magic item picks

jzick1984

I was wondering if for the magic item picks if we could bring something for the phys rep or do you all provide that? And if we can bring our own are there are restrictions as to what it can/can't be?

jzick1984 said:
I was wondering if for the magic item picks if we could bring something for the phys rep or do you all provide that? And if we can bring our own are there are restrictions as to what it can/can't be?

You can usually bring your own as long as it can have a MI number placed on it via dremmel or marker. Also, keep in mind that if you lose the tag, you lose the item to whoever finds it. So don't bring anyone's wedding ring or anything XD

Cozy said:
jzick1984 said:
. Also, keep in mind that if you lose the tag, you lose the item to whoever finds it. So don't bring anyone's wedding ring or anything XD

Sorry but that's incorrect. If you lose the tag you can't use the item till you get a new tag made. If you lose the ITEM you must turn the tag into the mage's guild (where people get items identified) so that if somebody finds it they can use it.

Anybody who finds just a random MI tag laying around should turn it in to the mage's guild. Not giving them the tag back doesn't prevent somebody from using an item indefinitely, it just means we waste time and resources in logistics making another one.

You're right about the wedding ring example though - do not turn anything into a magic item if you're attached to it (it's expensive, sentimental value, etc) because it becomes game property at that point and can be stolen, confiscated shattered, destroyed or otherwise made not-yours anymore.

Ezri said:
You're right about the wedding ring example though - do not turn anything into a magic item if you're attached to it (it's expensive, sentimental value, etc) because it becomes game property at that point and can be stolen, confiscated shattered, destroyed or otherwise made not-yours anymore.

While it can be stolen, you don't have to be totaly afraid to make an expensive several hundred dollar suit of armor a magic item or anything. There is an 'exemption' clause that if the player wishes to retain OOG 'ownership' of an item that the rules staff knows as having been stolen they can forfeit the IG ability to 'recognize' their item and request their expensive OOG rep back. At that point the individual who stole it just needs to provide another rep that is similar enough.

That said I still wouldn't recommend making anything like a wedding ring or something into an MI. Our game tends to 'beat up' on things pretty well... :thumbsup:

True, but it's easier to just avoid the whole headache IMO.

If the loss of your item would result in the phrase "my <insert important OOG person here> is going to kill me," you probably don't want to turn it into a magic item. ;)

Ezri said:
Cozy said:
jzick1984 said:
. Also, keep in mind that if you lose the tag, you lose the item to whoever finds it. So don't bring anyone's wedding ring or anything XD

Sorry but that's incorrect. If you lose the tag you can't use the item till you get a new tag made. If you lose the ITEM you must turn the tag into the mage's guild (where people get items identified) so that if somebody finds it they can use it.

My bad! ...Still no wedding rings!

Back