Libraries

Jim

Scholar
Libraries can be obtained through cost and questing. You must build a structure to house your library to keep the books safe from theft and decay.

The base cost is 30 gold and an additional 10 gold is required each time a library is upgraded.

You can buy a number of Libraries located in all of the towns in which the game may possibly take place. This is indeed a limitation of Libraries, but on the other hand, unlike all your other treasure, your Libraries cannot be stolen.

A Library can be sold to another character. The selling of a Library must be done at Logistics with both the seller and the buyer present to confirm the sale. A new tag with the new owner’s name on it will then be issued while the old tag will be destroyed.

Once you have a structure you must acquire books to fill the shelves. Books are a huge commodity and as such reliable books are not simply available to purchase en masse. Because of this a character must seek out an NPC to send them on a quest in exchange for sharing books. The first quest will be difficult (but geared towards the level of the character) as it nets the base library. The additional quests for upgrades will be easier and quicker to resolve.

A library grants you the ability to do research during downtime. You can only utilize one library per downtime. A base library has a 30% chance of having the information you attempting to research. Each upgrade adds an additional 5% chance up to 75%. You can choose to specialize your library. By doing so the specialized topic has an additional 10% chance to availability, however when doing research in other areas you receive a drop in percentage of 15%. So if you own an arcane library with two upgrades and with a specialization in Earth magic. Each library can only have one specialization. If you do research on Earth based High magic you would have a 50/50 chance of finding the information you are looking for (30 for the base library, 10 for the two upgrades and 10 for the specialization – 30 +10 +10 = 50). However, if you are researching the origins of Celestial magic, you would only have 25% chance of finding that information (30 + 10 -15= 25).

There are three types of libraries; arcane, historical, and natural. Arcane libraries cover all things magical, with the exception of Magical Creatures from the mortal plane. Historical covers recorded history and politics of all countries, tribes, etc. and races, including monster races with civilizations such as gnolls and trolls. Natural libraries cover the natural world and its creatures.

Arcane Library
Specializations
Earth
Celestial
Necromancy
Formal Magic
Planar Knowledge

Historical Library
Specializations
Specific Countries (i.e. the Wilds, the Tian Empire, etc.)
Specific Races (Karlic, Trolls, Danavi, Noibla, etc.)
Wars
Ancient History

Natural Library
Specializations
Magical Creatures
Mundane Creatures
Cartography
Geography of Specific Countries (i.e. the Wilds, the Tian Empire, etc.)
 

jtsquish

Newbie
Just to make sure I understand this correctly and have my math right. When you have a house (or other structure) you pay for the room for a library (typically 10g by book standards) and then it's 30g to make that room a library? Or is the cost of the room covered in that 30g base cost? I ask because the house I have plans to build had a room dedicated for a library before this post.
 

Shin

Artisan
I will allow Plot to answer definitively, however it is my understanding that it is 30 Gold to buy an initial library. This is to cover the cost of the base number of books, texts and storage for said books.
 

Jim

Scholar
Libraries were intended to be their own structures. These are large libraries, not just a few shelves in your home. Also, the 30 gold pays for the building, you must quest for the books! :)
 

jtsquish

Newbie
Awesome! Thank you for the clarification. It sounds like something very fun to invest into and I look forward to experiencing it in game!
 
Can libraries be shared for the purpose of downtimes? Say my friend Billy has a library, if Billy allows me into his library, can I use it to send a downtime?

Does it make any difference if Billy is also using the library for the same downtime period, but for a different purpose?
 

Jim

Scholar
The original intent is one person per library per downtime.
 
Top