Magic, perhaps cursed, Mirrors

Mobius

Squire
Chicago Staff
Marshal
At the August Market Day, a non-descript mirror in the Flaming Skull turned hazy and expelled a disheveled and gaunt looking human. I believe the creature spoke with several members of the adventuring community, bequested two mirrors--to Housemother Adlao and Goodman Jadara, if memory serves--and then returned through the mirror-portal. I directed the two adventurers to Guildmaster DeSylvia for ritual Identification, but early morning business drove me from the mistsphere so I was unable to follow up.

Whatever happened to those mirrors? Mirror realms are often unbalanced and fractured in some manner, are these objects equally skewed? Are the recipients still hale and hardy? The Veil before The Graveyard wanes this month. As in previous years, I expect all manner of spectral, spiritual, and unsavory beings are slouching toward Westhaven.

Dramthin Hartsboon
University of Prademar
Keeper of the Tainted Grove

Last edited:
For the record, if those mirrors are similar to others tied to the large mirror in the Flaming Skull, there are quite a few of those in circulation. They link to spirits and the ones I've seen before assist in absorbing harmful magics cast at the owner.

We were told months ago that their true purpose and nature would be revealed soon (we were told in the 10th or 11th month).

Goodman Blooddrinker,

Who are the other folk who have received these mirrors? I would be interested in learning of their experiences. Also, who told you their true purpose and nature would soon be revealed? Was the source credible? Mirrors are dangerous objects in the best of times, let alone when their nature is shrouded in mystery.

Dramthin Hartsboon
University of Prademar

Quite a few members of Phoenix Flight have these mirrors Dram. The figure in the mirror has requested I make nominations of someone to carry the mirror for the upcoming market. It sounded urgent and my mirror has vanished, at least temporarily. At markets I have seen this lady calling herself 'Mary the Pure' three times.

I can persue specifics if you'd like Dram.

Master Firebrand

Guildmaster Firebrand,

If you feel comfortable and safe directing your guild to pursue the matter, I think it would be of benefit to the Kingdom. Vengeful Spirits can infest objects and use them as lodestones or vessels for their energy and violence. However, the same item can also serve as a focus to quench their hate and bring them to rest. In either case, the bearer is often harmed in the process.

If the spectre is traveling through wall-mirrors and distributing hand-mirrors to seemingly random folk, I expect there is a larger plan at play as that doesn't seem the action of a simple Spirit caught between the Material Plane and the Graveyard. Repeating the name in triplicate is certain to give it power or summon its attention. That may not be advisable. Did it request anything beyond merely carrying the hand-mirror?

I expect the Earth Guild has ways to sever the bonds tied by these objects or destroy them outright. Have you contacted them or learned anything else about these portals?

Dramthin Hartsboon
University of Prademar

Ok, so here's what I understand, so far.

There are two entities we are dealing with. Both named Mary. One is "pure" and has the appearance of helpfulness (giving out the boons, information, being generally pleasant, etc), the other is bloody and is absolutely not helpful. When the large mirror appeared in the Flaming Skull, the bloody one began writing in the mirror. When we investigated (read: poked the bear), we were drawn into a weird psuedo-plane of pain where we believe this dark version resides. Others can provide more information on that.

I believe the information about the small mirrors were given to us by the Pure last spring. So take that information as you will.

Hmmm that is enlightening.

I believe the Flight is in posession of 4 of these mirrors from Mary the Pure. The one I have is a limited use reflect ability, fitting for a mirror.

Adlao has informed me that she has had deeper conversation with Mary and will enlighten us shortly. But We do feel it's best that those with mirrors gather early this market to understand our current situation. Do we know who else has recieved gifts from Mary the pure?

An unassuming rolled parchment scroll made from what appears to be woven cornhusks bound in braided grass. The courier says it came from an undisclosed location. Opening it releases a faint fragrance of ginger and cinnamon. Upon breaking the plain, unadorned beeswax seal, the following is penned in a flowing script:

Greetings friends,

I hope these words find you well!

I have been studying the mirror that Mary the Pure gifted to me, and I thought perhaps some references would help. I attempted to visit the great Guild Libraries in Arbor, but I did not have the correct credentials to gain access.

I did not let this deter my research, however. I made time between my chores and responsibilities at the village to sit and talk to the mirror, as if I was speaking with a friend. At first I simply called out to Mary, and asked if she could hear me, but then I began to talk about mundane things, like my day, how the village was coming along and how the children were growing. I wasn’t sure if anyone could hear me, but it became a daily habit of mine. One night, as I was folding laundry by hearth light, I heard a whisper coming from the mirror, calling my name; it was more hushed than weak. As I lifted the glass to gaze upon it, I saw Mary the Pure’s image faintly shimmering, as if she was looking up from below the serene surface a pool of still water.

I was elated to see my friend again, and asked her if all was well, but she responded to my dismay that she was still under duress. She did not have long to connect with me, but expressed great hope that those of Adventuring Spirit could aid her in her struggle against Her, who assumed was her dark twin. She bade me to gather the other Mirror Bearers together at a special place she confided to me, and that we together invoke her power by calling out an incantation she shared with me. More than this I do not dare share where evil eyes may pry, but I am certain that Mary the Pure’s Light has not faded, and that her wisdom will be a boon towards our success. I have not been visited by her since, but I have kept a candle lit by the mirror for her, as a sign of reassurance that help is on the way.

I ask that the other Bearers meet with me at next Market, so that together we can commune with the Pure Maiden and seek her council. I will be waiting for you with baked goods at the Table of the Phoenix Flight.

May the purity of our hearts outshine the malice of those bear ill-will.

