laytex Shield

IANAM, but as far as I'm aware, the only limit to shield materials is that it not tear up weapons, and be padded enough that an accidental collision won't hurt anyone.

The construction at the rim of those examples might be the only point of contention. If needed you might have to put extra padding there. Be prepared for that eventuality.

Yes, shields with latex on them are generally ok (check with your local chapter for specifics if they have additional guidelines). If you can make a shield with plywood, you better believe that a foam or plastic one covered in rubber is ok.
However, No, those shields are not legal. They are not 'rimmed' by 5/8 inch closed cell foam, as is required by the 'Shield Construction' section of the book.
~Matt, WCV, IAAM

obcidian_bandit said:
Yes, shields with latex on them are generally ok (check with your local chapter for specifics if they have additional guidelines). If you can make a shield with plywood, you better believe that a foam or plastic one covered in rubber is ok.
However, No, those shields are not legal. They are not 'rimmed' by 5/8 inch closed cell foam, as is required by the 'Shield Construction' section of the book.
~Matt, WCV, IAAM

Drat after reading Mikes reply I went and orderd it
ah well guess I can put the 5/8 foam arround it wont look as nice though :(
my bad

FW

Frank Wiccan said:
obcidian_bandit said:
~Matt, WCV, IAAM

Drat after reading Mikes reply I went and orderd it
ah well guess I can put the 5/8 foam arround it wont look as nice though :(
my bad

FW

I did say you'd probably have to add padding to the rim.

yeh you said I might and be prepared
jsut hopefull thinking on my part I guess :)

FW

It depends... if the entire thing is made only of foam with no hard core, then the 5/8" around the edges wouldn't be needed. If you recall Mike, when former baron Tristan and Pineaus came back to game last season their shields were made entirely of layered camp foam, and as such didn't require edging. Having to put more foam on foam would be silly.

I guess we'll have to see it when it arrives.

Frank,

We have allowed similar shields at HQ, but it's going to be on a case by case basis. Worst case is you'd be asked to put foam around the edges. Best case is you can use it as is.

Chapters are given some leeway in the use of "alternative" materials and have some discretion on what is safe. This also means that what may pass in one chapter may not pass in another. Odds are that one will pass in HQ. You could make a rim cover out of 5/8" foam that slides over the shield and close up with a few pieces of duct tape if other chapters find it unacceptable as is. Being as it is round, It should stay on well without actually taping the rim cover to the shield itself.

Scott

the mot inportan thing is its safe
hopefully it will get to me fast and I can bring it to the work weekend and ask
but Ill try and bring some 5/8's and duct tape if need be

FW

See, this is one of those 'things.' By the book, it's not legal without the foam rims. I don't think that that makes it unsafe if it doesn't have them. Hell, nerf darts are safer then half the stuff we use, but they're not legal, either. I always assumed that the safety standards were pretty rigid as far as that stuff went though.

How in the world do they make these latex shields. I am looking at them now... They got a curve to them... they got a shine to them... awesome paint job. Are they light?

I think they look really awesome and would add to the realism of the game (provided they are built safely). But I like to make my stuff and so now I want to know how to make it. Or if you wanted to buy one but put your own design on it. How do you paint it?

Anyone know?

If they're like the ones I've seen previously, they're just dense foam with latex spray painted on over it to get the colored skin.

obcidian_bandit said:
See, this is one of those 'things.' By the book, it's not legal without the foam rims. I don't think that that makes it unsafe if it doesn't have them. Hell, nerf darts are safer then half the stuff we use, but they're not legal, either. I always assumed that the safety standards were pretty rigid as far as that stuff went though.

Chapters have some leeway as to what they can allow in with regards to weapons and shields. Chapters can disallow kitespar and other ultralight weapons if they want to as well. We've also allowed composite two handed weapons, with the bottom half aluminum and the top pvc. And now I believe people make composite 2 handed weapons with PVC and kitespar.

The wording should probably be changed to "5/8" pipe foam or equivalent". 1" of camp foam is safer than 5/8" pipe foam. That wording has also stood for at least a decade, when all shields were made of wood or metal. Light shields are intrinsically safer. When technology outpaces rulebook updates (or the updates are just not thought about) things like this sometimes happen crop up.

On the other hand, I have additional padding on my aluminum shield.

Scott

I would be made very happy by this, because I prefer a flat edge on my shields. :)

I just got plywood to make a few shields from
if my laytex shield comes and it passes in all the chapters I can donate the ones im making now (hint hint bribe bribe)
funny thing is the plywood was $10 the tubing was $7 and the insolation 5/8 or better will be about $6
add straps $5 and ducttape say $2 worth bolts $2 and $5 for Paint and were talking a shield costs $37 they sell the laytex ones for $40 to $60 so they are almsot the same price!

Price and Look and less effort = win :)

FW

I'd be really interested to see this shield when it comes in Frank. If it's safe enough I just might get one myself. I suck at making sheilds.

Im susposed to be getting it the 26th so I wont have it for work weekend but I will bring it for the event at HQ!
Im half way done with my normal shield now and hopefully I wont need it and can use the latex one :D

FW

Back