Machine-gunning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jovunn

Adept
This might be a silly question to ask, but as I'm still a newish player, I need clarification.

When is it acceptable for a player to call another player - PC or NPC - on machine-gunning?
It's one thing to be hit by multiple players at the same time - that's just part of the game, and that's not even machine-gunning anyway. If I'm being hit quickly and a player is still understandably pronouncing their carriers and damage points, I'm willing to go along with that from the RP perspective of, "Oh, I am fighting a fighter more skilled than I." I won't hesitate to call someone if their verbals become a mishmash of syllables. But what about a character hitting so fast I can't physically get a verbal out in kind? What if I can't even raise my weapon - not because I'm defending myself, but because I'm just being hit that fast? Am I to also roleplay that as though it's just par for the course in combat? Where does the line get drawn between gameplay and a rules infraction?
I feel this is an issue with grey area. I'm just try'na get a better feel for things.

If you are swinging so fast that you cannot
announce the damage fast enough to keep
up with the swings, then you are “Drum Rolling”
or “Machine Gunning.” Your opponent
should count all of that as one or maybe two
hits.
A weapon swing should progress between
45 to 90 degrees. If you are merely moving your
wrist back and forth to cause your damage, then
you are not fighting correctly and may be subject
to disciplinary action.
Consecutive hits upon the same spot on
the body only count as one hit. You must vary
your hits on your target in order to prevent
machine gunning. For instance, a double hit
upon the right shoulder requires that the victim
take damage only once. However, if more than
two seconds elapses between two scored hits,
or if a different location has been hit, then the
damage is taken. For instance, if a warrior
quickly hits the right shoulder, then hits the
shield, and then hits the right shoulder of his
victim, the victim is required to take damage
twice.
Clear damage “verbals” will be enforced.
If the victim cannot understand the damage
called, he or she does not have to take the damage.
Warriors must pronounce their “verbals”
just like spellcasters must pronounce their spell
incants

Upvote 0
This is a tough one to describe with words on a forum posts. I suggest you talk to a Rules Marshal at your next game and have them demonstrate it for you in-person. If the other person is just that fast and good with a boffer (we have a couple players like that in my local chapter) and is still following all the rules, then I'd say yes, both in and out of game, you are simply fighting someone more skilled.

Upvote 0
Jovunn said:
This might be a silly question to ask, but as I'm still a newish player, I need clarification.

When is it acceptable for a player to call another player - PC or NPC - on machine-gunning?
It's one thing to be hit by multiple players at the same time - that's just part of the game, and that's not even machine-gunning anyway. If I'm being hit quickly and a player is still understandably pronouncing their carriers and damage points, I'm willing to go along with that from the RP perspective of, "Oh, I am fighting a fighter more skilled than I." I won't hesitate to call someone if their verbals become a mishmash of syllables. But what about a character hitting so fast I can't physically get a verbal out in kind? What if I can't even raise my weapon - not because I'm defending myself, but because I'm just being hit that fast? Am I to also roleplay that as though it's just par for the course in combat? Where does the line get drawn between gameplay and a rules infraction?
I feel this is an issue with grey area. I'm just try'na get a better feel for things.

As they said, check with your local rules marshals, but the rules as written are pretty clear. Damage calls, like spell incants, must be fully and clearly spoken as part of each attack. The general consensus among the marshals I've asked over the last few years is that a shot that lands before the verbal for it is completed is 'blown', just as a spell packet thown before the completion of a spell verbal is a 'blown' spell. This, when combined with the requirements to vary targets and swing through at least 45 degrees of arc while still fighting in a safe and controlled manner, is the basis of a good hit. Your mileage may vary.

Upvote 0
By the same token it is always appreciated to let a person know if they hit you...I know there have been line fights where I keep swinging for the same shot because amongst other things I did not think I had hit it yet only to get yelled back at for hitting the same location twice...sometimes there are only so many good shots you can take at someone when you are in/facing the dreaded hedgehog!

Joe S.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back