Laws of stradyn question

Tantarus

Knight
I notice that many of the crimes dont have punishments listed, such as Bribery or Manslaughter. Where as other crimes have very specific punishments like Arson and Cannibalism. Are the ones missing punishments just omitted information on accident? If so can we get those updated? Or maybe I am just missing something?

Also mutual combat in the form of duels, is it legal?

Also Battery has "Those who can prove they are or were under the effect of a berserk or other mind controlling effect would not be guilty of Battery, but the individual who placed the effect on that person would be guilty of Battery. "

But other crimes dont have this exception listed. Does that mean if you are controlled and commit other crimes there is no exception? Seems unlikely to me that was the intent.

Please advise. Makes it hard to enforce laws currently.

Thanks,
Andy

Last edited:
I will second this request for a little more clarification. I know that the laws are intended to be simple, but as a guy who talks about them all the time with new characters/players (and old ones) the above questions do come up.

The first question, about unlisted punishments, is answered in the punishments (fines) section of the Laws of Stradyn. (The underlining is mine.)

"All crimes will carry a minimum fine or sentence. Note that these are mandated minimums. Magistrates and judging nobles can (and often do) impose harsher penalties based on the circumstances of the crimes and perpetrators.

Unless otherwise stated the minimum required fines are as follows:

-Committed against Citizen – 1 Gold Piece
-Committed against a Recognized Institution or Establishment – 5 Gold Pieces
-Committed against a Royal Guild – 10 Gold Pieces
-Committed against Royal Court or Court Members – All crimes committed against the Royal Court holdings or individuals have Treason offenses attached."

So manslaughter against a citizen could only 1 gold fine? but arson of say a chair you dont own, is being burnt to death? I think some more guidance would be keen, As the prime person that has to enforce alot of laws, I hate to over punish someone needlessly.

Also my other questions remain even if that is the case.

Last edited:
Well thats the minimum, and the beginning of the laws states that conplexity is the enemy of civility.

Arson and some other laws have specific adjusted minimums based on the heinousness of the crime. Arson is a crime that could easily lead to deaths and destruction of entire villages. Cannibalism is a gruesome and vile act. So on and so forth.

Basically I think in this fuedalish society whatever the noble decides goes...and if they are abusing their power high ups will deal with it.

Interesting perhaps that is the case, still would like to know about mutual combat and exceptions for berserk and other mind controlling effects.

Back