Love #9 in practice

Yardpuppy

There is a thread over at the rules forum about this, but I thought this part of the discussion might be better over here:

If you have ever received the Love Potion #9 effect or seen someone else take the effect, how was the effect delivered? Was it mixed into something else, like food or drink? Or was the recipient given a vial of the elixir and just drank it, because they trusted the person who gave it to them? Or was this effect doled out by a monster somehow, a Love Monkey swinging for 0 Love Potion #9 or throwing spell packets with the same effect? Or some other way?

Oh, THAT sounds dangerous and room clearing: wanna get the PC's out of the tavern, just have a Love Monkey walk in and watch the adventurers scatter. :wub2:

Thanks.

I think Ive always seen it delivered via a magical effect, or cast.

Come to think of it, I dont think I have ever seen it in a vial....

Packet-thrown fey curse.

For the record, I hate this effect beyond and above anything else in our game system.

I know of one incident where some one who could not read started pumping potions/vials into some one until they got up. One was a love (not to sure if it was love 9 or not though).

I've only seen it in a packet-delivered attack (that got me in the middle of combat). Given its name, I'm positive it exists in elixir form somewhere.

I've seen it in elixir form... I've only ever seen it applied through some sort of packet delivery though.

That probably has something to do with not being able to mix it into food or drink.

My favorite involves a fey throwing a Love 9 at Heidi who was playing Baroness Glenduria at the time. The fey then attempted to convince her to come with him and she refused. "You know that was a Love 9 you can't resist, right?" "Yes, I know," she replied. He gave up and went on to get some other prey.

For the next month, Baroness Glen sent flowers and invitations to "come visit me at my estate" to the female sarr who happened to be standing next to her at the time of the casting...

I have seen it delivered via elixir in my chapter.

have seen in it in vials ig and have seen it appear a few times ig and was once under its effects as my pc

I've seen it mixed into a drink (I thought it was legit, and so did at least the person doing the mixing and the marshal present), I've accidentally fed one to someone as a PC that was in a pile of "These are all Cure Light Elixirs," I've seen it thrown by fey, oozes, and a few other critters, I've been struck by it as a carrier (until I called the flub, "6 Love 9" isn't correct, the whole carrier should have been "6 Love Potion Number 9," the card was soon after re-written to just swing for "Love"), and I've Bane'd it back on a vampire who had Love 9 gaze (that was awesome).

Wraith said:
I hate this effect beyond and above anything else in our game system.
Terror. But I don't actually know for sure anyone who has given up hard enough to actually use Terror.

I've thrown it as a wonky NPC as "Arcane Love 9," the idea was that it wasn't an ingested liquid, and considered an LCO effect because of it's non-standard delivery, so that was the correct verbal.

I've seen it happen under multiple circumstances, but never as a fed elixir, always as an odd LCO effect.

Honestly I don't know why everyone 'hates' on Terror so bad. And imho it doesn't mean you've "given up". I've seen Terror used in a couple chapters and really it often just ends up making the MWE, Stone Elves, and/or Biata who have some Break Commands feel cool fixing people. If there are any High Orcs/Ogres too they feel cool because of their racial proclivity. I've never seen it used enough to really pulverize a town or anything...

Just saying

But this could be the start of a reeaaal tangent.

I certainly like Love #9 less than terror myself, and probably the least of all affects in the game.

Fearless Leader said:
What's wrong with Love 9? It's an elixir which only increases role-playing and can't hurt you in combat in the slightest

Unless the object of your affection is on the other side of the fight...then the guy always looses. :)

(married folk get the joke)

It doesn't make you suicidal. It just means that you have to roleplay being in love, but doesn't stipulate that it's insane or over-the-top. How you choose to play it is on you, and based in the way you've already made your character's personality.

Fearless Leader said:
What's wrong with Love 9? It's an elixir which only increases role-playing and can't hurt you in combat in the slightest

Because some people are deeply uncomfortable with the nature of that role play and the potential for abuse it allows coupled with the startling fact that Love 9 is the second hardest effect in the game to get rid of. Love 9 is potentially crippling to a character whose player is really not interested in the effect (really, someone can refuse a pig nose per the rules) and cannot be removed short of rezzing or waiting it out over the rest of the event (which makes no in game sense whatsoever due to its nature). Not everyone is going to be comfortable with suddenly falling deeply in love with someone who they may not know well or even like much out of game. On this point, despite the passage in the rule book basically saying "it's harmless and silly", many people hold and will continue to hold the opinion that the effect brings nothing good to the table to justify how out of game creepy it feels to them.

I've seen people given the option to play it as, well, basically a charm they couldn't get rid of. They were deeply interested in keeping that person safe, alive, comfortable, happy, and sometimes well funded.

I find it interesting to watch how people have to adjust characters to have additional loyalties.

Dan Nickname Beshers said:
Fearless Leader said:

Because some people are deeply uncomfortable with the nature of that role play and the potential for abuse it allows coupled with the startling fact that Love 9 is the second hardest effect in the game to get rid of. Love 9 is potentially crippling to a character whose player is really not interested in the effect (really, someone can refuse a pig nose per the rules) and cannot be removed short of rezzing or waiting it out over the rest of the event (which makes no in game sense whatsoever due to its nature). Not everyone is going to be comfortable with suddenly falling deeply in love with someone who they may not know well or even like much out of game. On this point, despite the passage in the rule book basically saying "it's harmless and silly", many people hold and will continue to hold the opinion that the effect brings nothing good to the table to justify how out of game creepy it feels to them.

Pretty much this.

I see Love 9 getting thrown and I generally go find my bunk and a book for a while.

Some folks just have real world experiences that Love 9 and the ensuing rp is too triggery for.

Back