Make-up

Pyro727

Scholar
Greetings again all. I shop online lot so I'm not scare of the online shopping exp. I'm looking for places to get elf ears, horns, face paint, etc. Oh and what is some differences in "types" of make-up? I'm also looking for some techniques in putting on said make-up. I'm NEW to larp in general so any help would be great.

There's another post right around here about horns and ears, so I'll address the makeup thing.

There are a number of different types. Depending on what you're using it for some kinds are better suited than others. With ANY type of makeup, test it on yourself before coming to game to make sure you're not allergic. It's also a good idea to practice putting it on to see how much time you really need to do a good job of it.

If you are going for a race that requires full face makeup (sarr, dark elf, stone elf, orc, ogre, scavenger), your best bet is either pancake or liquid makeup. In either case I personally recommend Mehron brand. (http://www.mehron.com) Mehron makes two styles of pancake that our players commonly use: Starblend and Paradise. Paradise washes off very easily, so if you are doing a lot of makeup changes (like NPCing) it is probably your best bet. It also works well as a PC - provided you do not sweat a lot. Since it washes off with just water, sweat will remove it too. All you need for either of these are a damp makeup sponge and the cake. You can use a paintbrush for details. This is what I use for my orc.

Liquid makeup is another option. Mehron makes liquid, and I know there's at least one other company out there that does a good job of the liquid but I can't recall the name right now. You can apply it with a sponge, or invest in an airbrush, which will give you a good, even coat of makeup quickly.

Some people also use creme makeup. There are different grades of this like anything else. The halloween-grade stuff from Party City works ok, but not so much for full faces. If you're playing a race that uses warpaint - like a wild elf or barbarian, this can usually work fine for you. Apply these designs with a q-tip or paintbrush. Mehron also makes a higher-grade creme makeup, which I use when playing my sarr. It can be used for your full face, or to add details around a prosthetic.

Do NOT use grease makeup. Some places sell it as "clown makeup." It smears and looks shiny and awful, and does not allow your skin to breathe. This might be ok for streaks of warpaint, but do NOT do your entire face in this stuff.

Other stuff:

Certain colors have a tendency of staining skin. That's what barrier spray is for. It's not required, but it serves two purposes: a base layer will keep you from having that colored tinge to your skin long after you've removed the makeup, and a topcoat of it over the makeup will prevent smudging. Some people also use setting powder for the top layer. It serves the same purpose as a topcoat, but can't be used as a base.

You can get makeup sponges at most larger chain drug stores, and some of these also carry brushes for doing some of the finer details. Eyeshadow sponge applicators also work well for detail work.

Hope this helps

-Michelle

My thanks Michelle. This is an repost from the old broads in the chicago chapter. I do have my ears and horns was told about a good site http://www.aradanicostumes.com/ . So with a barrier spray I'd not need a setting powder?

I've actually never tried using both. I've only ever used one or the other and had fine results.

A before and after spraying of barrier spray should do you fine...

Here;s another site with some good ears. I use the Elf ears for my stone elf but I cut a little of the bottom of the ear to make the transition to my ear a little more smooth.

Maskworld

barrier spray is also a good thing if you have or are developing a latex allergy. A quick shot before putting my ears on saves me a world of discomfort and cuts down on the allergy pills i have to take.

Mieka

Personally, I use the Mehron Charred Ash Specialty Powder for make-up. The setting powder does a good job of smoothing everything out, and the barrier spray seals it. With this combination, I really don't have to do much (If any, most of the time) touch-up throughout a full weekend and it doesn't feel like there's any make up even on.

Ears-wise, most people I've run into use the Woochie ears (Large and Small alike). Horns I've seen a huge variety, ranging from store-bought hollow latex to custom-built resin.

Most costume shops (In general, out here at least) have the Woochie ears and some form of horns, though some looking around on different websites (I've got a few different local costume shops I can order direct from, so I don't really have any good links..) can offer a variety of results as well.

For liquid make-up:

Anyone playing a make-up intensive race should definitely invest an airbrush. The basic TESTORS brand airbrush can be found with the model cars in the Walmart toy department for about $20. The speed and ease of application is amazing and most of the time I can get the majority of the make-up off with just water. I've used the Mehron liquid with success and also Aqua by Kryolan (recommended by Scott K).

Kryolan! That's the other brand I couldn't remember. Thanks for posting that Mike.

Ezri said:
Kryolan! That's the other brand I couldn't remember. Thanks for posting that Mike.

They make the Aqua brand that I listed which works great with the airbrush. I think they've actually made a new line of make-up specifically for airbrush use. I'll check it out and see if I can find where I read that.

i've always been interested in making an alt that was make-up heavy but i like to run and be very active in the game which causes me to sweat alot and i worry about the make-up then. anyone know if a way to get your skin colored but still sweat and not have the make-up run?

I got the first part of my make-up today will hopefully have all of it soon. Picz to follow. :oops:

Robb Graves said:
i've always been interested in making an alt that was make-up heavy but i like to run and be very active in the game which causes me to sweat alot and i worry about the make-up then. anyone know if a way to get your skin colored but still sweat and not have the make-up run?

I get the impression the air brush style is the way to go there. I know Gormegil runs like a maniac and rarely gets the pinks (and I think his is done that way, though I could very well be wrong). You might also want to ask the Benders... Thruggyar and Air Raksa seem to keep theirs on really well.

Robb Graves said:

Powders are the way to go. Since they aren't liquid when they go on, they can't come off as liquids. I use the Charred Ash powder in game 95% of the time and the only thing I have to generally touch up is around the neck-line, and that's because of shirt v. skin contact.

Pyro727 said:
I got the first part of my make-up today will hopefully have all of it soon. Picz to follow. :oops:

Tatianna and I did the first test run of my make-up I'll have to pics posted as soon as I find a img hosting site that works.

Boring old me

I figured being clean shaven would be EZer

Applied ears (unpainted) and base coat.

Lips stick and eyeliner (which Tatianna put on me, and she says I was a big baby about it cuz I'm not used to having stuff touch my lashes so I kept closing my eyes :oops: )

Mascara (which again Tatianna put on me, and again said I was a baby); tried to apply eye shadow but would not go on due to pancake makeup base (going to try to not apply base to eyes next time). Was successful in using eye shadow as an anti-blush. This was my first attempt at doing my eyebrows with liquid make up--not a success in my book.

I let my hair down, and here is the finished result.

On my next attempt I am going to try to apply the latex mask make up to my ears after I've had my hair cut and dyed. If anyone has ever tried using latex mask make up, I would appreciate some tips.

*edit: P.S. I'm open to comments, and would love to hear what others think. I'd also like to thank Ren & Wraith for all their help, and all who posted info and ideas.

Make-up looks good. Try painting the outer ends of your eyebrows to go up instead of down to really capture the look. They're a bit light in my icon but you can see there what I'm talking about.

Back