Laws of Eloria

Sorry it took me so long to transcribe this to the dream realm.

Maxwell

Attachments

• Eloria Law 1.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • Eloria Law 2.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • Eloria Law 3.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • Eloria Law 4.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • Eloria Law 5.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
I would hope that no adventurer ever takes a case to such a corrupt court.

- Velnaeus Xevaz, of the Seekers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a suggestion after reading those laws, don't use the "c" word so quickly vel, many people can dream and people may get offended.
Ardos Irani
Selunari defender

It's all a matter of point of view.
Many areas allow for trial by combat.
How is this really different?

Corrupt: an adjective meaning to have or show a willingness to act dishonesty in return for money or personal gain. It is not an opinion: the word corrupt is the definition of page five, Justice of Coin. The other two are not exact fits, but they each hold the direct sway of money over the truth. There is no argument to be had here.

I'd never be the type to judge how other people make their decisions, money sure seems less bloody than trial by combat so it's interesting to see folks experimenting with it as a rule of law! Honestly in the end these things will change eventually right? So what's the big deal?

-Kalith Toovir

Kalith,

Under Justice of Coin, whoever has more money wins the trial: and not only that, but others outside the two on trial may contribute. This means that if you belong to a group with significant gold, you will likely never be convicted of any crime you commit. Under this law, if I had one hundred gold, and you had one gold, I could murder you, pay more money than you in the trial, and as long as outsiders don't boost your funds over mine, YOU get punished for being murdered. And all the coin that was collected goes to the empire, some of it more likely than not to the Sheriff himself. You could even be brought to court for NOTHING, and be killed because you don't have money. There is SO much wrong with this I don't even have the will or patience to dream it all up, suffice to say that it is a system we should NEVER stoop to.

Just imagine having a friend murdered by someone, and when that friend brought up charges, he was killed AGAIN because he didn't have the money to win, and you didn't have enough money to pitch in over the murderer's cohorts. That is this system, in a nutshell.

Oh sure, I read them and I get it, but that's really not any different than you having the bigger army, or more magic, or home field advantage. There will always be heroes about to keep an eye on things and prevent abuses, heck isn't that a lot of what adventuring is all about?

-Kalith Toovir

The point is that adventurer law tends to err on the side truth, not power. As long as we adventurers agree not to bring any quarrels to the empire, there too much need for concern. Past other citizens of the empire, such as Contract Apocalypse, using these laws against us.

"In cases of justice between individuals or groups of individuals"
In a case where you break a law of Eloria, such as murder, you are subject to the punishment for breaking that law.
In disputes between two parties, where no distinct law is broken, you would go to a trial of Coin, Battle, or Oath.
It is essentially dueling with coin.

~Ahlana

Ah. I'm glad that was cleared up. However, that still leaves the threat of being challenged and having your throat slit, or being resurrected, because you don't have enough money to defend yourself. I will admit, it is slightly less pressing as long as it is only when a law is not broken.

I fail to see how it is different from being challenged to a duel by a bigger, stronger, more experienced person.
Either you can defend yourself or you can't, be it coin or sword.

The only real difference, is other parties can more easily influence the outcome.
I would argue that is more fair in some ways.
As a young "innocent" person can gain the support of the locals, rather than simply being cut down.
Yes, sure, you could argue that that influence is corruption.
But it a way, it is a trial by your peers.
Most people seem to desire that.

Back