Latex Weapons

If you intend to bring a latex weapon to Alliance Deadlands, please bring a standard costruction boffer weapon as a back-up. All latex weapons will be considered on a case by case basis. Anyone using latex weapons in a banned or unsafe manner, ie stabbing or walaying, will have all weapon privledges removed for 24 hours. If you have any questions feel free to email me at deadlandsrules@gmail.com or reply to this thread. Thank you for your time and attention.

Sean Metzler
Deadlands Head of Rules

PS. Latex weapons will be allowed in various chapters, since we as an Alliance have voted that they are acceptable to use. They will be allowed on a chapter by chapter basis. NH will be allowing them.

The specific rules for latex weapons will either be posted, included in the addendum, included in the next printing of the rule book, or perhaps all three. Suffice to say, don't worry. The guidelines for latex weapons are coming.

question,

hypothetically speaking if you have a magic weapon that is a boffer would one be allowed to get a latex weapon to represent the magic weapon... as I understand it, magical item should not be changed once they are repped, but i didnt know if this would be an exception. Obviously i would assume the latex weapon would have to match very closely to the original description.

Also, as a side note this does not mean that you can construct a sword without stab or waylaying tips under the assumption that you can not stab or waylaying with it. Standard boffer weapons will still be held to standard safety guidlines.

Sean Metzler
Deadlands Head of Rules

Are there any Latex Weapons out there with soft cell foam thrusting tips? I understand that half the argument for not thrusting is that they're pointy, but in the off chance that it has squisher foam would thrusting be allowed with the sword if deemed safe? I am expecting a "no" because it makes things very complicated, but I'm just curious more than anything. Thanks.

P.S.
I am very happy about this change.

I don't know too much about Latex weapons, I've never actually examined one in real life before.

EDIT: What is your policy on latex Thrown Weapons?

As with all latex weapons this will be determined on a case by case basis,if you can produce a latex weapon with the prerequisite 2" open cell foam required then it may be permited to use for stabbing purposes. Once again there is no sure way to know until the weapon has been inspected.

Sean Metzler
Deadlands Head of Rules

Hey everyone,

Yeah, remember me? i'm "that guy" from a few months ago that said i'd be opening a store near the claremont site...

Anyway, to all you players interested in ordering latex weapons, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE look to me for weapons...I am scrambling every which way to get a professional (brand-name) weapons maker to partner with my new business, and since I am ALSO in the process of trying to order a "sample pack" of the weapons to send to get officially safety approved but haven't yet, I am stuck without being able to offer the weapons for a little while longer. I am hopeful to get this done within this month, so if anyone's looking to get weapons ordered and ready for this upcoming season, and especially for those worried about spending money on something not yet safety approved, know i'm doing all I can to really get the ball rolling; keep off those purchase-fingers for just a little while longer, and believe me, i'll do my best to get you great weapons at a great price AND hopefully even pre-approved...so again, PLEASE at least ask me about what I will be able to offer if you are in the shopping market for latex weapons. I'll gladly explain what I can about the ones I will offer. I would say the brand name for my weapons, but I am not technically partnered yet, so I can't outright advertise that just yet.

If you're interested, please send me a PM on here or a reply to this post and I'll do my best to reply and let you know all I can.

Sincerely,
James aka Strago

Hey,

Just a quick status update...

The weapon vendor I spoke about (see above post) will be very soon sending me a "sampler" of weapons, which I will be hopefully receiving in about 3 weeks. After they have been looked over and determined safe or not by Deadlands staff, they will be available for purchase. If anyone would like to know more about the weapons I should be getting, please send me a reply and I will let you know what is coming, as well as the brand of the weapons.

-James

Hey James,

I would like to know more about the weapons that you are going to have - particularly what they are made of and how they are/are not sealed - just out of curiosity. You can email me at thelonemonkey at gmail dot com if you don't want to post it here for some reason.

Hey,

Well, first I wanted to state that the weapons are professionally made, partially machine & partially by hand. I have done some personal research & bought several other brands, but found this one to be the best for latex weapons. In general from what I've seen the latex weapons consist of some sort of special foam, covered with latex, and coated with a layer of some sort similar to silicone. The brand I am trying to get approved has a very strong outer layer on all the weapons, which means quite a bit less maintenance, and additionally feels a bit softer than the other brands out there; the foam also seems to absorb impact very well, which makes the weapons honestly the best I have found out there.

