Looking at getting back into LARP

Draeyven

Greetings and Salutations!

I use to Larp with NERO back in day ..... life pulled me away, but now opportunities have come to where I can do it again. What is turn out today? Is it still as popular as it was so many years ago? I just want to know if it is worth getting back into as I see Nero is basically non-existent in NH anymore...

thank you for any feedback in advance!

Welcome!

I got back into the hobby myself just a few years ago, after starting with NERO Alliance in the early 2000s. I never played on the NERO International side of the fence, but I did play when there still weren't that many differences between the two systems. I returned to find that Alliance has done a great job updating and improving the rules more or less continuously, with the most dramatic rules change yet (the "2.0" rules) only going live this year. While there are a few things I miss with the old rules, the new rules are objectively better in most ways and are definitely easier to learn than the old ones, so this is a great time to start playing. You will still recognize a lot from having played NERO previously.

I'm currently in the process of jumping ship from the Northeast Pennsylvania chapter to the New Hampshire chapter myself. The turnout for the game varies based on chapter, of course. I've attended two New Hampshire events so far, in the Videa campaign, and I had a ton of fun. I would guess there were around 15-18 PCs and about 5-7 NPCs at each event (the NH chapter enforces a 3:1 minimum PC to NPC ratio, but they seem to always have enough NPCs that I've never been on the waiting list for a PC slot). The people were all very friendly and I was able to be involved in adventuring right away, without any cliquishness or anything. Everyone seemed very excited to see new faces... it seems most of the players are local, whereas my LARPing partner and myself drive in from out of state, so it's possible that NH might be one of the smaller chapters.

I'm finishing out this year's NE PA events because the campaign setting that my character is from is coming to an end (I can only take so many weekends off from work), but I plan to get back to regularly attending the Video events next year.

Do note that many chapters are starting to take their online organizing to a more Facebook-centric approach, so if these forums seem quiet to you, that might be the reason.

Thanks for the reply! Still going through the rulebook, and I do see some of the phrases for dealing damage, or spells are quite the same or similar.

I see only a couple more events left, hopefully I can get my act together to particpate. Hopefully we cross paths and start an adventure!

Yes, a lot of emphasis on the new rules was on call consistency. Little things like renaming "magic armor" to "weapon shield" in order to make it consistent with the already existing poison shield, elemental shield, etc.

If you continue attending NH events next year, and are in the Videa campaign, you'll certainly see me.

Cinderfell is a higher level campaign, overall, but with things for players of all levels to participate in, and everything I've heard about it so far sounds fantastic.

We will have to connect on Facebook or something, chat about future endeavors because I remember when I started out new in NERO and it helped when you had a couple friends along

Same avatar on Facebook as these forums if you run across me in one of the NH Facebook groups. Most chapters have a chapter group and then separate pages for each campaign that they run.

That said, you're going to have a good time, regardless. Most of the PC personalities are pretty outgoing... there are not really any "brooding loners" to hedge you out of participating in the adventuring.

Not knowing where you are coming from, drive time wise, I should mention that while some folks sleep on site. I think most are semi local and actually go home when NPC camp calls it for the night. I sleep in character and prepare breakfast before NPC camp opens in the morning. They provide an in game dinner on Saturday. If you're of the overnight camping crowd and don't feel like hopping in and out of garb/ makeup to go into town for breakfast, let me know and we can start pooling resources next season for the sake of efficiency/ ease/ cost efficacy.

I just requested to be added to Videa group on Fb. As soon as we connect, I'll fill you in on where I'm at, and I am definitely a full player from start to finish lol

Back