Let's talk garb

Yames

I've been thinking about upgrading my kit for some time now and have been admiring a lot of peoples gear at game. So I figured I might as well just ask. What are some people's recommendations for getting good custom garb locally? I've got some cool ideas but I suck at sewing and want to support our local craftsman.

All of Durnic's clothing other than his pants and headband were made by Zaz, who plays Hava. I know that Ron and Mike will recommend ChickenVicious as well, who is a local LARPer but she doesn't play Alliance.

Last edited:
I second Chicken Vicious. I have known Aya for 10 years. She makes some amazing garb. Zaz also makes some amazing things too.

The only thing about Chicken Vicious is that I hear Aya's super backed up, so if you want it faster, you might consider another vendor. If that's not a big deal, definitely get in contact with her ASAP.

Chicken Vicious has quite a bit of premade items. For custom garb, yes she probably is backed up :p

Dedicated secondhand store stalking. Might be harder if you're a dude.

Kelsey Lovelle made all Jacob and My **** if you were at oregon, I don't remember, I can put you in touch. She is rad and not currently too busy

Apparently these forums bleep you.

I gotta pimp out our boy Will Carson of Attention Span Games and Garb -- all of Little's new garb is exclusively to the tune of one of his new designers.

Though I'm curious here to echo what's being asked about, specifically for footwear. I know Carmen suggested a couple of places -- but what's some great ways to do reliable in genre footwear that doesn't feel awful to run around in?

I think Carmen has boots from Sons of Sandlar. I see them talked about in the Larpette's Facebook page a lot - they look great and are apparently really comfortable.

Not quite as in-genre, but less expensive (and comfortable once broken in - I used a quick breakin method) are the Corcoran Jump Boots. I use these, and I like them a lot.

I managed to get a pair of Sons of Sandlar pleather boots gifted to me at GenCon. They're amazing, and good looking, but you seriously need to powder the inside as they don't breathe. Great for running around though.

torrie who plays sage, and chantel our cook are both amazing garb sewers. They made my new wizard coat.

Honestly, I just run with some modern Bates combat boots and put my greaves over 'em. While I'd love to get some in-genre boots, the cost is ridiculous if you want safe, comfortable AND good-looking boots.

Im with Rick. I wear my 8 year old Marine Corps Bates combat boots and my feet are toasty warm and super comfortable.

Wool socks + Suede moccassins = Nevermind, so much pain...
Theres a dilemma for me with foot wear. I want durable, comfortable boots but I also don't like not having soft-soles, which means that by the end of a weekend my feet feel like tiny deliberate little gnomes have been diligently pounding on them with miniature sledgehammers.

I wore Merrel Tough glove shoes for quite a while. They gave me a bit of the barefoot ultralight feel without the ouch.

Those look awesome, but totally not period and I'd have to spend more money to conceal their anachronism.

There are some good leather shoe patterns that use a soft sole (think viking or moccasin style). Spend the money on leather ones and they are very comfortable.

I use cowboy riding boots. My first pair lasted over 10 years. Just get good insoles for them and wear riding socks to avoid chafting. They cost around 120 or so bucks. But totally worth it and how long they last make it worth the cost.

Im with Rick. I wear my 8 year old Marine Corps Bates combat boots and my feet are toasty warm and super comfortable.
My last set of Bates lasted me 12 years. I will be a Bates customer for a lot of years.

Back