Make archery better?

Gudetama

Asked elsewhere and directed to ask my local marshals

I've never been able to packet toss with a bow phys-rep in hand worth beans.

Any reason nerf bows couldn't be used? Or larp safe arrows?

Unfortunately, Alliance only allows for packet based arrows (same design as spell packets). Same with Bows, they need to meet certain requirements which nerf bows wouldn't belong to.

My best advice is to make a bunch of packets and throw them at different lengths and speeds until you feel confident. Practice makes perfect. I know people that couldn't hit a target 2 feet away but once they learned how to position themselves they learned fast.

As Draven mentioned in the Marshal Forum, you can always reach out to an owner to discuss potential rules changes to bring up with improving the archery system.

I don't think many people start out good when it comes to throwing packets. It's just something you get better at with time and practice.

Yeah. I found it helped to just whip up a few packets and set up a 5 gallon bucket with a cardboard backboard across the room from my desk chair. Get in the habit of hucking a few packets across the room whenver you get bored and you get more accurate fairly quickly.

I'm from another chapter but have done a lot of work/looking into the idea of having an alternative/more realistic archery system in Alliance. One of the major issues with it (outside of safety concerns) is simply the damage output of arrows. We play in a game where it can require literally a hundred hits to take down a single opponent. For most people, it can take anywhere from 5-10 seconds to retrieve an arrow from a quiver, nock, draw, aim and then fire. Meanwhile, a person can pull a packet from their knuckles holding the bow, touch the packet to the bow then their cheek and throw the packet in under 2 seconds. In addition, one can carry 40 arrows by toting around two 4" cubes (and the bag that holds the packets) Whereas it's lucky if they can carry 10 IDV larp arrows in a sheath that is 6" wide and the length of their leg. Basically, packet archery is a really good fit for the Alliance rules.

Now that isn't to say that nerf bows or larp arrows couldn't work. The first hurdle would be to overcome the caution that people have around such projectiles flying freely in a game (not an easy play as I remember the trouble it was to get latex style weapons approved). The next would be to implement a new set of rules for these weapons when it comes to damage output as there would need to be something to offset the number of arrows you can send downrange vs the number of packets.

I'd have safety concerns, not so much from flying arrows because those are pretty easy to see, but because of the hazard they represent once spent. Most of the games I know of that use arrow archery are battle-games that generally occur on relatively flat, empty fields in good lighting. We fight in the woods, on the rocks, and occasionally in a swamp, in all hours and weather. A bunch of arrows lying around as a trip hazard, or something possibly sharp to land on when doing the dead body flop is a safety concern that needs real consideration and planning before implementing this kind of change.

God knows I've fallen down on enough terrible surfaces, I'd hate to see someone fall backwards onto an arrow that got stuck knock-first in the ground, no matter how well padded the tip was intended to be.

I play in several games that use real bow and arrow archery. I’ve never had the problem of tripping over arrows, or have even found them dangerous in any way. Larp arrows are designed to be flexible enough to bend when you step on them. We can point out ways that larp archery could be unsafe all day, just as we could point out the ways boffer weapons are unsafe all day. With the right rules in place it is safe and simple enough that I feel it would really up the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My opinion on the topic is this: while having a system for the handling and usage of LARP arrows would be really, really cool, it likely would not work for a few reasons.
1. LARP arrows are expensive, not everyone can afford to buy them as it would be costly to switch a character from packets to LARP arrows. This would also discourage people from playing ranged characters.
2. Retrieving arrows in the middle of a battle would be much more of a hassle than just picking up packets off the ground.
3. There isn’t room for two systems; in order to make the switch to a LARP arrow system, rules for damage would have to be different for the arrows in order to compensate for the decreased number a person can carry as well as the increased amount of time it takes to fire them. It would be confusing, especially to new players, to maintain both systems (Not to mention that arrows would likely have to deal more damage in order to compensate, which may seem unfair to players that choose to remain packet-users). The only option would be to remove the packet system, which is not a good idea for the previously listed reasons.
In a perfect world, I think we’d be able to use the LARP arrow system. It would really add to the experience of playing a ranged character. However, it would decrease both the effectiveness and frequency of ranged users, be far too costly to use exclusively, and be far too confusing (and potentially unfair) to implement (exclusively or otherwise). Those are just my (somewhat convoluted and parenthetical-filled) thoughts on the topic, though.

I agree with many of the people that say LARP arrows are safe. I've played with them for years, and no real safety issues that are worse than a packet to the eye. They are very safe now. The big issue like Lurin said is damage output. It's hard to output enough arrows to keep up with packet throwing.

We tried to order one of these in to test them, but I don't think it ever arrived - http://www.b3is.com/shop/Deluxe-Padded-B3-Packet-Bow-p81978175

Mike

I agree with many of the people that say LARP arrows are safe. I've played with them for years, and no real safety issues that are worse than a packet to the eye. They are very safe now. The big issue like Lurin said is damage output. It's hard to output enough arrows to keep up with packet throwing.

We tried to order one of these in to test them, but I don't think it ever arrived - http://www.b3is.com/shop/Deluxe-Padded-B3-Packet-Bow-p81978175

Mike

I would in no way want to face that thing on our field. Mechanical advantage in a system that has no safety gear requirements and does not fight on a clear, well light battlefield is a problem.

I would in no way want to face that thing on our field. Mechanical advantage in a system that has no safety gear requirements and does not fight on a clear, well light battlefield is a problem.

Right its hard enough to dodge packets at night as it is

I'm less worried about dodging and more about taking a packet to the eye with enough force to do some damage. Especially if someone 'forgets' and uses seed with thistle or sunflower in it.

Back