Laws of the Land

Kitaruen

Knight
Those of you who know me know I may not always follow the laws of the land as I respect nobles who deserve it not because of their title and in the past always put family first. But with that said I have always believed in knowing the laws of the land I am in as IF I disobey the law I like to do it in full disregard not accidental disregard of the norms and morals of the land.

I have spent time to study the laws of the region in the library of the capital. Here is what I have learned.

Laws:
Acts that harm a person or their property are punishable.
Acts against a noble are punishable.
Acts against the crown are punishable.
Acts that utilize Necromancy are punishable.
Acts that involve the ownership or sale of slaves are illegal, however indentured servitude is an acceptable punishment.

Depending on the severity of the act, the punishment is decided either via trial by jury or trial by noble.

These were the laws under the Royal Family, and during the war there hasn't been any published rewrites of the laws.

Enslavement and other commands are not explicitly illegal it seems but could based on interpretation of the noble fall under the prohibition of slavery or fall under harming of said person. So I would use caution when enforcing your will upon others.

The truth is we as adventurers could easily topple the fledgling coalition government if we backed the royals but the royals have proven themselves twisted in their mentality and not with the best interests of the land and people as a whole. Know Shadow's Light backs the coalition. On which let it be said anyone who interacts with a "simple earthmage" Mr Everest or whatever he likes to be called -please let him know my brother and I are coming for him.

See you all soon. I leave you with some words to ponder on. We as adventurers far too often do not respect our own place in the world of Fortannis nor our true impact......

My name is not my own,
It is borrowed from my ancestors,
I must return it unstained, not dirty

My honor is not my own
It is on loan from my descendants
I must give it to them unbroken. It is our bond.

Our blood is not our own,
it is a gift to generations yet unborn,
We should carry it with responsibility

Kitaruen Kopanari Stin Svetlo Targoatian

True indeed - Eberrus, as I believe his actual name is, will get what's coming to him.

~ Gandian

Eberrus and Cleavius were the two who led the group that assaulted us last gathering. They're on my list as well.

Thank you for your research and your words Kitauren.

Zen Mallowbrooks

I won't be able to make it there this weekend, but if you end up fighting Captain Cleavius, don't be surprised if he just keeps coming at you! It seemed like we'd take him down and then within a minute or so we'd see him walking back onto the battlefield. He also had some sort of protections on himself where only about half of us could actually affect him.

Liam

Kitaruen ni Thargathien,

With the kingdom of Erabella in open rebellion, the Pennoyer line in seeming exile, and the Guardian Evoder destroyed--at the least, missing--upon who or what do these Laws stand? Are we to view then as Natural Laws, mere extensions of common communal protections, or is a centralized group enforcing these dicta? Do you speak on behalf of the ruling authority?

Pardon my ignorance as an outsider, but I plan to visit these lands on business and would appreciate knowing to whom I should speak regarding safe passage and respectful fealty.

Master Dramthin Hartsboon
Keeper of the Tainted Grove

As far as I can tell the Coalition plans to maintain these laws. The necromancy and slavery laws specifically have been mentioned by their leadership as being important parts of their new government. It would probably be wise for them to codify them all anew but that will most likely need to wait till the Coalition is victorious.

If some of the laws are no longer in effect it would not shock me but I see no indication of that. With that said the Coalition does not have the resources to enforce much of anything at the moment. Hence my making sure everyone knows where my family stands.

Kit

Dramthin,

There is still a population of nobles and magistrates that maintain law in Erabella, even without a monarch in place. In short, respect and follow the laws. They are very reasonable.

~ Gandian

Magus Ravenscroft,

The landed gentry who remain loyal to the Queen would maintain rights to noble titles and could dispense justice in measurement to their fealty. Those gentry in open rebellion have, by definition, lost rights to any title and only hold as much weight as their reputation and strength of arms can maintain. Similarly, any magistrate ordained by the Queen who actively supports rebellion can no longer call themselves magistrates.

Now, as it appears the adventuring community has sided with the rebellion against the crown, I would say these laws are the de facto edicts of, at the very least, the contested territory. I've found adventurers have a way of ensuring their ideas are enforced as law. It also follows that any government standing against a unified adventuring community is not long for this world. However, until the rebellion is successful in their coup, I'm hard-pressed to see them as legitimate.

