Libraries and Research + NPC Stints

llywelyn

Artisan
This is another idea that we have borrowed from other chapters.

One very common activity to engage in with IBGAs is to do research in some library or another. To facilitate this, over the break we expanded the plot notes for different libraries in Acarthia (and beyond). They now have ratings in terms of size and quality in a variety of different subjects as well as notes on what it takes to access it (maybe you have to be friends with someone, or maybe you have to have a paid membership, or a member of the Healers Guild, or whatever). Some libraries might even be really good in some specific areas, but contain nothing but misinformation in others.

What this means for players is: When you access a library in an IBGA or during an event, where you go might change the answer you get, and it might pay to cultivate connections to certain library systems if research is your thing (allowing you to access more esoteric libraries or to access them less expensively). This system should increase the consistency of our (plot's) responses in these regards.

Another addition, based on a combination of what some other chapters do plus player feedback on NPC incentives, is that if you have a question you want to research during the event there are a few small libraries in New Acarthia that might be useful to you. If you come and NPC for a stint (generally around 2 hours) and we (plot) have an answer for you and it could be reasonably found in those libraries, your character can be "researching" for the period of your stint and walk away with an answer. Answers are not guaranteed (you might not find anything… or you might find something else interesting that isn't quite what you were looking for). You can also ask to see how likely it is there will be an answer before you "start your research."

This research will be in lieu of GS for the time in a stint.

As with everything else, we are actively soliciting feedback from players and it may take us a little while to work the kinks out of the systems. We appreciate your patience as we work to create a more interesting and believable world with a wide array of choices!

Ok so to clarify- if your character wants to go to a library to do research DURING a game weekend, doing an NPC stint represents that time they spend in the library (As in, the PC isnt out and about, because they are in and studying), and the reward for NPCing is potentially useful info towards the thing they wanted to research?

Exactly. Info not guaranteed, but you'll probably get something.

Can we get an expanded list of "NPC stints" for those that are willing to help at camp/break in general who dont want to be a crunchy.

Can we get an expanded list of "NPC stints" for those that are willing to help at camp/break in general who dont want to be a crunchy.

NPC Stint does not and never has meant "crunchy"—it means that you volunteer as an NPC for a set period of time as a PC. If there are preferences in what you do, let us know and we will attempt to accommodate them.

NPC Stint does not and never has meant "crunchy"—it means that you volunteer as an NPC for a set period of time as a PC. If there are preferences in what you do, let us know and we will attempt to accommodate them.
This statement confuses me greatly... If one is volunteering to be an NPC for a stint, it DOES NOT mean you doff your character costume and assist with whatever plot had running at the time?? You stay in character for that time but become under plot control? Or am I completely misunderstanding the statement?

This statement confuses me greatly... If one is volunteering to be an NPC for a stint, it DOES NOT mean you doff your character costume and assist with whatever plot had running at the time?? You stay in character for that time but become under plot control? Or am I completely misunderstanding the statement?

It means that you take off your costume to the best of your ability given circumstances and do what we need you to do for a period of time. That's the definition of a PC on an NPC stint as opposed to a full-time NPC. The tasks are varied. It might be cleaning up NPC camp, it might be going out on mods, it might be helping in the tavern, it might be taking part in a wave battle, it might be a fishbowl or four or some other RP encounter. It does not identically equal crunchies, which are one of many things we have NPCs do.

I love this. It really puts the initiative on the players, and I love that you took time to compile information for the libraries.

Is there ( or could there be) a way to improve or supplement the topic rating of the libraries in New Acarthia? Or a way to establish a new library in New Acarthia? For example, if the healers guild has no library, or has a particularly misleading collection of books on herbology, could players OVER TIME collect (or purchase) books, manuscripts and the like (where each book could be 1% of the way towards the next better rating in that topic) I think the master libraries in the world at large should stay immotile in that respect, but it could be fun to have the ability to correct or improve on our libraries.. Some day the new Acarthia celestial guilds library could be one of the foremost resources on things that burn etc etc.

I'm already thinking when I might be able to slip away for a quick research trip here soon.

Is there ( or could there be) a way to improve or supplement the topic rating of the libraries in New Acarthia? Or a way to establish a new library in New Acarthia? For example, if the healers guild has no library, or has a particularly misleading collection of books on herbology, could players OVER TIME collect (or purchase) books, manuscripts and the like (where each book could be 1% of the way towards the next better rating in that topic) I think the master libraries in the world at large should stay immotile in that respect, but it could be fun to have the ability to correct or improve on our libraries.. Some day the new Acarthia celestial guilds library could be one of the foremost resources on things that burn etc etc.

Absolutely ^_^

What I really like this, is it actually opens up an entirely new type of game-play: the consummate book worm.

It is now totally viable for people to play lore-scolastic based PCs and have value to the game, and not have to make up excuses to buy tons of combat skill. Someone who dosnt want to do much combat as a pc, can literally spend a lot of the weekend doing NPC duty while their PC accomplishes their primary function. Thats really good.

Another great policy, I'm really happy that this is in place and hope it incentivizes people to take more NPC shifts.

[Snip] Some day the new Acarthia celestial guilds library could be one of the foremost resources on things that burn etc etc.

Why Chris, I have no idea why that might come to pass. Whatever gave you that idea? /southernbelle

~I

This is a good idea and I will definitely be trying to take advantage of it, especially if I'm able to join the new Loremasters Guild. One thing that I am interested in seeing in the future is more options for activities that you could do this way, not just researching. Maybe you could "scout" by being an NPC and get a chance to get some clue about what is happening in the woods, or an alchemist could "do an experiment" with some alternate loot thing they found on a monster, and maybe get more information about it.

If I am considering doing this, how much lead time do you prefer on the topic? Submit my research topic pre-game so the (potential) info is ready once I finish a shift (and if so, how far in advance); submit the topic at the start of NPC shift and the info will be ready at the end of shift; or submit when NPCing and get the info some time before next game? Or some other manner I'm overlooking? Interested in understanding how the data flow (ideally) works for this for planning purposes. There are a few topics I want to find info on but don't want Plot to think I've lost interest in a main thread I'm chasing with my IBGAs by bouncing all over the place (especially if it's just Lore and not directly related to active Plot).

Submitting topic pre game as far in advance as possible is an excellent idea, it'll probably get you more quality information at the game. Emailing a request afterwards and saying it was for your NPC shift is also great. But sometimes it might be that you're trying to look up info about stuff going on that weekend in which case just ask at the end of your shift.

Back