Looking for the Market Day Town Box/Name change

Willem Rivet

Artisan
Greetings from the Dragon's Hoard!

As we roll back into this lovely community, I am looking for the current holders of the Town Box that accumulates Production and Ritual Scrolls intended for community use. It used to be Enan's thing, then Foss's thing and I don't know what happened to it afterwards. Anyway, The Dragon's Hoard used to purchase Production from said box to pad out the split to adventurers after the bigger fights, and we'd like to open those discussions up again.

For those friends I've met before, I go by Willem Rivet now but I used to be known as Joseph Smith. I'll respond to either now, but would prefer Willem. It's my actual name.

Willem Rivet/Joseph Smith
Owner of the Dragon's Hoard

Joseph, good to hear from you.

The town box is currently in the possession of the adventuring guild Fate's Pawns. Normally Lady Beryl Bunchberry of Fate's Pawns has it. I don't believe there is a lot of production in there and as newer adventures have been more willing to pick up alchemy and brewing professions. However I will ask for an updated list of everything in the town box before the next market takes place.

~Isabo Haasahina of spider clan (OOG Dani Carstens)
Avatar of the elder Black Dragon
Member of Fate's Pawns

Thanks, Isabo. Good to hear from you.

As part of that discussion, I'd like to ask about what the philosophy has been surrounding the Town Box. Is this something the nobles decide? Do the adventurers vote? Is it actually someone's personal bank that they are being altruistic with by calling it the Town Box?

Do we want it to be populated, or empty? Is it something we should have crafters fill, or try to liquidate everything into coin for disbursement?

William,

The Adventuring Box, as Town Box is no longer the appropriate name, is used in many ways. When portions are split the Box is given a share.

This coin is used if an item is found that could be useful to the Adventuring Community as a whole or if there is an instance where an individual is missed when count is made for cuts and they are still entitled to their share. That share is made from the coin in the box. When the items are found the assembled will, as a group, be presented with what I, or those handling the auction, feel is a fair price. If that is accepted by the group then the box will pay for the item and the item will be set aside for communal use.

Additionally, it is used to gather components that will be needed for the ritual scrolls that will be used on behalf of the community. Along that vein, potions, battle magic scrolls and Alchemy will be put into the box if it is either specifically crafted for the betterment of the community or to prepare for an upcoming fight.

It is my intent to do a survey of the Box in the coming weeks so that I can present the community with a quarterly update.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

In Service,
Lady Beryl Bunchberry
Lady of Accord
Wife of Duke Brakken of the Eternal Crown
Quartermaster of Fate's Pawns

Lady Bunchberry,

To make sure I understand, then:
The Adventuring Box is yours, and as a matter of altruism is meant to service the adventuring community.
It is ideal to fill the box, not take away from it, since it will be given without cost to those in need.

How is need determined, and who decides if things are dispensed from the box?

Also, congratulations to you for ascending to Lady! Would you prefer Lady Bunchberry or Lady Beryl as a form of address? I prefer Willem.

-Willem Rivet/Joseph Smith

William,

Either title is sufficient, I will answer to both.

The box belongs to the community. I manage it. If, at some point in time, the community no longer wished me to manage it then I would relinquish it to whom ever the community chose to replace me.

Ideally, if things are taken from the box, beyond coin to make up for missing cuts, the community would be notified of intent and given a chance to voice dissent if they so chose. There are magic items that are held in trust and, so far, the community has trusted my judgement on the use of those items.

Though it has not come up, it is a possibility that I would have to make a judgement call regarding using up consumables (ie production, ritual scrolls, components, ect..). If that were to occur I would come before the community and offer an accounting as to what was used and why.

I hope this clarifies things for you.

In Service,
Lady Beryl Bunchberry
Lady of Accord

Lady Bunchberry,

I swear I'm not trying to be difficult, the specifics just matter a great deal to me. If I stray into being disrespectful, please let me know.

It sounds like you believe what you say, and that is commendable. But it sounds like your box.

You manage the contents, would make the judgment as to whether something should be used, and are a Lady. This sounds like it *could* be a community resource, and probably will more often than not be, but isn't owned by the community. I understand if we continue to disagree on the matter.

Respectfully, I remain Willem, not William.

Willem,

I know past distrust in the ways of the town box was warranted but the Adventuring community you last knew is no more. In these 3+ years there has been more cooperation and sharing of resources. The town box was only recently acquired by Lady Beryl after Foss had it for so ling and even then it came with little.

I encourage you to see this community and its actions in person and hopefully the past mistrust regarding the box can be let go.

A simple Prince Consort, which isnt quite a noble title but hey, marriage to a Princess is still a marriage,
Gregory Renaldo Binks III

Binks, great to hear from you.

You speak wisdom. I haven't seen this group of adventurers operate, and I shouldn't judge them based on my past interactions. I'll make new memories to draw from. My apologies for any frayed emotions. I was looking for transparency out of past pain, and it came across harsh.

Willem Rivet/Joseph Smith,

While assisting on the Saturday auction, I can confirm the following actions were taken by Guildmaster DeSylvia, a member of Lady Bunchberry's guild Fate's Pawn, on behalf of this communal reserve:
  • The odd amount of Town Auction proceeds, after everyone was allocated a similar share, was placed into the reserve.
  • Guildmaster DeSylvia bid upon (and won) a catalyst for the Gift of Life dragonscript, and placed it in the reserve.
  • Shares for three individuals who did not "sign up" on the roster for the Town Split were drawn from the reserve to ensure they were properly compensated.

That being said, I cannot speak to whether any resources were drawn out to support the annihilation of Spider Island inhabitants or any other venture during the market day - or, for that matter, any previous town venture.

As someone who has also questioned the provenance, use, and capacity of this resource before, I think Master Rivet is acting in good faith. The subject was last broached in May and then again in November of 321, and I do not believe the community ever reached resolution on the matter.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Prademar University
Keeper of the Tainted Grove

Last edited:
I apologize Willem.

As to the box, I hope it will help if you think of the assembled Adventuring Community as a Guild and I function as it's Quatermaster. I make no claim to own anything within that box. It is resources that have been collected by the Adverturers and placed in trust to be used as needed.

As I have said before, I do not use items and coin from it frivously. I use those items and coins as is approved by those assembled unless there is no chance to speak to the whole community first. If that is not possible then Guild Leaders and Adventuring Nobles, and as a last resort I will make a call and be prepared to explain it to the community and make restitution if they find my reasoning wanting.

Magic items that have been placed in that box are used as needed depending on why they were placed in the box to begin with.

I'm not sure when you last were with the community but since I took over managing it a year ago I have worked very hard to ensure transparency and update the community as to the items within. Additionally Dramthin Hartsboon works with myself to ensure that the results of the auctions held at the market are published for all to see. Again, transparency is something we strive for as well as open communication. I sincerely hope that you will observe how we as a community interact in these recent years and gain a better understanding of how the community works.

I hope this helps.

In Service,
Lady Beryl Bunchberry
Lady of Accord

Back