Madrina Adlao, HM

Last edited:
House Mother Adlao,

While I commend your willingness to assist the downtrodden, do yo have any reason to believe they are what they say? If this entity is an extra planar creature, they are likely more than they appear and acting on motivations beyond our ken. In addition, if their essence is tied to mirrors, this suggest a duality or, at the least, a distortion of their true purpose. I expect it is no coincidence that the two "Mary" personas, Pure and Bloody, are opposing facets of the same face. It is possible they are one creature and by assisting one, you are aiding the other. Or, worse, they may be a shape shifter and can appear as they like to gain the confidence of their victims.

I have no evidence to believe you are being used by a creature from beyond the mortal plane who has ill intent, but I wonder what evidence you have to believe you are not.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Prademar University

Regrettably Dramthin and I have encountered extraplaner creatures who have obfuscated their appearance and use subterfuge to manipulate other to act on their behalf.
My past experience with magic mirrors has me avoid them at all cost.
My words of advise are not to withhold compassion yet, be cautious.

Lady FallingStar

Mirror accounting;

I am in possession of a Purple Glittery Mirror, it is spirit linked to me until I assist with something called

"The Ritual of Purification"

These small mirrors have been found and are in possession of several adventurers who spoke with MtW, and agreed to assist in said ritual.

-
Shen
<sent via mobile>

Goodman Shen,

What does the Ritual of Purification entail? Do you plan to complete this rite? If so, what, perhaps who, were you asked to gather and prepare?

Furthermore, you are a well-known ritualist and widely recognized as a shrewd and cautious individual; what are you impressionsof this apparition?

Dramthin Hartsboon
Prademar University

That I largely wouldn't discover more details until the time was right. MtW has been taking painstaking effort to keep information from BM. So I have a small object spirit linked to me which is a benign price to pay to ensure that I find out when the time is right and the magic the mirror holds until then.

-
shen

I hold a brown wooden mirror. I took one upon learning that Glen had received one and was being hunted because of it. I will not let my friends fight this creature alone.

Renshi Ignathis Nachtfeuer

Shen, Ignathis, and Glen,

I appreciate your motivation to protect your friends and the realm. Mary has stripped me of my wooden mirror as I am unable to attend the ritual at this time. I informed Mary of other members within my Guild she could give the focus to but at the moment am uncertain if she will be able to deliver it safely. I apologize that you may be one mirror short. I also apologize that I personally am not able to oversee my guild's involvement but I trust that those with mirrors, including Adlao, will prove to be valuable assets. They may be fresh to the world of adventuring but what they lack in experience they make up for in dedication.

Master Firebrand

Franz, I will see to it that your guild mates spirits remain unmarred by this creature.

Renshi Ignathis

Greetings friends,

I understand your concern, and appreciate your warning, which I will take to heart. In these moments of discernment, especially where duplicitousness may be involved, I find that when evidence falls short, one’s ideals must prevail. Surely the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior; in equal measures both Mary the Pure and her dark counterpart have both acted according to their self-ascribed characters, and have done so in their solicitations to those of our plane. With nothing more to go on, I wish to err on the side of Hope, for doing so is certainly a reflection of what I myself am devoted to, or at least aspire towards.

The axiom upon which I rest my case is this: that Darkness is but the absence of Light, and where The Light goes, the shadows scatter. Even if Mary is a creature of tragedy and deceit, I have faith that something beautiful and good lays dormant below the muck and mire- not only in her, but in all of us, and in every circumstance, and it is the illumination within that we bring to bear upon these situations that might make all the difference in tipping the scales. To quote a lullaby I sing to my youngling wards:

“Frozen in the snow lie roses sleeping; flowers that would echo the sunrise.”

I trust my safety and that of my compatriots to my elders, especially to Shen, Ignathis, and Glen, as my Guild Master has commanded me, and while prudence will guide my step, so too shall I be well armed, for Compassion is my staff and Hope, my shield. While we have a myriad of foes amidst the Outer Planes, I pray we gain not only a new ally, but a friend.

With meek deference,
Madrina Adlao, HM

Alright, we are but a night's sleep away from this market faire and I figured I'd finally state what's been mulling around within my mind.

This thing known as "Bloody Mary" is an entity that we do not entirely understand. With the veil between the spirits at its weakest this weekend, I would expect for Bloody Mary to be more emboldened to strike out at us. Information gathering is a must and the faster we retrieve it the better off we will be. I am glad to see that we have adventurers who have willing stepped up in efforts to protect not only themselves but others as well.

Bloody Mary knows my face. I stopped her from doing something when we were planes hopping about a year or so ago. I have been rather flighty in regards to the mirror that has been covered within the Flaming Skull for that reason. When she tried to "capture/take" me, it definitely felt like at that time, no matter my skills or resolve, I would not have been able to resist the effects she would have put upon me. Thank you again Aurynn for tackling me and breaking my gaze from hers.

I am highly suggesting that those of us with mirrors, please meet up at the start of the market gathering within the Tavern as Goodwoman Adlao made mention of earlier. Knowing each of the individuals that has a piece of the ritual will allow the town a better understanding of who to watch out for and to know when one of us goes missing. Also, I would suggest that everyone that has a mirror have both a mirror companion and a non mirror companion, that way those with mirrors are not lost/taken/rifted/stolen/whatever by themselves.

Hope is a wonderful idea to hold onto. Make sure that hope is backed by determination, courage and teamwork. We adventurers find success when we are all working together and not attempting to tackle something alone. Stay safe and I look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow eve.

~Glenn Stormwolf
Guardian of the First Tree

Has anyone talked to her? Maybes shes scared, sad and lonely and just needs something to listen to her. Im sure shes just bad at communicating.

Maiev

Back