oregon chapter. I have a rulebook and have read through it. I would like to npc at an event sometime soon, the only problem is transportation. I'm 18, but I don't have a lincense yet (I'm a slacker) or a car. I was wondering if there was any Oregon chapter LARPers who live in the Eugene/Springfield area who would be willing, or already do, carpool to events. If anyone can fill me in, that would be great! :)

Hello there, and welcome!

I live and work in Eugene, and attend events at the Oregon and Seattle chapters. Unfortunately, I'm already in the Portland area for the weekend, so I can't help you out with the next game day, although if you could get here somehow, I would be able to drive you back.

My carpooling situation varies from Event to Event, but it usually involves me driving my car up, and having 0-3 passengers along the way. If you hit me up on PM or through other means, we could probably coordinate something, especially if you have the means to contribute toward gas.

Sorry for responding exceptionally late, I've been preoccupied lately :/
but thanks! If it's not too late, I might join you on the 14th depending on when you leave. what time do you usually take off?

one more thing, because I still new to the forums, I can't pm anyone yet :mad:
you might have to pm me first.

Im with him i dont have a ride and i live in the dalles oregon i would even pay gas money for the next event and i feel kinda left out cause i made a post and no one respond to me and i have 49 views i my dont know the new rules but i played over a year if i have i start over and i could use some help making my weapons

wolftack said:
Im with him i dont have a ride and i live in the dalles oregon i would even pay gas money for the next event and i feel kinda left out cause i made a post and no one respond to me and i have 49 views i my dont know the new rules but i played over a year if i have i start over and i could use some help making my weapons

As far as the ride goes for the next event I believe I will be attending the December event and I will have to drive right through The Dalles on 84 to get to the site so I would be more than happy to swing by and pick you up.

I would recommend you pick up the PDF of the rulebook: http://www.double-dragon-ebooks.com/sin ... &x=62&y=77

This has all the information on weapon construction guidelines as well as a how to on weapon construction.

Also here are a couple of good videos to watch on boffer construction but remember that all Alliance boffers must have "thrusty/squishy" foam tips on both ends of the weapon. Also the lengths mentioned in the video are for a different game.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APtljVm28_8
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayEVTxY_ ... re=related

Egor said:
As far as the ride goes for the next event I believe I will be attending the December event and I will have to drive right through The Dalles on 84 to get to the site so I would be more than happy to swing by and pick you up.

You're coming to a game. Wooohoo! PC'ing or NPC'ing?

Egor said:

I was totally the cameraman for those. :shades:

I've got weekends off till the end of the year, and may not have a vehicle for the December event. Is there anyone int eh Beaverton area who will be heading up Saturday, even for one day?

Avaran said:
Egor said:

You're coming to a game. Wooohoo! PC'ing or NPC'ing?

Egor said:

I was totally the cameraman for those. :shades:

It's not 100% that I am coming but I am pretty sure I can go. I will be PC'ing.

Our next weekend event is December 9-11, 2011 at Brooks Memorial ELC.

Alliance Oregon's 2010-2011 event schedule can be found by clicking here. Keep track of that thread for updated event information and dates!

ok i think i can make it my bday is 112/17 but i might be fling out on the 16th to see my family. can some one help me on the weapons and armor

Hey, wolftack, welcome! Were you planning on playing a PC or NPC at your first game? If NPC, then you don't need to worry about weapons or armor- NPC camp will provide all the game items you'll need. If you plan to PC, then it really depends on what kind of armor/weapons you want. Personally, I started out buying a leather coat from a thrift store and sewing fur (scavenged from a thrift store fur coat) to it. : )

If you have the funds, you could outright buy armor and latex weapons from places like http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/. If money is more of an issue, pick up a PDF copy of the rulebook (~$6), it has detailed explanations for how to make a simple weapon. Unfortunately, I don't know of any of our current members who live in The Dalles, but we sometimes have fighter practice days in Portland or Corvallis, where people are available to help with the actual building of your weapon. Keep an eye on our forums to see if any of those days are planned. If you aren't able to get a weapon built in time for the event, be sure to post in the week/week and a half before the event to see if anyone has a weapon you could borrow for the game.

Sorry your first post was missed, I would guess that since it was posted right around the time of our event, it was lost in the pre/post event excitement.

~Carmen

well i kinda been shaooping around on stuff im going to pc if i can get it if not i be npcing can you tell me wat npcing do in the camp

wolftack said:
well i kinda been shaooping around on stuff im going to pc if i can get it if not i be npcing can you tell me wat npcing do in the camp

As an NPC, you are the random monsters & characters making up the weekend that the PCs are pitted against (and sometimes with). NPC camp supplies costuming, weapons, makeup, & masks.
NPC'ing is good for learning a wide variety of the skills, spells, and effects as you will be several different types of things over the course of a weekend. Additionally, you have a very good group with the knowledge to ask questions of, which helps you learn the rules quickly.

We who are about to NPC salute you as we die horribly over and over again!
It's actually a lot of fun. Ham it up if the situation merits it. Die horribly, screaming vengeance against the adventurers that done you! Merchant NPC? Make em haggle! thief NPC? Buy a round of drinks and earn their trust, have an escape route set up, make them EARN that kill :)
After all, it's all about the fun, not just dying messily for the amusement of all around you.

One of my best personal moments NPCing: The lone survivor of a goblin attack on the party, I actually successfully made it out alive by walking through the middle of a group of approx 2 dozen adventurers by doing an exaggerated “sneak sneak” motions and actually saying in a loud voice “SNEAK! SNEAK!”
As I was moving past them I finally hear someone go “Wait a minute…did that goblin just tiptoe past us going “sneak, sneak”?” “I think so…” “Let’s…not tell anyone that we let that happen, okay?”

wolftack said:
for npc if i dont have could i barrow some im low on money

Weapons and costumes are provided for NPC's also in the Alliance Oregon Chapter there is no cost to NPC so all you need bring is yourself.
A black shirt and pants are recommended also you will want to bring sleeping gear of some sort sleeping bag and pillow. There are bunks with mattress's so you won't need a pad.

There is a small fee for Food I think it's $10.00. You can also bring your own food or starve but I don't think that's recommended.

Back