Magic Item Conversion Question - Enchant of Non-Existent Spell

beboped

Rogue
Marshal
Hey all,

Had a question come up in how to determine the number of ritual points available for a magic item I have.

I have an item with
Paralysis 3/Ever
Remove Paralysis 3/Ever

Several Questions:
1a) Remove Paralysis was an 8th Circle Spell. Cleanse is 4th Circle, a lower difficulty. Do I get a "refund" for the difference?

1b) What would I do if I had a 3/Ever Shield instead?

2) Assuming that the answer to either 1a or 1b is "Convert it using the ritual points", is the Remove Paralysis 3/Ever treated as three different rituals of the 7th difficulty rank, or one ritual of the 9th difficulty rank?

Hey all,

Had a question come up in how to determine the number of ritual points available for a magic item I have.

I have an item with
Paralysis 3/Ever
Remove Paralysis 3/Ever

Several Questions:
1a) Remove Paralysis was an 8th Circle Spell. Cleanse is 4th Circle, a lower difficulty. Do I get a "refund" for the difference?

1b) What would I do if I had a 3/Ever Shield instead?

2) Assuming that the answer to either 1a or 1b is "Convert it using the ritual points", is the Remove Paralysis 3/Ever treated as three different rituals of the 7th difficulty rank, or one ritual of the 9th difficulty rank?

I suspect the answer is in #2, and I also believe someone else asked this question. I don’t know if it’s been answered yet, regarding the conversion.

You are converting the ritual effect, not the specific spell, so I expect it would be based on the 1.3 spell levels. Granted there's no way to determine with certainty if it was one difficulty 10 enchant ritual or three difficulty 8 enchant rituals cast at the same time, given the way magic items have been recorded. However I'm going to assume that it was the simplest one while handling conversions, given that it would have been really strange for someone to burn two extra ritual scrolls and four more reagents to get the same result.

Sometimes magic items go out with 10 Evers on them. In Denver we are allowing players to choose how to convert them leaving it up to them. They can choose one scroll or multiple since it isn’t specified.

If it is ambiguous to how the item was created (such as with most TP generated items), I always convert in the player's favor. The difference is pretty small in the long run, and if they end up with an extra effect or two I consider it a perk for having to go through the (to some) non-intuitive and complicated conversion process.

To answer OP's question, I would convert that at 8x Enchant @Ritual Level 7, resulting in 1800 Ritual Points.

Back