Now in other news, these weapons are not safety-approved by any means yet, but if anyone is indeed interested in purchasing latex-style weapons, again please contact me before buying elsewhere; I am hoping to get my "sampler" of weapons soon, and can at least send you a list of what I will be getting with pricing...

Sincerely,
James aka Strago

James,

Let me know as soon as that batch you mentioned is in.

Hey all,

I wanted to post a few things regarding the progress and status of the latex weapons.

First, I wanted everyone to know - it's official, the brand I am now able to offer is Palnatoke! This brand of primarily latex swords is from what I have seen the best quality and safest for latex weapons. I have received my initial "demo" shipment of swords, and have already set a time to have them looked at by a staff member for the Deadlands chapter. I will be sure to let you know after the meeting what has been decided regarding their safety status (keeping my fingers crossed that they pass).

In the meantime, I invite anyone to at least check out the Palnatoke site, and browse through the catalog to get an idea of what the weapons look like, and to get a bit of background information on the weapons manufacturer (see below for links). In terms of the costs, I am still in the midst of calculating what I can do, but please know my prices will be as competitive as I can afford to make them. I will post another reply after this one with what weapons I currently have in stock, along with measurements (total lengths) of the weapons and prices. I won't post pictures here since they would take up a fair amount of space, but if anyone would like pictures just ask and i'll gladly send you as many as you like. The weapons are all in the catalog (link below), though the pommel (waylay tip) on two are slightly different than the catalog; I believe they are from the 2008 models made. The cross-hilts are the same as the catalog, on the swords with actual hilts.

The primary website for Palnatoke:
http://www.palnatoke.com/
And the direct link for the catalog (in .pdf pages):
http://www.palnatoke.com/presentations/

Please let me know if any of you are indeed interested in the swords; I am very hopeful that you will support my cause and buy a quality latex sword at the same time!

-James Aka Strago

*Edit*
I bring good news...my weapons have been looked over by Gary from the Deadlands chapter, and most of the weapons passed his safety approval! This does not guarantee that any weapon bought through me is automatically approved, but it is looking like most of the weapons from my brand will have a high safety approval. I have updated the below list to properly reflect the changes in my item stock, as well as noted which two weapons were deemed unsafe and the reasons. They may be useful for sparring or non-event purposes, so for not I'll keep the pricing as-is. Also, all weapons still available will soon have pictures on my facebook account for those who would like photos; I will be sure to let you know when they are available.

Squire series
Woodland – Long (40 inches) - $75
Cleaver – Long (40 inches) - $90; small chip near the tip (flaw), bloody paint (by design) - $10 discount = $80

Ragnarok Series (a side note regarding this series; all weapons are short length only, and the weapon blades are slightly softer)
Warrior – Short (30 inches) - $45 – bubbles near hilt (flaw), different pommel (by design) - $5 discount - $40

Dagger Series
Tanto – Dagger (18 1/2 inches) - $50 – Different hilt (by design)

(Squire series) Marauder - Semi( 33 inches) - $80; Rust paint on sword (by design) - Deemed Unsafe (core is not centered, making the foam too thin on one side)
(Ragnarok series) Ninja – Short (30 1/4 inches) - $45 - Green hilt, different pommel (by design) - Deemed Unsafe (slightly whippy & foam is slightly too soft)

Regardless of purchasing a weapon, I want to thank you for reading this, and hope to see you in the future at my storefront!

Sincerely,
James aka Strago

Hey,

I just received an email back from the Palnatoke contact, basically answering a few questions I was asked by people, and so I am sending what I was given for information here. First, the pictures in the catalog were taken by a camera with quite the flash; the blades are not silver but rather a dark, nearly black, color. Second, I now have been informed that there are three lengths available for the weapons; short (roughly 26 3/4 inches), semi (roughly 34 inches), and long (roughly 41 inches). I will likely be posting some pictures of the weapons I currently have on my facebook page later tonight, so you can see a bit more accurate view of the weapons; I'll add a link when I have one.

Also, for those going to the NH faire day (4/17), expect to see me there; I am hoping to go, and if i do I will be sure to bring the weapons for a more direct "inspection..."

-James aka Strago

James,

Pick up more Daos and Woodlands. Those passed inspection and were VERY popular in Caldaria.

BTW, I managed to trim the 34 inch woodland down to 32 without any problems. You can't even tell that I did so. The trick is to use shoe glue to re-attach the foam, then re-wrap the grip.

Gary

I used the Woodland sword for the entire Caldaria weekend, and didn't get a single complaint. It is a very nice weapon and I highly suggest it to anyone thinking about getting a latex weapon.

Back