Magnets along core?

Ratking

New to LARP here, and I had an interesting idea after sparring with a few folks and their weapons. attach small neodymium magnets along the spine of an outfit, and along the staff of a hammer or the core of a large sword to seamlessly and easily carry it on one's back.

So, I've got a few questions about this:
1: Would this be legal? (The magnets weigh .08 oz each, and are around the size of a penny. )
2: Would I need to "enchant" the weapon for this to be acceptable in play? (I can imagine PC and NPC alike staring in bewilderment at a weapon attached to someone's back if such enchantments are previously unknown)
3: Would this be recommended at all in the first place?

[edit] :: Link to the magnets in question http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DA1

I know someone once had velcro on their weapon and on their back for the same effect. The softer side of the velcro was on the weapon.

Neat idea, though I'm not certain that it would hold up to rigorous extended play. Simply put, too many branches and such tend to knock things off.

Ratking said:
1: Would this be legal? (The magnets weigh .08 oz each, and are around the size of a penny. )
The magnets would need to either be within the core of the weapon, or on the crossguard/grip. My concern is that no striking surface should have unpadded pieces (penny-sized or no).

2: Would I need to "enchant" the weapon for this to be acceptable in play? (I can imagine PC and NPC alike staring in bewilderment at a weapon attached to someone's back if such enchantments are previously unknown)
I would encourage that it only be used with Spirit-linked weapons, but I suppose it could be allowable.

3: Would this be recommended at all in the first place?
As I said, I'm not certain that it would hold up.

I think I have seen this done before. Toddy, who plays Ithica, I think had a set up like that for a while. As far as I could tell it worked ok.

If the pull force of a single disk magnet is really 23.87 lb as advertised, the I think it would hold just fine as long as the magnets are not behind too much insulation.

--bill

Well, the larger ones have twice the pull force, and could easily be placed in the core(or against the core under the padding). I'm still just working the theoretical of this, and making sure that I wouldn't have to shred a 2h sword or BW for the sake of rules.

dreadpiratebill said:
If the pull force of a single disk magnet is really 23.87 lb as advertised,
Keep in mind that it's really easy to come up with 24 lbs of force at the end of a lever arm (like a sword). You're probably also as likely to slide it off as to push it off, in practice.
I have thought about doing this, though. If you get it to work, let us know.

You could probubly put it in the crossguard or handle with no problems. But it could come ajar if you had to run or even brush up against a bush or something. Especially if it's a long sword. If the handle is long enough I would put like 2 or 3 seperate magnets along the handle for 3 points of contact to what it is holding (i.e. a belt or harness). What about using those flexable fridge magnets in the handle or is that too little to handle a sword?

B~>

obcidian_bandit said:
dreadpiratebill said:
If the pull force of a single disk magnet is really 23.87 lb as advertised,
Keep in mind that it's really easy to come up with 24 lbs of force at the end of a lever arm (like a sword). You're probably also as likely to slide it off as to push it off, in practice.
I have thought about doing this, though. If you get it to work, let us know.

(points at me) Biomedical Engineer. Yeah I did realise that, but given one is roughly the dimentions of a penny, I was figuring that the whole surface area of a flat cross guard could be magnitized by using a bunch of them. Proper positionaing on the body such as across back can lessesn the likly hood of a forces hitting the sword 90 degrees relive to the atraction of the magnets. Forces not alined relitive would be more likly to spin the sword about its axis( anchor point) tho weather it gets knocked of from there is anyones guess.

Granted shear forces and sliding off is another ball of wax expesialy scince we are talking magnets, which involes lorentz's equations instead of the basic equations for friction, and liner shear stress and I am not as versed in them as I would like because magnets are cool.

Long tangent aside, your probly right about 1 magnet, but I bet its totaly doable. the hard part is getting the weapon to pass.
--bill

(points at me) Physics Undergrad. We really shouldn't play "Who knows more about magnets." It'll make for boring forum chatter. :p
Long story short, putting it across your back would probably be the best way to go. I was thinking of putting it on a scabbard-like location, but you'll have more potential to lose it there. On the back, you'll hit it on fewer things, though it might be harder to stow. One of my PCs keeps his weapons on his back, and it takes a few hours for me to acclimate to knowing where the scabbard spot is so I can sheath swords on the first try. With strong magnets, I'm sure you could feel it better, since you'll be drawn to it. Last time I considered making something like this I ended up in a "Do I spend millions developing a pen that writes in zero-g, or do I use a pencil" situation and just build a decent leather scabbard. If you get it to work in such a way that the magnets stay under stress but still allow you to draw the weapon without ripping the magnets out of the construction, let me know.

~Matt, WCV

A co-worker of mine has a few magnets similar to these on his white board. The only way to get them off is to either use another magnet or slide a knife or razor under it and pry it off.

Regardless, the magnet does not seem to have a very large field. So if you have any layers between the magnets you will be severely reducing its strength to hold your sword.

Edit: I want to point at myself too! (points at me) Mechanical Engineer. :D

Edit2: There are a couple different types of velcro that can be looked into for this type of application. I'll see what I can find.

YEY SCIENCE PEOPLES!!!!

But this is unfortuantly a "zero g pen versus pencil" sistuation where the magnets are the pen, and velcro is the pencil.

Magnets are still cool tho.

--bill

Yeah how come none of you smart sciency folks thought of that? Jeez someone has to make sense for all of you. (points at self Business Undergrad. :D

Just kidding guys.... though Obscidiant Bandit... I may be comming your way in January for game... any chance I could pay you to fashion me a leather scabard or backstrap or the like? I'd like some way to stow a longsword ( cuz my belt just doesnt cut it) and a smaller bow.

Thanks,

Paul

Sure, remind me closer to the game and I'll brew one up for you. Right now your options are 'green or black' and 'right handed or left handed.'
~Matt

I just want to point out that we have designed pens that will work in zero g... :D

Dreamingfurther said:
I just want to point out that we have designed pens that will work in zero g... :D
Yes, that was the point of the comment. Rather then use a pencil in space (as the Russians did) we spent an absurd amount of time and money developing a pen that would write in space. I was using an allusion to draw a parallel to the fact that time and money would be spent to make a magnet sword stick to your back, but the simpler option is a regular scabbard, and achieves the same basic goal.

Back