Making the tavern cool

I've been playing the tavernkeeper lately not because I love doing it, but because I think it adds so much to the game to have the tavern staffed. However, I have other characters to play from time to time and I also tend to sleep too, so there are times the tavern is unattended.

Anyway, given how many NPCs we appear to have for the next event, I am hoping that perhaps 2 or 3 of them will agree to work the tavern some part of the event so we can keep it staffed all weekend long.

In the old days, back when we had 150 players an event, the PCs ran the tavern, because we always had enough newbies willing to work there for the tips and the silver. It doesn't look like we're ever going to go back to that again, and I appreciate all those PCs who have assisted from time to time when I wasn't there by washing cups and so on.

Anyway, I was up at the site yesterday and did a quick inventory and we could use donations to make the tavern work well. Specifically, if you can provide any of the following, please post here in this thread:

Kool aid
Lemonade mix
A variety of herbal teas
Sugar (preferably in a rodent-proof container)
Cream (for coffee)
Snacks for the tavern (pretzels, crackers, etc -- we have enough popcorn)
Ramen noodles (don't forget to get some vegetarian ones too)
Oatmeal mix
Hot chocolate mix
Hot cider mix
Hard boiled eggs

One weekend we had people donate a whole bunch of colas and we were able to provide that as well, but we don't want to do that unless we get a LOT. You don't want to provide something like that and have it gone in a few minutes.

Also:
Medieval looking flagons and cups
The fake candles, preferably the ones that you can recharge during the day instead of the ones that need batteries

I want to provide wines and beers and other similar IG drinks as well, but really need help with the design of the labels; we'll also need grape juice and other drinks we can put in the bottles.

Note: This is just for the running of the tavern, NOT for the meals.

I have a crap-load of herbal teas! I will gladly donate them for the good of the tavern! Should I just bring them along with me to the opener?

EDIT: Looking through my cupboard, I also found some hot chocolate and cider packets, so I'll bring those too.

As far as working the tavern, if I PC, Deg will gladly help out (for a fee of course ;D ) or if I'm NPCing I'll help out without any ingame compensation.

I'll dig up some cash and bring a variety of kool aid flavors, probably whatever $20 buys.

Um, I think the title should be "Making the tavern cooler." It is already cool.

:thumbsup:

Scott

Duke Frost said:
Um, I think the title should be "Making the tavern cooler." It is already cool.

:thumbsup:

Scott

My first thought when I caught the topic was, "yea some times it can be hot in there, wonder how they are going to make it cool". LoL

LOL I though this was a topic to make the Tavern cool too as in less hot. The best way to make the tavern "cool" is to have a tavern keeper I can talk to about rumors and I can make some "deals" with. You know slip a few coppers and he tells me some info that may be helpful, slip him some silvers and I get even better info, slip him a gold.......who knows.

Ooo, I had an idea to make the tavern cool! I posted my own thread about it... I'm a huge fan of random tavern music and jam sessions! If you are a musician, please check out my other post! :) If you have a specific talent and want me to write music for you, let me know!! But I'm also game for just random musicians playing random things, not reading any written music, and just jamming together!

Octaine said:
LOL I though this was a topic to make the Tavern cool too as in less hot. The best way to make the tavern "cool" is to have a tavern keeper I can talk to about rumors and I can make some "deals" with. You know slip a few coppers and he tells me some info that may be helpful, slip him some silvers and I get even better info, slip him a gold.......who knows.

And have you tried that with the current tavernkeeper? ;)

Mike Ventrella said:
Octaine said:
slip him a gold.......who knows.

Is anybody else hearing what this sounds like?

XD

Hey, if there's drink to be served and a brew to be had, you can count ol' Monty the dwarf in for assistance!

Also, hi to everyone who remembers me. I couldn't remember my old forum account for the life of me, so I up and made an updated one. I'll post around I guess, see who's up for some sweet accordioneering and strumstick jamming with me.

But yeah, I'd be all for tavern duties while PCing. I'll make a list of things to bring to the opener, sounds like we're gonna need a big inventory to host everyone. I'll definitely get snacks and light foodstuffs for the masses, as well as drink mixes and juice. I figure mixing juice and water will help make it last and also cut down on people chugging too much sugary stuff. I can also bring some fancier bubbly juices and a small selection of sodas for your IG beverages and sort of exotic flavors. I'll see about making some custom labeling for them as well.

I'm open to suggestions/requests for eatables; within reason, of course. Looking forward to seeing everyone at the opener!

-Jake Miller

Mike Ventrella said:
Octaine said:

I try that with Sir Eros all the time :funny:

The taverns fantastic in my opinion. Id like to see more things to make the town feel like.. a town. Maybe some merchant stalls and npc or pc in game merchants.

I have no problem running tavern. Lanna will be more than willing to. And as for opener as long as Mike says I can I will come out from time to time as a tavern keep. As far as donations go ill see what i can scrounge up.

Angel

Lanna Rose said:
I have no problem running tavern. Lanna will be more than willing to. And as for opener as long as Mike says I can I will come out from time to time as a tavern keep. As far as donations go ill see what i can scrounge up.

Angel

Angel is awesome. But, as much as possible, I am going to try to keep Angel busy this weekend, so if anyone else is willing to volunteer to help out, I recommend it.

-MS

Can also help out some with the tavern taking orders and working the bar since will be in the tavern most of the weekend anyways

Unfortunately, I just got assigned to a huge case that will take weeks, literally. Our event is right in the middle of that. Depending on how the trial goes, I might have to skip the event to spend the weekend working...so all the great fishbowls I wrote for the tavern and the other things I had planned might have to wait.

Can no one else help run those Mike?

Dreamingfurther said:
Can no one else help run those Mike?

I'm re-reading them now. Maybe half of them could be run without Mike V. present, but the other half use recurring NPCs that Mike plays.

-MS

Back