Magnus Varov Neutralized And Steps Moving Forward

Well.....I wasn't expecting to announce something like this as early as I am but here we are.

As of Saturday evening, April 20, Magus Varov has been arrested for his crimes against Garavia and is in the custody of Count Tanno. His vampirism is removed and the band of chaos is now in the hands of the adventurers.

During our time in Sha Langre, he decided to make a move, attempting to take the Old Magic from the creatures attacking the Anchor Spike. He enslaved a member of the community, attempted to turn fellow adventurers against each other with lies, and attacked adventurers who picked up Old Magic. And then he swore to me to murder my family and me if his wife and daughter died before rewriting the world with Old Magic. This went against every conversation and any deal that I had with him and showed that despite my hardest attempts, Mangus Varov was no longer able to maintain his morality and he was truly lost.

Once we had finished with Sha Langre, a group and I rushed to Celeste and Anya to take them away somewhere safe. Magnus shortly followed but we were able to escape in time without him knowing where we went. Celeste and Anya were moved to Sha Langre where they will now reside for the foreseeable future. When we returned to Atupal, Magnus was waiting. He did not fight us. He wanted proof of the safety of his wife and daughter. I refused due to his breaking of trust, which he understood. He then said that he would take a statement from someone under his enslavement as proof that we had gotten Anya and Celeste to a place where they were safe, happy, and would not die from their disease. Guardian Glenn Stormwolf offered to be that person and answered honestly. With this statement, Mangus decided that our original deal was complete. His wife and daughter were safe and he no longer needed his power. He removed his band and commanded all the undead to split into two groups. Those without spirits were to lay on their bellies and wait for destruction while those with spirits that could be saved gather to places where they can be rounded up and cured. He then, willingly, allowed us to cast a Gift of Life on him and formally arrested him.

Tanno and Tilbane have both been informed. As we speak, the two are starting to coordinate various efforts. I will stress that this is not the end of Passwall’s plights. We know that being like the Baykoks were never under Mangus’s command and with him gone, who knows if the other undead will start to fall under the command of the Prisoner. The Blood Mist and those that are trapped behind it are still something we need to work on. We need to act now and quickly before we start losing this advantage we have been given.

I am sure that Tanno and Tilbane will be announcing their formal requests for aid, but I would like to offer my suggestions to those who are willing to help.

1. A lot of spiritless undead are lying helpless, ready to be destroyed. These undead were just constructs of the Old Magic. They were never people. We will need people to start clearing them out. Tanno will likely be heading this effort.
  2. There will also be a lot of undead that were people that need to be transformed back into people using Gift of Life. I believe Tilbane will be likely heading this effort and could use people with ritual-casting capabilities to aid him with this.
  3. Legal aid. As we clear more undead, more land will be opening up. There will be a lot of people who escaped and/or are being resurrected who are going to be hoping to return to their family's homes and I see a lot of people using this opportunity to grab land and claim it was abandoned. The courts are bound to be overrun with requests for decisions on such cases and might benefit from aid for those who are more law savvy.
  4. Humanitarian efforts. Passwall is going to see a large flood of people who lost everything in the undead invasion. Help with rebuilding the land and reestablishing society in the areas we clear is going to require a lot of work. I do not doubt in my mind that Bancroft is going to use this opportunity to dig her claws into Passwall. We need to try and quickly counter her efforts so that we don’t give her that chance.

If you can think of anything else, I am happy to hear it. I am likely going to be stuck in legal paperwork chaos for a long time. We did just turn in the most wanted man in Gavaria. I won’t be able to make it to the next time the adventurers return to Gavaria but I will keep everyone updated with my actions.

Thank you all for being there for me when I need it. To the future of Passwall.

Cupbearer Lorelei Beinae-Stormwolf

Last edited:
Cupbearer,

I will move what resources I can to head off Bancroft. I of course haven't the means of an entire County but perhaps with the help of the Feag my cooperative can provide a head start of foodstuffs and spur the restoration of Passwall's farmland. If I can get my hoof in the door first I can only hope it lessens Bancroft's opportunities.

I'll be looking to talk with whoever will be untangling landholdings. I don't wish to get in the middle of any disputes, though I think we can all agree getting crops started first and deciding who owns what later maybe just the way it is. Planting season is upon us after all.

-Rook

Last edited:
Cupbearer Beinae-Stormwolf,

My services as an administrator and barrister in Rosen with ties to the Crown are at your and your lord's service.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Tomebearer, Vicomte Rosen
Keeper of the Tainted Grove

Back