Level vs. Build vs. Xp

A.mungo

Scout
Marshal
Atlanta Staff
Can we do away with levels??? I think only Sylvanborn and hardy are using it? It can be simplified to 1 craftsman or hardy/10 build up to 5 craftsman or something like that. Either way, do we really need this concept still?

Starting at 25/lvl 2 and having that weird, and honestly needless, system helps to create an additional barrier when explaining the system to new players. Someone help

Do you mean build/10 rounded down to the nearest 5, still seems archaic to rely on an additional concept (also can we just drop the 5?)

I recognize also that this would be an additional ask from the tech team late in the game, and I'm not married to it. It just got brought up as a new player explanation issue.

Do you mean build/10 rounded down to the nearest 5, still seems archaic to rely on an additional concept (also can we just drop the 5?)

I'm not really defending levels. I think most people kind of explain their total xp when describing their characters power. I was just pointing out something else you forgot.

That being said, right now, at level 10, you earn 2xp per level. I think that's a bit easier to describe than the current xp range you're in. Does that matter even really though?

I recognize also that this would be an additional ask from the tech team late in the game, and I'm not married to it. It just got brought up as a new player explanation issue.

It really wouldn't be.

I guess maybe I just dont like the hanging 5. Probably the root of the issue, or the fact that we don't really use the concept widely except in specific cases where we use it for convenience, but it stands out as an exception.

Everytime I explain it to someone, and they ask why, I describe why, but always follow up with, IDK it's an extra needless complication.

Hence the post

I have never had a new player confused about levels. They’ve asked, and all I’ve said is “Level isn’t really important, it’s just part of the experience to build formula.”

It’s never really been something that I’ve ever seen anyone get stuck on.

I mean, I think its weird I started at level 2. I mean, starting at level 0 - that I'd understand. But who starts counting from 2?

My impression is level is used sometimes for scaling mods. At its way easier for people to quickly calculate "APL 7 group" than average build of 78.

Hello, new player here. And here's my two cents; It seems very pen and paper. Which isn't necessarily bad. Evan(Our awesome local player rep!) explained, just as he'd said, "It's not that important". I haven't found it limiting or confusing. Starting my build with XP to spend, I did not find myself looking at the level just the XP. While I can see the view; it seems cumbersome from an OOG standpoint. But, from what I have seen it has little effect on the game play or even the management. And now even more-so with the CMA.

From what I understand the only meaningful use IG is when accessing a Plot run mod. And that is OOG enough to just know your number for their logistics of scaling. (As Feldor had said.)

Now I have played LARPs before and I have done tabletop RPG for years. So, I may have some rose colored glasses for the process. (Since I still laugh at THACO) But all and all, It was fine from my experience and entrance into the game.

I mean, I think its weird I started at level 2. I mean, starting at level 0 - that I'd understand. But who starts counting from 2?

My impression is level is used sometimes for scaling mods. At its way easier for people to quickly calculate "APL 7 group" than average build of 78.

I have to agree here. Starting from two is weird to me. I see why it's stayed, due to the history of Alliance and the way levels have worked in the past (saying I'm level 7 is easy when I have 77 build, but harder for people to calculate quickly when they have 102, which is how it would be if we started at level 0).

Also, calculating APL is easier than calculating APX.

I've always simply thought of it as adventurers (who in-game tend to be more talented, hardy and useful by their very nature) start at level 2 while completely useless (in-game) commoner NPCs start at level 0.

Level 0 is the average bear, and PCs start as being smarter than the average bear.

I've always simply thought of it as adventurers (who in-game tend to be more talented, hardy and useful by their very nature) start at level 2 while completely useless (in-game) commoner NPCs start at level 0.

Level 0 is the average bear, and PCs start as being smarter than the average bear.
This is the way you can flavor it, yes, and it's what I do myself. Commoners are level zero, maybe a town guard NPC is level one. An adventurer is level two.

However, the real reason is because at Symposium we were talking about how it would be nice to have every new player start at 25 XP, give them a lot more to play with over level 1's 15 XP. Since we didn't want to completely rewrite the way that the leveling is calculated to keep up with 25 XP now being level one, we just said "meh, people now start at level 2". It's the simplest solution, even if it isn't the more elegant or one that makes a ton of sense.

Back