Looking for Kai

Garou52

Licking the last of lunches crumbs off his muzzle,Phelan scents the wind. Now where has that inquisitive young Foxkin gone off to now? Fluffing up his magnificent tail Phelan heads off towards the commons in search of the elusive kin.

As he continues his search. Phelan's ears perk up as he hears the people talk about the upcoming festival of crows.So a team battle is it? he thinks to himself. Looks like I will have to be on the look out for team mates now..I wonder if Vaegar will need my services in this. and if I remember right Kai has a good singing voice. Perfect for a team mate.

Muttering to himself as he thinks about the games. Phelan continues on his search of Parsens Breach for Kai.

*Kai is sitting in the sun on a patch of dry dirt. She is writing the alphabet into the dirt with a pointed stick and singing softly to herself*
Aye bee see dee eei eef .. eei eff... *she starts again*
Aye bee see dee eei eef gee-- ayech eye jay kay ell em-
*She notices Phelan walking towards her and stops her writing and singing to wave to him*

Hi Phelan!!

*She draws a wolfy face in the dirt next to the letter M, and then a happy face.*

" Hail and well met Kai ". Says Phelan with a big grin on his face as he spots the happily singing Fox-kin. " What is this I see you are doing? Have you learned the humans letters ?

*Smiles up at Phelan*
I'm learning to read and write!
Look, this is my name *She scrawls KAI in the dirt*
And this says foxkin! *She writes FOXKIN in the dirt*
And wolfkin! *She writes again, but misspells it as WULFKIN*

How are you? Whatcha been doing?

Phelan smiles and looks at what Kai has scribbled into the dirt. " So thats what they mean. very impressive indeed Kai. You have more patience then I to take on the task of learning letters."

I'm doing well thank you. I have been looking for you actually. I wanted to see if you had heard of the festival of crows that the alpha of Calenhelm is throwing in the next month? "

*Gives an ear twitch at the comment about more patience*
It's not so hard, once you make a start. And I'll be able to read all the things for myself.
*She looks around, making sure no one else is close by. She leans in and says in a hushed voice*
And if no one has to read things to me, it can be a secret!

*She leans back again* I've never heard of the festival of crows. *She chews on the clean end of her writing stick for a moment* Is that like a party for the bird people? *She remembers the bird people she knows- or knew, and frowns*

Is it a goodbye for Ithawda? *The foxkin's ears droop* I miss her.

Phelan's ears droop down as a sad smile appears across his muzzle. " Aye lass. I was saddened to hear of her demise as well. Lost a good companion we did". *Phelan gives a sad shake of his head*
" Harrumph" *Phelan clears his throat* "Back to the festival. Its apparently a contest that they people of Calanda have. I have yet to experience it myself, but from what I have learned is that teams of six compete against one another in a series of contests. There is even contest that involve entertainment and a scavenging hunt.

*Her ears re-perk*
That sounds great!
I have loads of songs I can sing, and I'm pretty good at finding things too. Well, I'm better at finding shiny things, or sticks. *She chews again on her writing stick for a moment, and her tail begins to wag*

*When she speaks again, it's almost one long run on-sentence, and she pauses only to breathe*
Have you entered yet Are there fighting parts or magic parts too Do you have five team mates???
How long from now is it Will the festival thing be here Will there be special foods I love new foods!!!!

*She chews on her stick excitedly, shredding it thoroughly while she waits for Phelan to answer any of her many questions. Her tail continues to wag*

Rocking back on his heels, from the barrage of questions pouring forth from Kai. Phelan's eyes momentarily cross as he struggles to keep up.

" Whoa there. Settle down lass". He laughs. " We still have a months time to prepare for the tourney. Not until the 19th of the next month". Mentally ticking off the list of Kai's questions, Phelan continues.
" From what I was told, the festival is at a place known as Faybridge. I haven't been there myself, but im told its an elven community to the west of the breach." At the thought of trying some new food, Phelan's stomach rumbles loudly. " I'm hoping myself that there will be some special foods to try as well." He says with a chuckle and a quick lick of his muzzle.

Flicking away a bothersome fly, he continues. " I have yet to enter, nor do I have a team as of yet. The locals tell me that a team needs to be well balanced indeed, as there are separate fighting parts and magic parts in the festival."

*Phelan snaps at yet another fly*.
"Bloody pests. *ahem* " where was I..ah right. Like I said, I don't have a team yet. But I would be honored to team up with you.If you would like."

