Letters

Status
Not open for further replies.

wisp

In her cabin, the day still early, Derya sat with paper and quill and ink. There were letters to be written, business to be attended to. Where to start?

With a small, mirthless smile, she knew exactly how to begin.

To Captain Conchita and her First Mate Itzal of the Silver Fin:

Mother, Father;

I know that my letters come few and far between and for this I'm sorry, I truly am. It took me some years to realize it, but life is difficult out here, harder and lonelier and far less filled with laughter. I have seen things I never even considered in my youth. And now I am involved in things far too large for me to fully grasp. But I miss home. I miss the rocking of the ship beneath my feet, this ground is too solid. I miss going barefoot, feeling sun and wind and salty waves. I miss climbing to the crowsnest and being alone with the sky and the sea. I even miss scrubbing the bloody decks.

I am well enough, however. I am in a settlement called Parson's Breach. It is a hodge podge of peoples, including Rockholm and Dark Elves. The former a potential source of amusement, the latter a source of...ire.

I have met a man. He's a round-ear but I figured if any were to care about that, it wouldn't be the two of you. I know I shall long outlive him, but at the moment that's hardly a concern as I'm not sure he even likes me so much as tolerates me. So it goes.

And for the true reason of my letter. There have been strange happenings. We are recovering a sword for the king. Perhaps you have heard of it? I feel about this mission and this king's goals the same as I felt about that noble shark hunter we met and transported. I spoke freely to you of my opinions then so you know them now, only on a grander, more regal scale.

I miss you both. I miss the ship. I miss the crew. I miss the sure sense of belonging and reliability that I grew with.

Tides be with you all.

Your loving daughter,

Derya

Pursing her lips, the Elf reread the letter before folding it up and sealing it, using a coin on her scarf to imprint the wax. A grin passed over her lips as she looked at how official it all seemed. Now..on to the next letters.

Standing, stretching, Derya paced a lap around the small cabin before sitting to go back to writing. The next letter would be business. She would need to find a local to pass this along, hoping that the crew of the little river boat that had stopped by a month past would eventually get it.

Lucy, and the rest of the lovely crew;

I do hope that this letter reaches you in reasonable time. I, unfortunately, don't know your exact route or how long it takes to loop it, but I'm fairly certain this ought reach yoou eventually. I hope the water treats you well and the wind blows in your favour.

I should like to revisit our discussion of business. Clearly the threats of you coming directly to me is too much for me to ask you to go through, however, I am willing to meet you in a safer location should it be within reasonable distance. I will happily take any goods you can bring to me as I've a number of buyers I'm confident I can pass it along to. In particular interest are...more difficult to obtain elixirs and potions, drink of various intoxicating sorts, herbs and plants of similarly intoxicating properties, any peculiar items of interest including reagents and catalysts, and any normally high-tariff items of practical use. I should like to nail down an agreement for a continued relationship with proper compensation for all.

I hope this finds you well and look forward to hearing from you.

Derya.

The Elf pursed her lips as she folded the letter and sealed it with wax, this time not bothering with an imprint. There was one more letter to write before she needed to move on to the more..hands-on aspects of her little scheme.

Stretching her arm out, Derya considered how she might wish to word this letter. This was the toughest one yet. She pursed her lips, scowling at the page. Finally the scritching of her quill could be heard.

Crow,
This isn't a portent or a sign or anything, so don't bloody well read into it. I just don't want any bad blood between us. I respect you too much as a colleague and as a friend. Here are the five coppers I stole from you. It won't happen again. Burn this letter when you've read it.

Derya

Again she sealed the letter, coins carefully tucked inside, but this one she tucked into her shirt, a trick Clover had taught her. She'd hand this one to the man herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back