Making a 3 pt helm...

Davion

Scholar
Colorado Staff
So, I want to keep my costume uniform, but I also need to get a 3 pt helm. The rest of my costume is leather and hidden steel. So ideally, I'd make a leather helm, too. But I don't really have a good idea of how to put metal in there. Fender washers and rivets just doesn't seem comfortable. Chainmail doesn't seem practical. What would you do in this circumstance?

Davion said:
So, I want to keep my costume uniform, but I also need to get a 3 pt helm. The rest of my costume is leather and hidden steel. So ideally, I'd make a leather helm, too. But I don't really have a good idea of how to put metal in there. Fender washers and rivets just doesn't seem comfortable. Chainmail doesn't seem practical. What would you do in this circumstance?

Plates.

either plates or studs

I'd probably go with a Norman helm:

norman-helm-8122.jpg

Cover the main bowl with leather, but leave the noseguard and browridge exposed (maybe blacken it?). Then add a cloth or leather neck guard attachment with sewn-in plates.

Or build a leather Norman, rivet-and-washer stud it, then line it with something quilted so they don't dig into your head.

Start with a metal circlet and rivet on two pieces of metal that overlap to make a dome over the circlet. Make sure you leave enough room on the inside to put a padding down for our head to still fit in. Using triangle pieces all sew togather at top point you can cover the helm and attach to metal frame with rivets. Using glue put in the foam bits so your head does not get all cut up. For extra stuff to make helm cooler You can add a chainmil skirt to the back that fals down on your neck. And some cut lether that you harden you can add a wing to the back that will attach to the back wrapping from ear to ear that will be about 2 to 3 inches from bottom of helm. Gives it more dimension and keeps your neck shaded. OH YEAH!.

Since the "Head" area is from the "the area from the back of the neck to the forehead" (ARB pg. 79) and you only need 50%+1, you could probably get full bonus points using a thick metal diadem/headband adorned with some metal bangles. Heck, a steel crown would prolly give ya full points.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. There's definitely some good insight here. Tolgar, I wish I felt comfortable doing some metal working, but my attempt at bracers fell horribly short and I spent too much money on materials and tools that didn't pan out :(

Back