Learning New Skills

Hi guys,

I know this has been discussed somewhat, but I just wanted to get some clarification...

What all do you need to get a Teacher card to learn?

I know you don't need a teacher for Racial Skills.
I know you need one for individual new skills.
Are different spell levels considered a new skill? i.e. do you need a Teacher for level 4 spells if you only know up to level 3 spells? or are spells or all levels considered 1 skill?
Similar question for Melee skills...once you have a crit attack, do you need a teacher for subsequent crit attacks after you learn a prof? or learn crit attack once and good forever?
Related to that...do you need a teacher for each Prof? or prof +1,+2 etc are all the same as well.

Some of these I think I know the answer to, but have had some discussions with people that view it completely opposite of my thought, so I thought I would just put this out there for clarification.

Thanks in advance!

Teacher is needed for every skill except for racial skills and the craftsman skill.

Different spell levels are considered new skills. You would for instance need a teacher card for 1st level earth to buy your first spell, but would not need another teacher for 1st level earth to buy the second spell, but then you would need one for 2nd level earth to continue buying spells and then for 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc.

You do not need to wait until you can buy the spells to get the teacher cards, so you could, for instance get teacher cards for 1st-9th at one event and then just spend the build on the spells as you get it, but you only need to get the teacher card once for each level in each school.

Same kind of process applies to melee skills. You learn critical attack once and then buy it as needed, same with proficiency and all the fighting skills. You learn it once and can then buy the skills as needed.

Actually, one issue with the reply. Per Jesse, we can only have two "pending" skills. Thus you couldn't pre-learn levels 1-9, but you could learn the next two levels from where you are now. If that's not the case, I need to hit up my teachers again. :)

Jim / Lagarde

That limitation is on a chapter by chapter basis and is not an Alliance-wide policy.

Thanks Everyone!

Old thread but related question. I spent a teacher card learning weakness for my first 3rd level spell. Will I need a teacher card if I want to learn Harm undead when my tree goes form 3,2,1 to 4,3,2 and I want to have weakness and harm undead memorized ? I guess basically is the teacher card a blanket 'you unlock the entire tier of spells' or do you need to be taught each spell I.E. a teacher card for harm undead, shatter, and bind if I want to be able to memorize any of those spells in my allotted slots for an event?

You don't need the teacher card for a specific spell - you need the teacher card for your first 3rd level (or "3rd circle" in IG terms) spell slot. You don't need a teacher card for your second 3rd level spell slot, your third 3rd level spell slot, etc; but you would then need a teacher card for your first 4th level spell slot. Getting the spell slot does not get you any of the specific spells of that level.

For specific spells, you need to copy them into your spellbook using special inks... basically you need to go to the appropriate Guild and pay the in-game fee to get the spell copied into your spell book. Alternatively, you can borrow a friend's spellbook ahead of time to memorize off their spellbook (but you can't copy it into your spellbook without the appropriate inks). If you do that, you need to notify Logistics (Mac) ahead of time that you're doing so, and your friend needs to tell Logistics they're allowing you to memorize out of their spellbook.

When you copy spells into your spellbook, you will hand over your old spellbook tag. The person providing the inks (generally a guildmaster, asst. guildmaster, or sr. guildsman NPC) will provide you with a new spellbook tag with all of the spells from your old spellbook in it as well as any new spells you copied from the guild book/someone else's book. The new spellbook tag will be signed by the (generally NPC or PNPC) guild member who filled out the tag for you.

Back