That being said, I will happily follow these guidelines as they appear to be customary in these lands. As you say, very reasonable.

Master Hartsboon,

The only mist entry point is through the inner capital, which is held by the Coalition. The Queen is dead, there are nobles on both sides of this conflict.

To everyone, While yes, the Adventurers are strong, to say we could win against either side up front is foolish. The people, soldiers, mages of Erabella are not weak. To underestimate these people will result in a rude awakening inside the circle.

For laws, I know they are still being enforced.

I do thank those who are traveling for the aid, it’s welcoming.

-Cass

Cass you are still too young my friend. I truly hope we can discuss this at some point. But when you have driven armies before you, killed creatures of insane power, committed war crimes, brought utter destruction and broken the laws of fortannis itself and then slept like a baby the next night you will understand where I am coming from.

Kit

Goodfolk Cass,

Unless the Prince's Council has sworn fealty en masse to the rebellion and named a King, law in contested territory extends from wrist to the point of a man's sword. There is no law except what can be maintained through force or loyalty to force. By that measure, which Dukes maintain law in the rebellion? The measure of their strength is the only assurance of order in rebel land.

And, even then, as go adventurers, goes the land. Neither benevolent leader nor tyrant can stand against adventuring whim. So, if you represent the will of the adventurers, I say well met: the law is here and speaks. Who or what do you serve?

Your words are getting close to "If there is no King, I am bound by no laws and may do as I wish," Dramthin, which is misguided at best and dangerous at worst.

The three heads of the Freedom Coalition maintain the law as presented. Let that suffice for you, and know that you will be adequately dealt with by more than just adventurers should you deem the Coalition's rule over the restructuring of Erabella, general desire for everyday peace, and common sense insufficient in keeping you from killing innocents, casting necromancy, enslaving others, etc.

~ Gandian

Last edited:
I agree with Gandian. Adventurers are only as good as our deeds and the laws we abide by. We may not have nobles to kneel to in our current lands, but we know not to attack without cause and that necromancy is always wrong. Without that general common sense, we're nothing more than monsters.

If you, or anyone, feel the need to be lead by a noble to ensure laws are laid out plainly, I'm sure someone can find one for you.

~Locke

Dramathin Hartsboon,

Regardless of the where the laws were written or by whose decree, they will be upheld by the Freedom coalition who holds sway over the capital city and by the adventurers who have been welcomed into this land by them. Beyond that, I'm not sure what your contention with these laws are but let me make this perfectly clear for you and any others: these are the laws handed down to us by the Freedom Coalition who now rules this land. They will be upheld and enforced by them and by the adventurers. If you're question is about a particular law then you may ask myself at the gathering and if I cannot answer it then I will get you an answer as quickly as possible.

The adventurers were welcomed into this land by the Freedom Coalition and are our only allies in restoring the stability of Erabella. The adventurers will make every effort to cooperate with them and if you come to help us then you will be an adventurer of Erabella for the time that you are here and with be expected to follow the same rules and laws as the rest of us. If this does not make sense to you then, by all means, find me at the gathering and I will happily explain again and again until I find a way for it to make sense.

Zen Mallowbrooks

I believe questions of law are necessary in a land where recent history includes regicide against an entire royal line and destruction of a scion of Fortannis. In a monarchy, I have faith the Queen protects her nobles as they offer fealty, just as the nobles protect the commoners in kind. What reason does the Coalition have to protect the commoners? Why would nobles and commoners alike trust a group that overthrew the government and murdered a Race Guardian? How can I feel safe when the "laws" are written in blood?

Now, I am a visitor to these lands and have already vowed to respect local authority. My time in Erabella will be brief and mostly academic in nature. I have no designs for or against local political factions. But, what am I to assume about this new government when simple questions regarding the law are met with threats? Especially when that government recently invited foreign adventurers to come and protect their interests? If I am expected to act on behalf of any group, I am due an explanation of their intentions, loyalties, and reputation.

