Magical Channeling with Higher Manifestation?

jdackow

Adept
Hello All,

So as I read it, it does not seem that you can use Magical Channeling with Higher Manifestation. Higher Manifestation "may *not* be used in conjunction with a Focus"
and Magical Channeling the "Magic carrier instead of what their Focus would normally produce". Is this intentional?

ARB 2.0 Packet version 0.12a final (2/1/19)
Magical Channeling (2 High Magic points, Passive, Celestial only): A character with this High Magic may Channel a Celestial Channeling pool with the Magic carrier instead of what their Focus would normally produce. This choice is made for each individual packet thrown. Lasts until the next Logistics period.

Higher Manifestation (3 High Magic points per purchase, Passive): A character with this High Magic may Channel a specific Channeling element valid for their Channeling pool without using a Focus in that hand. Only elements appropriate to the High Magic school may be chosen; i.e. you need Earth High Magic points to use Higher Manifestation for an Earth channeling pool. This means that they may Channel while holding an object (such as a weapon or shield) in their off hand. The hand selected to use Higher Manifestation must be marked with a symbol at least 1" x 1" on the back of the hand or a glove worn on that hand. Costs 3 High Magic points; this may be purchased multiple times to allow for multiple elements. Higher Manifestation may *not* be used in conjunction with a Focus; if a Focus is used, only elements appropriate to that Focus may be manifested. While it lasts, this High Magic may be invoked every time the character Channels at the character’s choice. A character need not have any Focus on their person to Channel while using this ability.

It would work OK. The "what their Focus would normally produce" is replaced by Higher Manifestation's choice as the "focus".

Perhaps the "Higher Manifestation" needs added something like "The hand marked for Higher Manifestation functions as your Focus".

Perhaps the "Higher Manifestation" needs added something like "The hand marked for Higher Manifestation functions as your Focus".

Trust me when I say that the immediate question resulting from that change would be "so I can cast Focus-targeted Rituals on my hand then, right?" :)

Trust me when I say that the immediate question resulting from that change would be "so I can cast Focus-targeted Rituals on my hand then, right?" :)

Honestly, having read through the rituals that can target a channeling focus, I think they should be castable on a hand affected by Higher Manifestation. It would have the problem that if the "higher manifestation" ever ended, it would mean the hand would cease being a valid target for the ritual.

"Enhance Focus" ritual, spellcrafted, would likely be a nice and logical combo with Higher Manifestation.

I had the thought of using magical claws ritual + focus specific rituals + Higher Manifestation last night and it sounded a pretty rad benefit for an expensive setup, but can understand why it wouldn't be desirable.

Perhaps just adding the line to Higher Manifestation and the vices versa on Magical Channeling stating "Higher Manifestation can be used in conjunction with Magical Channeling". Similarly to how Magic Evocation Ritual states " This may be used on Evocation Bolts manifested via the Flexible Casting skill."

Can we get a flow chart on what works with what? :D

Back