Looking to be a MWE-Allergic to spirit gum. :(

BeeReckless

Hello all! I'm looking to start PC LARPing in April or May. I've already created my bow and made almost everything for my character. However, I've hit a bit of a wall with everything. Because, I'm having the ultimate first world mystic wood elf problem. I'm allergic to the spirit gum I was using to put my ears on. It's not the latex, but something in the spirit gum's ingredients itself. Which is a total bummer.
I was wondering if anyone else out there has hit this same wall and has an idea as to what I could use? I was going to use regular Liquid Latex, but I feel like that wouldn't be the best choice...and that someone else might have a better idea.
So...thoughts?

Thanks all,
Bee

Hey Bee!

I make prosthetics, and I also currently play a MWE. I don't use spirit gum just because I *hate* how it feels.

Liquid Latex is an option, but prolonged use will build up on your prosthetics (it will bind with the latex of the ears/horns themselves) and quickly ruin them.

What I've been using is Pros-Aide, which is a medical grade adhesive. A lot of the unnamed 'costume glue's are some formula of Pros-Aide but I wouldn't take the risk on that and instead I bought mine form http://www.aradanicostumes.com/adhesives_removers/pros_ad_bundle

You do *really* need the remover for it. Otherwise it will never come off.

(EDIT) B. Barber already beat me to it! Lol!

I always tell people that liquid latex is far superior to spirit gum when it comes to ears, so: Liquid latex is far superior to spirit gum when it comes to ears. Go with liquid latex!

I wish I would have realized liquid latex's superiority before playing an elf for more than four years and hating spirit gum all the while. Your aversion to spirit gum is a blessing in disguise, since you won't go through the same discovery process I did. :)

I have worn ears for entire weekends and used a headband to keep them on my ears. Elastic band for the horns.

I have worn ears for entire weekends and used a headband to keep them on my ears. Elastic band for the horns.
Same. I do not use any adhesive for either my horns or my ears, the headband keeps them on just fine.

Also a big fan of the headband, this last event I just finished a new set of horns that I used a long scarf tied around my head to hide wiring for LEDs. It was my first weekend using one rather then gluing my horns on and it's definitely made all the difference!

I use pros-aide for my ears, and it works great. Stays on very well, despite nearly anything that I try to slip over my head tugging at the ears. You don't strictly need a remover for it if you don't mind band-aid levels of pain, but the remover is just isopropyl alcohol anyway. I just use liquid latex around the edges to blend things in better.

I don't play a MWE, so no comments on wearing the horns other than to say the headband thing looks a bit cheesy. I know a lot of people use them, but if your goal is to impress from a costuming standpoint then the devil is in the details, for certain.

Prosthetic Adhesive has been my jam for many years. Not only is it a high-stick, low-rigidity deal, but it also remains sticky if you do lose an ear or horn and can simply stick back on for the temporary fix.

Back