Lil help?

Nephster

Hullo! I am a newbie to this idea of LARP, and it sounds like loads of fun. I always told myself this was exactly the sort of thing I would never do, but I started reading Geebas on Parade and it awoke a powerful need that I was not previously aware of. I intend to make it out to an event ASAP but I have a few questions.

I read that there are two rule books needed to play. The core alliance rulebook (which I have, and will order more to give other interested friends and to replace my own which is near unreadable on account of the drool) and the chapter-specific rulebook, which I have no idea how to order. Where can I find it? Do I just need to show up to an event and purchase it there?

My friends and I plan on NPCing the first time we show up. But how does that work? Should we call ahead or pre-register to do that? If by some miracle I can get my whole gaming group to come with me (8 people, including myself) will we all be able to play? I read somewhere that there are never too many NPC's, which I'm sure is true, but is there ever not enough floor space for bodies? I don't want to bring unexpected mouths and look like a jerk.

Thank you!

welcome to the wonderful world of larping! alliance oregon has an event this very weekend (oct 9-11) if y'all can make it, but if that's a bit too short notice, i think alliance seattle has one coming up in november? someone from seattle want to confirm/deny that? the event this weekend is at a site called Brookes Memorial State Park; you can google it for whatever directions best suit you. it's free to npc and npc food is also free, so it's a fairly cheap way to test the game out. there will also be a decent number of first-eventer's at this game, so you'd be in good company.

not sure what would have been interpreted as a chapter specific rulebook that you'd need to buy, but to function in any alliance game you really only need the official alliance rulebook. any "house rules" that are chapter specific will be gone over at opening ceremonies and, as any of the rules, you are encouraged to ask for clarification during the event if something confuses you. there are sometimes chapter-specific racial packets that contain information pertinent to a particular campaign, but those are free upon request/creation of a character. just the one you're playing though, no trying to learn everyone's secrets ^_^

it's always appreciated if you let the staff know if you'll be attending to npc, so we can see how ragged we're going to have to run everyone over the course of the event. there are never enough npc's. as many as come will be able to play, though we'll never be sure who will get to play what. as for sleeping space, that has never been a problem in my recollection. at absolute worst we'll steal one of the pc cabins for extra npc's, or we can set up air mattresses in monster camp itself. but i don't think we've ever run out of bunks for npc's. the food thing is the only kicker, because we provide our npc food, and if we plan for x number and get x+n, there MIGHT be some problems. we also try to plan over, but then there's the people who are unexpectedly bottomless pits or whatever ^_^ but if you let someone know asap that you plan to come and how many you are, arrangements can be made as late as on the way to site.

does that help? we'd love to see you this weekend if you could make it ^_^

I'd love to come out this weekend too! Sadly, our schedules will not permit it. We also live in Northern California, so I think if I suggest a weekend trip to seattle I may get lynched. I saw that there was a January event happening, which would be alot easier for us to plan for. (Aside from being so long away.... that is.)

jinkityjink said:
not sure what would have been interpreted as a chapter specific rulebook that you'd need to buy

On [url=http://www.alliancelarp.com/books.php]http://www.alliancelarp.com/books.php[/url] said:
There are actually two books you should get to play an Alliance game. The first is the Rule Book.
Each chapter then has its own Player's Guide.
I don't know about the other chapters, but that's not true for the Oregon or Seattle ones.

The next Alliance Seattle event is Nov. 20-22 at Camp Sheppard. This one's a bit of a drive to be sure, but all the sites they use are not strictly farther away than the ones Oregon uses (If you're coming through I-5, that is), so don't discount playing with them just because they have "Seattle" in their name.

I'm terrible at remembering all but the next LARP event for a given group, and there doesn't seem to be a thread in this forum about it, so I can't confirm or deny the presence of a January event with this group. There is, however, another group that several of us play in that is running an event January 8-10 at Millersylvania State Park. You'd have to go to http://devia.larper.com for more information on them, though.

I'll check out the seattle one and see if I can drag anyone out for it. I almost can't stand waiting till january. I got the January date from http://www.allianceoregon.com although details are sketchy about that one.

edit* Looks like the difference between a 9 hour trip and a 12 hour trip. I will broach the subject. If this is my last post, please know that I intended to come out and play at some time, but was slain by my own companions.

The dates on that Oregon website look like they are for last year's January event. The event after this weekend's, Oct. 9-11, is not yet scheduled. Sounds like this weekend is going to be a really good game, so if you feel a bit crazy and want to drive a bunch on short notice... NPC's are always very appreciated.

The next West Coast Alliance event, after Oregon, is a Seattle event, Nov. 21. There is also an Alliance chapter based in San Francisco. It doesn't look like they have their next event scheduled yet, but you can check with them too.

We hope you can make it out sometime, new people are always appreciated!

~Carmen

Nephster said:
Looks like the difference between a 9 hour trip and a 12 hour trip.
I'll remember that when I start to think I'm at all hard core for making the trip from Eugene.

But, yeah, definitely make sure you're not overlooking an opportunity to play with the folks at San Francisco. I'm sure they love new people as much as we do.

Well... RATS. How did I overlook the year?!!? *sigh*

Looks like no matter where I go its a min of 9 hours. That's cool though. We all knew we'd have to take time off of work anyhow.

Back