Locks?

Paul

I was wondering about how I would go about putting an IG lock onto my own cabin. Can I do this if I do not have the Legerdemain skill? What kind of locks would anyone suggest buying, since they have to be fairly easy to pick? Finally, what kind of notes (if any) would I have to add to the marshal notes on the inside of the cabin?

Thanks

Paul said:
I was wondering about how I would go about putting an IG lock onto my own cabin. Can I do this if I do not have the Legerdemain skill? What kind of locks would anyone suggest buying, since they have to be fairly easy to pick? Finally, what kind of notes (if any) would I have to add to the marshal notes on the inside of the cabin?

Thanks
Ok, step by step. How you hang the lock depends a bit on if its on the door or in, but it should be done in such a way that people can enter without actally opening it. Aka the marshal to check the notes and anyone rifting. If its just a lock on the door, and you have a key, you dont need legerdermain, but you do need a lock IG, and will have to buy it:). If its built into the door, someone will need to build it into the door for you, talk to plot about it, but some NPC can prob be payed to do it.The lock has to be a key type, and must past marshal approval, aka be easy to pick and look peirod more or less. I myself have an replica type lock, very large and heavy, but also very simple. If you find a few you like, bring them by, or better yet, talk to some of the theives of the game OOC and see what they use/work against. The marshal notes should always note anything about your cabin that may effect game. So ward,wizard locks, traps,locks, oog areas, IG hidding places (These places have to be physreped as well, but this is mostly so the marshal knows that when X rogue opens that Y secret thing, he/she knows it isnt from some other game. Most of the time, hidding places are not secret like under the mattress or a rug and such, and dont need to be noted, as long as they are IG)
Also, if you have a lock, details about it should be on the notes as well. Aka stringthened,magic, paste on it (also should be tagged or physreped on the lock) ect.
I think I covered it all, but if I missed something someone chime in.

you do need a lock IG, and will have to buy it.

Please note that there is no requirement for a tag when using a "base lock". Tags are only required if the lock has special effects on it (such as resist shatter). Just like you don't need to have a tag or permission from anyone to sit in your chair, you don't need a tag or permission to bring in a lock and use it.

The lock has to be a key type, and must past marshal approval, aka be easy to pick and look peirod more or less.

The common type for cabin usage are "warder locks", aka, the big heavy gatelocks. They can be easily picked with a set of flat dummy keys, purchasable at LarpWare.*see SIDENOTE, below.

The other common type are simple luggage or diary locks, which can easily be picked using a paperclip.

1. NEVER attach a lock or other impeding device directly to a closure such as the windows and door of your cabin. Tape it to the door or window and note it in the marshal notes.
  2. See rule 1. This is a terrible violation of the safety rules, punishable as any other safety violation.
  3. On chests, books, or other closure devices, attach the lock via a clasp ring. Locks need to be bypassable by marshals and players using things such as shatter spells.
  4. On embedded locks for the above items, simply leave it unlocked and place a small card on the closure indicating if it is in it's locked or unlocked state.

*SIDENOTE: While it is not illegal to own such picks, or the more tricky sort: rakes and tension bar sets, in the state of Washington, I recommend carrying a copy of the laws with their lockpicks. (I also recommend this for where ever you decide to travel with your lockpicks.) Essentially, its illegal to have them (or anything else with them) if they can reasonably believe that you intend to use them for the commision of a crime, such as criminal trespass.

RCW 9A.52.060
Making or having burglar tools.

(1) Every person who shall make or mend or cause to be made or mended, or have in his possession, any engine, machine, tool, false key, pick lock, bit, nippers, or implement adapted, designed, or commonly used for the commission of burglary under circumstances evincing an intent to use or employ, or allow the same to be used or employed in the commission of a burglary, or knowing that the same is intended to be so used, shall be guilty of making or having burglar tools.

(2) Making or having burglar tools is a gross misdemeanor.

jpariury said:
you do need a lock IG, and will have to buy it.

Please note that there is no requirement for a tag when using a "base lock". Tags are only required if the lock has special effects on it (such as resist shatter). Just like you don't need to have a tag or permission from anyone to sit in your chair, you don't need a tag or permission to bring in a lock and use it.

Hum, ok, I thought you still needed to a tag for a basic one, so it could be stolen and changed and ect IG. However, no matter what, a tag for a lock would be easy to get I think.

Kauss said:
Hum, ok, I thought you still needed to a tag for a basic one, so it could be stolen and changed and ect IG. However, no matter what, a tag for a lock would be easy to get I think.

Unfortunately, that would require production of an Item tag labeled 'basic lock', when it was obviously not important enough to be in the rulebook... its the same thing as with basic jewelry (reason people, I dont mean gemstones or whatever here), or bread, or clothes... You don't carry around tags for your boots do you?*

More importantly, have you seen a NPC Coppersmith, Baker, or Seemstress recently? giving away tags?

Or do you mean just going to logistics and saying 'I want a lock. Give me a tag'... because that would mean the value of your lock is nothing, so there is no point stealing it.

*magic boots excluded

Merxis said:
Unfortunately, that would require production of an Item tag labeled 'basic lock', when it was obviously not important enough to be in the rulebook... its the same thing as with basic jewelry (reason people, I dont mean gemstones or whatever here), or bread, or clothes... You don't carry around tags for your boots do you?*

More importantly, have you seen a NPC Coppersmith, Baker, or Seemstress recently? giving away tags?

Or do you mean just going to logistics and saying 'I want a lock. Give me a tag'... because that would mean the value of your lock is nothing, so there is no point stealing it.

*magic boots excluded

Um actally, yes. :) I have seen jewlry in game taged that people by from a merchant. Most baked goods do not have tags, but if they do anything that someone may have a question about, they have a tag as well. Nothing from a seamstress yet, but if I asked for a bolt of silk, I would probobly get a tag.
Now as to the lock tag, yes the lock might be worthless, but if stolen, could be used as a lock, could be the target of a ritual, of strengthened by a smith (slivered as well, but I cant think of a lot of reasons for that). If its not tagged, then there may be some confusion. Personly I am not too worried.

Back