LARPing at the Renaissance Festival?

OrcFighterFTW

Spellsword
According to the recently released 2013 schedule for the Minnesota Renaissance Festival, Festival Friday on September 27, 2013 will feature LARPing!!!

However, the webpage currently only states "Information coming soon!" (http://www.renaissancefest.com/festivalfriday.html)

Anyone know anything about this?

Chances are it's an SCA group or something. We've looked into doing it but the options provided to us were not a good fit for our needs.

Something tells me it's not the SCA. They try to distance themselves from larping as much as possible even though what they do really is larping. Maybe Amtgard, don't they have a group in the cities?

They do, or they might be assuming we'll do it, and haven't gotten around to asking yet. (More common than you might think) ^.^ Amtgard sounds about right though.

Well I don't know about the MN Ren Faire, but I am the Craft Coordinator for the 2013 season of Ren in the Glen (Ren faire in Glenwood City, WI), and you are all invited to come and RP if you would like. The premise is an enchanted glen, so any races would fit right in. Cost is $5 and there will be food (for purchase), shopping, and entertainment. It is a small second year tent faire, nothing like the MN ren faire. One weekend only.

http://glenfests.com/

KyleSchmelz said:
Something tells me it's not the SCA. They try to distance themselves from larping as much as possible even though what they do really is larping. Maybe Amtgard, don't they have a group in the cities?

Used to be in SCA for about 8 years, you are so right about distancing themselves from role playing.
"Historical Reenactment"
There results though are quite impressive, execution of things like court, yearly wars, crafting of really fine goods and musical talents blows us out of the water.
If we could attach brain monsters to steal there technical talents, our chapter would grow so much richer with textual immersion.

Harlequin said:
If we could attach brain monsters to steal there technical talents, our chapter would grow so much richer with textual immersion.

Alexander has the market cornered on those.

I bet it's Amtguard. Brian B's brother moved up here and kinda kicked their local chapter in the pants. I keep hearing about events through them.

Dagohir is actually what I meant.

If it is Dag I would be careful if your thinking of going to it. The rule set is a LOT different then our own. I play Dag down in GA and I personally have a lot of fun playing it but it is definitely not for everyone. They hit hard but use more padding (this means you feel it, and you might walk away with a couple bruises, but you WONT be seriously hurt) and allow shield and body contact. If anyone wears real armor (not home made stuff) then that will pass in their game though needs to at least be thick leather. Our weapons will NOT pass in Dag. Your always welcome to bring them but to NOT have them tested. Our ultralights WILL snap in two on the first swing.

That said the game is a lot of fun and I do recommend it to everyone. Give it a shot and see if its your cup of tea. If anyone wants to make some Dag weapons let me know I can walk you though it...

Back