Magnets along core?

But you can still do it! ;)

I was making fun of the whole thing too. I think its hilarious that we made a Pen that works in space... Its sort of like insisting on using daggers... :D

Although it would be cheaper and easier to make a scabbard I think in the long run it would be easier and quicker to draw a weapon with magnets on it. It would just take a simple tug in any direction and it comes loose (problems with bush snags understandably inherent). Whereas with a scabbard it might catch the sword if you draw it too hastily or even if you are in a confined space where drawing your sword from a scabbard is difficult if not impossible. What if one arm is withered and you can only draw a long sword with the one hand you have available. It would be difficult at best to get the weapon out and ready to use with a scabbard. With magnets again would just need a tug and it's free.

Not to say any of these things are likely to happen just that they can happen.

B~>

obcidian_bandit said:
Dreamingfurther said:
I just want to point out that we have designed pens that will work in zero g... :D
Yes, that was the point of the comment. Rather then use a pencil in space (as the Russians did) we spent an absurd amount of time and money developing a pen that would write in space.

Not to be a wet blanket, but... http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

(Pencils can actually be a bad idea in space, because the tip can break and then you have graphite floating around.)

I now return us to our regularly scheduled magnets. :)

I could see these being put into the grip of a weapon, which isn't padded to begin with. Of course, if you're wearing metal armor they'll stick just about anywhere...

Back