But, again, I am here neither to usurp nor disrupt. I am merely inquiring after authority that I might act appropriately and within the bounds of local custom. So again, to whom should I speak when I arrive to ensure I show proper deference and am not "adequately dealt with"? Zen Mallowbrooks, do you speak for the Coalition?

The Coalition is not separate from the nobles and commoners - they are one and the same, and thus have every reason to protect themselves and/or each other. Those in aligned Erabella that have not formally aligned with the Coalition (excluding the Loyalists) are only so because they haven't determined with faction of the Coalition best aligns with their personal ideology, and even then, they work and live alongside the Coalition. Its three factions fill the nation, working in tandem as allies with each other rather than rivals.

Your simple questions are being met with hostility purely because the nature of the (paraphrased) question of "Why do I have to obey the law?" inherently includes a self-importance above the laws (which are very similar to the laws of your own lands, let alone most of Fortannis) and a disregard for those structures in place striving to bring peace and stability to the struggling nation of Erabella. In general, I would suggest a personal goal of following the presented laws of a land you visit until given appropriate reason otherwise, rather than being initially skeptical of laws until getting a complete map of all possible authority and their agendas. If the laws were outlandish, perhaps, but they aren't. Common sense for the greater good, Dramthin.

You seem insistent on asking if any of us speak formally for the Coalition, and we do not have the authority to claim we do. We are not their nobles, simply their allies. So, if you need an authority in order to believe in the law, it is the Freedom Coalition. Consider that the simple answer to your simple question, and you will need to speak directly to them if you have any issues or consider the laws invalid for some reason.

~ Gandian

Dramthin,

Currently, I speak only for myself but the adventuring community seems to have some respect for what I say. When you and other adventurers from other lands arrive, I plan to have a talk with all of you. You will not have to worry about stepping wrong or saying the wrong thing to a noble and finding yourself in prison, but I would advise against speaking in support of the late monarchs, as they are still a recent, tragic memory for many people in Erabella.

As for being "threatened" for asking questions, understand that you are not simply asking questions about the laws but accusing nobles of misrepresenting themselves and questioning laws that would be only the bare minimum of legislation in the most liberal lands. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that someone who breaks the laws set by the ruling body will suffer the consequences.

If you feel that you don't have sufficient reason to come here as an adventurer or that you do not understand what is expected of you, no one is making you come here. There are resources available to the adventurers that will help you understand the situation we face in Erabella, such as the notes I took at the last gathering and published on the dreaming. We will welcome your help if you choose to offer but you need to understand that the adventurers of Erabella are risking their lives to offer stability to this land and suggesting that we are wrong to do so simply because the throne is empty is insulting at best.

If I have not provided sufficient answers to your questions here then I feel that this forum of discussion may not be capable of providing them. Speak to me at the gathering and I will do my best to answer any questions you have.

Zen Mallowbrooks

Dear fellow servants of the renewal of the world,
How sorrowful is the place where the Law, known in the hearts of all men and women, is clouded! How richly, then, we shall be rewarded with a love of goodness when we act with Justice in this place that knows little. We all know what good is, friends, and we all know the evil which grows within all who eschew it. Listen now to my words!
Be quick to listen to those of this land, and be deliberate to speak with them. When you speak, keep in yourself a purity so you may teach all what good is. Those who live here have been muddled by war, war of man with man as we have never seen in lost Gaden. Love them and show them right conduct and truth.
Under blessing, live here in pilgrimage and exile, and act as the best of men. Keep to what you know of goodness.
Russ Goldcrest, once King of Birds, your friend.

I believe Gandian and zen have summarized quite nicely anything that I could possibly have said and then some more so I will not repeat there messages.

But I would like to share the fact that while the military of the coalition is weaker then before the war recruitment efforts this month have been strong within the capital and the surrounding cities and that there is a military presence behind and within the coalition which is a size that is useable I’m sure would be utilized if for some reason a serious threat against the current restricting of the new government is formed.

At the end of the day the coalition holds the capital and has shown that the laws are still in place just because the rulers before we’re overthrown does not mean we live in a lawless city.

- Sergeant Roff Allouttee Rallentine starshine ze Rycha voda

Back