Laws of the Land

Darkcrescent

Baron
Chicago Staff
Marshal
I think it's often forgotten, or often ignored, but as scribed and enforced by the Royal Family and the Magistrate of Gaden, I will remind those of the Laws of Gaden. As I always do, I carry with me the official document of these laws and common punishments whenever it is needed. Through my experience this last year as Deputy Sheriff, I feel now, as we are about to start many great days of market, that this reminder is much needed. I present to you, the official Laws of Gaden:

Common Man Laws – The below Laws applie to all citizens in Gaden or its protectorates and territories.

Legal Definitions:
Accomplice – One who willfully operates, aids, or assists in a crime.
Conspiracy – The planning between two or more people to commit a crime.

Sentient Beings – Sentient Beings are legally defined as a member of the following races and no others – Human, Barbarian, Gypsies, High Orcs, High Ogres, Biata, Stone Elves, Sarr, Wylderkyn, Hoblings, Dryads, Dark Elves, Elves, Dwarves and Mystic Wood Elves.

Offenses

Assault – The unprovoked attack on another sentient being in any manner including weapons, spells, alchemy, or traps.

Bribery – The offering, giving or receiving of something of value for the purpose of affecting the outcome of decisions, or actions involving public or legal duties.

Commerce Violations (Taxes) – The purposeful withholding of any monies or duties that are required by the duly registered or appointed authority of an area.

Counterfeiting/Forgery – The production or replication of any item of value including but not limited to money, formal scrolls and components and magic items, with the intent of falsely misrepresenting them as being real. This law also covers the signing or alteration of anyone’s signature other then your own with the intent to defraud or misrepresent any document or writ.

Creating an illegal Circle of Power – Any Circle of Power lasting longer then one hour may only be placed if written permission from a Noble of the town is given. Any Circles placed without permission will be destroyed at the owner’s expense and a monetary fine will be imposed.

Illegal Ritual Magics – The act of engaging in any ritual magics that create a danger or instability of any kind for the surrounding region. This includes all necromantic rituals and any unsanctioned summoning rituals. Any casting performed by a duly registered journeyman of the Celestial or Earth Guilds of Gaden, or recognized equivalents, is by nature sanctioned.

Impersonating a Noble – Falsely presenting ones self as a noble or acting as if a Noble has given you permission to act in their name when they have not.

Kidnapping – The unlawful taking and holding of a sentient being against their will.

Mind control elixirs, items, or magic- The use of mind control effects within any part of Gaden for the reason of committing or concealing a crime is illegal. Enslavement and Amnesia effects are illegal to own, transport, conceal, or use.

Murder – The unprovoked taking of sentient life to the causing of a resurrection, the lesser charge of attempted Murder is included and used when the intended victim is restored to health via a life spell.

Necromancy – The aiding or creating of undead or the use of any magic, item, or potion which calls upon the powers of chaos, or has been created through Necromancy. The possession of any item considered Necromantic in nature is also illegal.

Perjury – To lie or make false or misleading statements to anyone charged with the investigation a crime or to a magistrate presiding over a trial. This also includes a lie or misleading statement made to a Noble for any reason.

Slavery – The buying or selling or ownership of any sentient being. The use of enslavement elixirs is also slavery.

Smuggling – The transportation of any illegal goods in or out of the borders of the kingdom.

Theft – The taking of a nobles, or registered guild members property without permission through force or guile. Also includes possessions of another sentient race.

Treason – The involvement in any form of criminal action against a Noble, disobeying a direct Noble order, or any action attempting to incite rebellion are all forms of treason. This law also covers the involvement in any type of action against the kingdom itself such as aiding a sworn enemy of the Kingdom.

I hope you all keep these in mind as future market days come up, and everyday for that matter. Together we can keep Gaden thriving, through all times of trouble and success.

- Deputy Sheriff Asher of Shademarch

The wording for theft appears rather bulky, would it not be more simply stated as: The taking of the property of another member of a sentient race. I understand that theft against certain victims such as nobles or guild members is quite possibly more dire than that of a common farmer, but the wording is rather confusing and makes it seem like the only real crime is against nobles or guild members. I mean no offense to any members of the law enforcement of Gaden, just my humble thoughts on the wording of a law.

-Thorgrim Stoneaxe, of the Runebinder Clan

I agree Thorgrim, which is why I added a sentence to clarify that it applies to all sentient beings, not just nobility or guildsmen. Perhaps Sheriff York, or even His Lord Magistrate can weigh in on these laws; however I feel most are self explanatory.

-Asher

If those be only laws, then you charge me with one that NO EXIST!

Many say me die many times for punishment, obliterate me spirit, or pay many gold for crime that no exist: Ask earth mages IF use necromancy. It be crime for ask question?!!!

This be why me run. Me run from unjust punishment of crime that no be crime. Me no able read or write or cast simple cure light wounds. How me then aid in cast necromancy? How me then aid THREE times?! Me only ask question for help STOP necromantic creatures and undead from be created by runes that want necromancy. For try help stop and fight those tainted creatures, me called NECROMANCER. For try make rune stop, me called CRIMINAL. Deputy Sheriff drag me name and honor through mud after me shed blood for save others and fight against dark creatures.

