Magic Augmentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleSchmelz

Fighter
I would like some confirmation on how the High Magic ability "Magic Augmentation" works.

1. Can you use Magic Whatever while Silenced? (I know this was just answered in another question, but I figured I'd try to cover all my bases)
2. Can you use Magic Whatever while Bound, Webbed, or Confined?
3. Can you use Magic Whatever when you have no Game Abilities because of an effect like Laugh, Vertigo, etc?

Judging by my reading of the rulebook, it looks like you just have to be able move your mouth in order to use Magic Whatever and it doesn't technically count as a Game Ability, so these would all be valid, but I wanted confirmation on this since it caught me by surprise this weekend when a BBG was able to dispel his own poison effects. Are there any other effects you normally wouldn't be able to get yourself out of where a Magically Augmented spell allows you to do so?

Bonus question:
Is there any situation where you could use Magic Whatever but not be able to activate an item for the Whatever spell, or vice versa? Does it matter if the person activating the item can just say "Activate Whatever" or has to use the full incant?

KyleSchmelz said:
Judging by my reading of the rulebook, it looks like you just have to be able move your mouth in order to use Magic Whatever and it doesn't technically count as a Game Ability, so these would all be valid

True.

KyleSchmelz said:
Bonus question:
Is there any situation where you could use Magic Whatever but not be able to activate an item for the Whatever spell, or vice versa? Does it matter if the person activating the item can just say "Activate Whatever" or has to use the full incant?

Silence. While under a Silence effect you can use "Magic Whatever", but not "Activate Whatever".

To activate a Magic Item you must be able to speak. "Activate Blah" is an OOG representation of saying an IG command word. "Magic Blah" is an OOG representation of using a Magic ability; the only reason for putting in the "must be able to move your mouth" rule is so that some incapacitation methods will actually incapacitate (Paralysis, Prison, etc.) (i.e. no "get out of Prison free" card).

Seth Bird
Seattle/Oregon Marshal

Upvote 0
Good questions Kyle!

Basically you can use 'Magic <whatever>' as a non IG incant whenever you can move you're mouth. So to give specific examples:

You can use 'Magic <whatever' to fix yourself from Silence, Drain, Confine (and the lesser bindings), Nausia, Vertio, Laugh.

You can not use 'Magic <whatever>' (or magic items) to fix yourself from Paralysis, Prison, or Feeblemind.

And basically the main situation you cannot use a MI to fix yourself, but you can use 'Magic <blah>' to fix yourself is Silence.

- DT
Head of Rules, HQ, soMN

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back