Left handed Presidents

Interesting bit of trivia I just read.

Four out of the five last Presidents were all left handed:

Gerald Ford
Ronald Reagan
George Bush
Bill Clinton

In fact, in the 92 election, all three candidates were left handed (Bush, Clinton and Perot)

Just as a side note...

Obama is left handed! ;)

Interesting.......

I used to write left handed. But the nun at the preschool I attended fixed that REAL quick. Ouch. :(

Marcena said:
Interesting.......

I used to write left handed. But the nun at the preschool I attended fixed that REAL quick. Ouch. :(

They're still doing that? That's terrible.

My sister is left handed. I remember that some of her teachers tried to change her, but my parents made it clear that it would not be accepted, and they ecnouraged her to do whatever was comfortable.

Three out of five people in my immediate family are left-handed. My wife and my 6-year-old twins are lefties while only me and my oldest son are righties. What are the odds of that happening? Anybody know "handedness odds?"

--- Eric Stehle / Ivan Drale

Well the chances a lefty are one in nine. So I suppose multiply one in nine for however many people are left handed and you'll get your odds.

And yes sir, they are still doing that. At least since I was in preschool. So about thirteen years ago. She cracked a couple of my knuckles apparently and they never healed quite right. But there was a nicer nun that tried teaching me how to write with my right hand before I was placed in the care of "the Exorcist". A big black woman with a nice smile that always said, "Jesse baby, you's writin' wrong handed!"

I've read any number of studies that say anywhere from 1 to 15% of people are left-handed. Many people are only partially left-dominant, while others do absolutely everything left-handed, and I've heard arguments that unless you do absolutely everything lefty, you're not a "real" lefty. So I don't think there are really definitive numbers one way or another.

I'm the only one in my family that I know of who is left handed. And yet once I was in a RPG group where 4 out of 5 of us were lefties.

If you've ever seen my hand-writing, you'll agree that I'm probably left handed and don't even know it.

Darkwing said:
I've read any number of studies that say anywhere from 1 to 15% of people are left-handed. Many people are only partially left-dominant, while others do absolutely everything left-handed, and I've heard arguments that unless you do absolutely everything lefty, you're not a "real" lefty. So I don't think there are really definitive numbers one way or another.

I'm the only one in my family that I know of who is left handed. And yet once I was in a RPG group where 4 out of 5 of us were lefties.

I guess im not a real lefty. Aside from writing and shooting pool, all my other sports are done right handed including fighting in the alliance.

Gilwing said:
I guess im not a real lefty. Aside from writing and shooting pool, all my other sports are done right handed including fighting in the alliance.

That's where the ambiguity lies. I do practically everything left-handed except bat. One handed, I'd hold a bat (or tennis racket) in my left hand, but two handed I put my left hand on the bottom, because that's where the power comes from, and it feels like my right hand is just along for the ride.

It could be that because left handed people are the minority, they end up just assimilating into doing some things righty. Or maybe it's really that you can't pigeonhole people into pure lefty or righty, because those things don't really exist.

I learn from watching. My brother monther and father are all righty. My firends were righty as well. I watched them bat, bowl, throw....I guess I am the product of my surroundings

My fellow Americans,

Ever notice how all the Republican presidents have good looking daughters and the Democrats have scary looking daughters?

Bush Sisters = good looking
Chelsea = Ack
Reagan's Daughter = Posed for Playboy.
Amy Carter = Ack, Ack, Ack

Let's keep America Beautiful.

This very shallow post brought to you by early morning insanity.

My fellow Americans,

Ever notice how Republican Presidents and Presidental candidates have trophy wives, some of which have had too much plastic surgery (some of which are 2nd or 3rd wives), while Democratic Presidential candidates have intelligent 1st wives who are independent and well educated?

McCain: 2nd wife, 31 years younger than him, previously convicted for stealing prescription drugs
Guiliani: 3rd wife
Reagan: 2nd wife

Obama: lawyer wife who graduated from Harvard
Edwards: lawyer wife
Clinton: lawyer husband who used to be President

Uh, oh, forgot about Kuchinich and his much younger and absolutely gorgeous wife! Well, there goes that theory.

This is also meant to be shallow, silly and fun and not an attempt to bring politics into a post that was previously apolitical.

I'm a lefty, but my handwriting was better in second grade than it is now. Why? The nazi lunatic of a 3rd grade teacher who not only tried to switch me to a righty, but tried to tell my parents (after my mother went a little berserk on her) they were essentially abusing me by not making me "conform".

'Course, that was more than 25 years ago... but still...

And yeah, by all reports it's still being done in a lot of small Catholic schools (mine was at a public school mind you), though not so much by the lay-teachers. A friend a little older then Jesse was switched in grade school and that nun still teaches there, so presumably she's still doing it.

All those who tried to convert me to being right handed are dead...by my hand. Any guesses as to which one? :twisted:

Darkwing said:
All those who tried to convert me to being right handed are dead...by my hand. Any guesses as to which one? :twisted:

And that's why we love you :D

IvanDrake said:
Three out of five people in my immediate family are left-handed. My wife and my 6-year-old twins are lefties while only me and my oldest son are righties. What are the odds of that happening? Anybody know "handedness odds?"

--- Eric Stehle / Ivan Drale

I have a 100% chance of being left handed. :D

Fearless Leader said:
Uh, oh, forgot about Kuchinich and his much younger and absolutely gorgeous wife! Well, there goes that theory.

nay, nay, ¡nay! ole Denny's hot, red-headed wife may be half his age and have a stud in her tongue, but she has: earned a bachelor and a Master's degree, volunteered all over the world, lead myriad professional organizations, had her tongue pierced. (¿did i mention she's a red-head with a pierced tongue? i feel this is important). how that troll convinced her to marry him is beyond me, something about "love bla-bla-bla; building a union on passion of purpose bla-bla-bla". for a 30 year old, i think that's pretty impressive, i mean, ¡she's got a stud in her tongue, man!

Fearless Leader said:
My fellow Americans,

Ever notice how Republican Presidents and Presidental candidates have trophy wives, some of which have had too much plastic surgery (some of which are 2nd or 3rd wives), while Democratic Presidential candidates have intelligent 1st wives who are independent and well educated?

McCain: 2nd wife, 31 years younger than him, previously convicted for stealing prescription drugs
Guiliani: 3rd wife
Reagan: 2nd wife

Obama: lawyer wife who graduated from Harvard
Edwards: lawyer wife
Clinton: lawyer husband who used to be President

This is also meant to be shallow, silly and fun and not an attempt to bring politics into a post that was previously apolitical.

You didn't seriously bring up Clinton as an example of a good marriage...

And I hope you're not saying that people with second wives are bad people. I'd hate to have to beat you up.

Wow... Kuchinich is one lucky or incredibly crafty old man.

Nothing at all wrong with second or even fifth wives... but the circumstances of a couple of those marriages might be considered questionable by those worthy's very target constituants...

Duke Frost said:
You didn't seriously bring up Clinton as an example of a good marriage...

And I hope you're not saying that people with second wives are bad people. I'd hate to have to beat you up.

:D Good point about the Clintons.

I just bring up the second marriage thing when it comes to Republicans because they always claim to be in favor of "strong families" and claim that Democrats are not "pro-family" but you have Guiliani who cheated on his 2nd wife before divorcing her, McCain who did the same with his 1st wife, Gingrich who told his 1st wife he was divorcing her while she was in the hospital with cancer, and so on. It's hypocricy I hate, really, not the fact that marriages do fall apart. (My brother is on his 2nd wife, too, but she's actually older than he is.)

Back