This no make sense for justice. So me run until gain more strength, more allies, for fight against injustice with greater power!

Me know that run away be disobey order from noble, Sir Thalen, because he say no run. But what you do when more than half town say you need DIE for something you no do? DIE for something that no be listed as crime? DIE at pure will of those with power or numbers for control situation because they have temporary power of number or more permanent power of title? Numbers can be make less. Title can be take away. Honor must always be restored and justice prevail.

If me commit treason for run away for bring attention of abuse of power, then me commit treason against dishonor with TRUE HONOR!!!

Greater power still be out there. Me still go find. Me still bring back. Me have new purpose for it.

-Cho Ko Nu

Drag your through the mud Chokonu? People, a lot of people wanted you dead, many wanted to commit the act right there. I gave you a fine. I never dishonored your name; I acted out against those wanting you dead.

I will find you Cho. You are a friend. I believe you are innocent. I was tasked with finding witnesses for your hearing, and I had good witnesses in mind. However, you ran. As it is my duty, I will find you, even if I have to skip the next market day to bring you back, I will find you. You can still be found innocent, but you have to turn yourself in.

-Asher

I stand by Asher's conviction, for what it's worth.

On my first day of adventuring in Hope's Reach I met you after a long and difficult battle against the undead. It was you who suggested the idea of following the path to becoming a knight. You may have been a wily merchant with your suspicious looking games of chance but I felt you had a good heart. When I saw the result of your spirit forge I was in awe of your new strength. Your tribe is still in Pratorak, but what chance do you have of finding them alone? With every passing day I know we are re-taking more of the land back. You are not destined to be on the run from the law, especially if you are innocent. I pray you, return and turn yourself in. If you hold truth in your heart and goodwill in your actions then I know justice will prevail.

-Anthony Roe

Asher,

By fine of gold, you still say me guilty. Me begin pay gold for prevent others from kill me. It be bribe for life. If me innocent, then why me still pay 10 gold? How that fair justice? For fine that say me guilty be how you bring dishonor for me name. That be why Sir Thalen remove fine and then he want me go with him.

If you keep others from kill me and enforce that if more than two people CONSPIRE FOR MURDER me, and that be crime and you punish them for it like law says, then me come back and me honor can be restored.

Anthony,

Me glad you remember me fight undead, no want make them. That exactly be what me try stop when this accused necromancy happen. Me try stop runes from make more and more and more undead.

For any adventurers that want me dead,

Me find out who you be. Deputy Sheriff Asher already know who you be. You be punished by law of Gaden for conspiracy for commit murder. If me turn me self in, then me expect you do same. If you no turn self in, then you dishonor me, you dishonor you self, you family, you friends, and especially you dishonor law of Gaden.

Asher again,

If you prevent others from kill me, then you know they intend for murder and conspire for it. Me no come back if only be around group of people that want me dead and they allowed for try it. If you charge them all for crime and we all face trial and accept punishment fit for crimes if guilty, then me turn me self over and trust law be there for every one.

-Cho Ko Nu

Keep in mind, there's the laws of Gaden, and what the sherrif enforces.

In fact, the laws almost entirely do not apply to commoners. As written, I could take all of Jonathon's items and it isn't theft, as verified by the magistrate. (Of course, we haven't had a magistrate show in a long time, so many of you would not know this). However, if I did the same to York, who is kind of a psuedo-noble, it would be punishable.

What Asher enforces is entirely up to him and the other Sherrifs. For example, for a time, when Fern was Sherrif, he would heavily punish anyone who kept ANY item during an adventure, everything had to be divided. That was technically not against Gaden law.

I've heard other lands have all sorts of rules and regulations. There's books and books, even libraries of the stuff. They have courts, juries, and all sorts of crazy nonsense. What we have is frontier justice, and common decency. That means if the entire town turns against you, whatever you did must have been wrong.

I'm not sure what kind of trouble you got yourself into Cho Ko Nu, but if you're associating with necromancy, I'm sorry, but there won't be a piece of you left for anyone else once I'm through with you.

Hunter Davion
Chosen of Luna

That is very true Davion. We Sheriffs were appointed to use the Laws of Gaden as guidance for our decisions. Each is guided with the minimum, and maximum average penalties for these actions. That is what is used, and what needs to be done in these times.

Be it York, myself or any other lawman, I would hope you offer them respect, and respect their decisions and rulings.

- Asher Oakheart
Sheriff of Hope's Reach
Deputy Sheriff of Shademarch

You say might makes right and deal with it?

Me can play that game. Me play that game very good.

-Cho Ko Nu

Cho,
I fear I have never gotten to know vou vell. Vut I remind vou might iz a game that no vone vins. There iz alwayz someone more mighty than vou, me, anyvone for that matter. It iz only vy team vork, bonds of loyalty, and community that any foe may ve overcome.

Kitaruen Kopanari

Back