LED Wired weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheakhan

Adept
So, I make my own weapons, super swank.

What I'm wondering is, if I create a weapon with EL wire embedded in it, will it pass safety?

Ex:

I make a super awesome two handed axe with runes carved into the head and/or haft.
I glue EL wire deep inside those carvings in such a way as to ensure it will never come into contact with a player, we're talking a small slit large enough to let light out and with at least 1/4" of foam before you get to the wire. The carvings would not be on a striking surface.

Assuming the weapon is otherwise up to safety specs, and the battery/power supply is integrated in such a way as to not make the weapon unsafe, would this fly?

EL wire: http://www.save-on-crafts.com/neon.html

Here's an LED example, same basic concept: http://www.foamsmithing.com/latexel-wicked-axe-by-pieter/

Another example: https://plus.google.com/106383955631579101215/posts/7PtLYE1WGaq

It would have to be evaluated on a case by case basis, you're going into the brush here, exploring areas that aren't usually done. If it's done safely, that would be amazing, but I have significant concerns about safety. You appear to be addressing them... so... maybe?

Upvote 0
Looking into it, basically what I'm considering is gluing a small plastic tube along the core and under the carvings, and feeding the lights in at the handle. It'll effectively be like using a larger core, and allow for easy replacements/color changes.
I may not need to cut runes at all, and simply leave runes unpainted to let the light diffuse through the foam.

Upvote 0
The rules for individual weapons are always:

1.) Check to see if your idea is directly and specifically contradicted by the rulebook.
2.) Talk to your weapons marshal so you don't end up wasting time and money.
3.) Bring it to game to be directly inspected by that chapter's weapons marshal (and every chapter you use the weapon at).
4a.) Enjoy your new weapon, or;
4b.) Go make the changes requested by your marshal, or;
4c.) Cry a lot.

There are relatively few hard and fast rules that can be answered by the forum in regard to self-crafted weapons. Personally, I say go for it, and if you can't use it as an actual mechanical weapon, use it as a prop.

Upvote 0
You said axe, so something that occurred to me.

Would there be a possibility that the wiring in question could cause your foam to break down faster over time? Because that's something I'd be worried about as a Marshal.

Outside of that, your concept sounds cool and nothing that I feel is inherently bad.

Upvote 0
Naw, it shouldn't affect the foam durability appreciably.
If it does, that will obviously be noticeable and rectified, but I don't anticipate any issues.

Upvote 0
If you can figure it out, I'd be super interested in buying one from you!

Upvote 0
Let me do some testing, and then we can talk, though if you want to -be- the test, I'd gladly build you something if you supply the materials and a design.

Upvote 0
If we weren't on other sides of the country, I'd totally offer to be the test. :p

Shoot me a message in the future if your tests prove successful!

Upvote 0
Will do!

Upvote 0
El wire weapons have been approved in the past on a case by case basis in (at least, based on personal knowledge) NH, NJ, CT, and HQ.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back