*Kai stops chewing the stick, and spits out a mouthful of pulpy wood bits* Pleh!
*She considers the answers Phelan has given her*

I'd love to be on a team with you. *She grins* You're like one of my bestest friends! Though a month isn't as much time as I would have hoped for, but I guess... *her words drift off mid-thought, as if considering some complication. As she thinks her tail slows and then stops wagging*

Well, no, I guess it will be fine. And I'd be crazy to give up new foods and a chance to compete at singing. *You get the impression she may be changing the topic quite deliberately.*

What's your favourite type of food? I love bread. And biscuits. And cookies. And cakes. And that stuff they had at the wedding. Oh goodness that was the bestest EVER! *As she starts talking about food, her tail starts again, though not as emphatically as before.*

" Excellent. I'm glad to hear it." Phelan replies with a wide smile across his muzzle.
Noticing Kai's odd behavior. Phelan cocks his head to the side quizzically. " Is there something amiss lass? You seem like something is bothering you."

*Raises the stick to her mouth again, and then notices it's only a tiny stub now. She grumbles and tosses it aside in annoyance.*

Actually, my denning day is coming up. *She shifts uncomfortably, and then runs a paw over her dirt-drawn letters, smudging them out.* When I get old enough, I won't be welcome back home. Mom and dad will kick out my year-mates, my brothers, and then... I guess start on another batch of kits. *She looks down, not meeting Phelan's eyes, because this is hard to talk about.*

*As she talks, she starts to draw stick figures in the dirt with her paw- stick figures with ears and tails.*
I never really thought about it when I left... *She forms two big figures, one with a square body, and one with a triangle body*
But there is so much I never asked my parents about... *Beside them she fills in three small figures with square bodies.*
Like stuff about being a Fox, and where we come from, and why we kept moving... *She adds herself, a small figure with a triangle body, at the end of the line.*
And about make'in kits and my blood-mates from before me. Or even why mom hates fleshies so much.

*At this she looks up at the Wolf-kin.* I mean, I've met a bunch now and I just don't see what's so bad about them. *Her ear twitches thoughtfully.* I think I have to go home.. at least try to find the others before I reach my denning day.

Phelan looks at Kai with concern in his eyes. " It is hard to understand some things in life to be sure,lass."

*Phelan rubs his ear as he ponders how to word things*

" I cant answer as to why your mother has such a dislike for "fleshies" as you call them. But I can tell you this for sure. Like you, I have met many fleshies in my travels since I left Sanctuary and while there are those who harbor hatred to our kind,there are more then enough people who look past our features and see us for who we are. That is why I am willing to shed blood to help these honest folks of Parsen's Breach."

*Phelan reaches down with a finger and lifts Kai's chin up*

''I do think it would be a good thing indeed for you to talk to your family before your denning day comes and ask those questions that are plaguing you"

*Phelan bends down and gathers up Kai in a hug*

" I hope you find your answers little one"

*The Fox-kin is immobile in Phelan's arms, letting him hug her for a long long moment before she wiggles away.*
*She snuffles softly*

Thanks for listening. I have some supplies to gather, but now that I'm sure that I'm going it needs to be soon.
*She thinks a moment*
I should talk to Isawda before I go, if I can find him. I heard something about him maybe going back to the Bird city, but maybe we're heading the same way.

"Anytime Lass. I'm always willing to lend an ear for my friends"
*Phelan grins and pulls at one of his ears*

" dont think I've seen the Sheriff but I was looking for you at the time."
*Phelan cocks his head and looks at Kai as a thought crosses his mind*
" Do you need anything for your journey that I can help out with?"

Oh, nothing special- some food mostly. *Her tummy grumbles at the mention of food*
Er, heh.
I've been meaning to pick up some other stuff anyway, like some rope and a spare hat. Maybe a lantern.
Anyway, I should get started. I'll see you at the festival, whatever happens. *She smiles*

*She stands up and brushes dry dirt from her skirts.*
If you see Isawda first, do let him know I'm looking for him.
*She bends to hug Phelan, and heads out in the direction of the market.*

" Have a safe trip Kai. I look forward to hear some new stories of your travels when next we meet"
*Phelan waves at Kai as she leaves*

Now to find Brunor about getting my short sword silvered. thinks Phelan as he heads off toward the distant sounds of the forge.

Back