Looking for help with a crafting example

James Trotta

Spellsword
Diversity Committee
Hi friends,

Having read the final 2.1, I'm not sure I get how crafting works. Let's say I have alchemy 20. I spend all 20 points things other than CAE. I still get to craft 20 points' worth at logistics, right? I just need 20 crafting materials or a toolkit and a gold piece. Without the crafting materials or the toolkit, I can't craft anything?

Then if I spend my 20 points on CAE, I get two batches of 20, one from logistics and one from my points in CAE. The first batch of CAE, I can use a toolkit without spending a gold?

The newest crafting system requires you to spend Skill points into Craft [Skill] Equipment Batch (CEB)* to get any equipment. The "free equipment" from earlier in 2.1 Beta is gone.

Now, each time you buy CEB (at 2 Skill Points times the Batch number), you unlock your full Skill Points as a "crafting pool". You get a "free Toolkit" (don't need to spend the 1 gold) for the First Batch of every Logistics Period (LP) automatically. However, every batch thereafter in that LP and you need to fill the pool with Crafting Materials (CM) or a Toolkit.

To your example, with 20 Alchemy:
  • First Batch: you spend 2 Alchemy skill points on CEB1 to open your crafting pool. You get a free Toolkit (20 production points of Alchemy Adventuring equipment, in this case) because it's the First Batch of the Logistics Period. You can take all the equipment right then and there, or get a Batch Card with whatever points you don't spend for later use in that Logistics period.
  • Second Batch: you spend 4 Alchemy Skill Points on CEB2 (two times Batch number, #2) to open up that 20 point pool again. This time, you have to fill the pool with either a Toolkit, CM and/or your Batch Card. You can fill up to the pool as much as you want, but you won't get change or overcap spillover, so use your Batch Card first.
  • Every batch thereafter in that Logistics Period: You spend X skill points on CEB# (X = # times 2) to reopen the pool; you can then fill it with Batch cards, CM or toolkits as you see fit. Rinse; repeat.

The practical upshot is that if you want to Craft during a particular LP, you have to put some of your Skill points aside for CEB.

*edit: to updatedCrafting Skill name Craft [Skill] Equipment Batch (CEB)

Last edited:
Hi friends,

Having read the final 2.1, I'm not sure I get how crafting works. Let's say I have alchemy 20. I spend all 20 points things other than CAE. I still get to craft 20 points' worth at logistics, right? I just need 20 crafting materials or a toolkit and a gold piece. Without the crafting materials or the toolkit, I can't craft anything?

Then if I spend my 20 points on CAE, I get two batches of 20, one from logistics and one from my points in CAE. The first batch of CAE, I can use a toolkit without spending a gold?
You may be looking at the wrong packet. CAE is no longer a thing in the latest one. If the packet you are looking at references it, I’d check out the current packet (from December) available here: https://alliancelarp.com/forum/threads/2-1-rules-update-official-december-2022-packet.42516/

The example above is correct, minus some verbiage changes, but the concept of “items provided as a function of purchasing the skill” is no longer a thing with this latest packet.

¡Dagnabbit! And here I was so proud for getting it right without checking the packet. Shoulda' known better

Thank you, I get it for my example of 20 alchemy. If I can get crazy here, let’s say I have 180 alchemy. I spend 2 points, get 180 production free. I spend four points for a second batch. I use 9 toolkits and 9 gold to get another 180 points? Then if I buy a third, fourth, fifth, and sixth batch - does the cost remain the same?

If you’ve got 180 ranks of alchemy and purchase a batch, you are, essentially, purchasing the ability to spend up to 180 CM on Adventuring Equipment. You’d get 20 free, as part of the first batch, the rest you would need to pay for with CM.

If you buy a second batch, you again are purchasing the opportunity to spend up to 180 CM on Adventuring Equipment, and have the option to spend a gold and use a toolkit charge to get 20 of those CM paid.

Crafting Batches cost 2 * the batch number, and you are limited to one toolkit charge per batch.

Back