Male Gypsy Name

I'm currently writing the backstory for a new character who is a gypsy. I've got it mostly worked out, but I think his father should have a name. I just can't think of one that seems to fit. His father is supposed to be a hunter (part of the Valde Venator in Gaden). It doesn't really matter what the name is but it should sound gypsy-ish. Help a guy out?

There are sites you can go to that will have actual Romani names one can use. Also, eastern European names are used at times. I will see if can find the sites with Rom names and post them. If not they can be googled. You can also use a name/word from any culture and have it work.

Kevin
aka Dmitri Abdoujhaparov

A trick I do when searching for a name is that I simply google "Other Languages for X" with X being a word that describes my character. For example, when done for "Hunter" I came up with the following on one website (Yahoo answers):

Dutch: Jager
Turkish: Avcı
German: Jäger
Portuguese: Caçador
Amharic/Ethiopic: Addagn (with english alphabet)
Russian: ochotnik/eger' (with english alphabet)
Lithuanian: medžiotojas
Polish: Myśliwy
Hungarian: vadasz
spanish cazador

Or you can just choose a language you like and search some different words on an online dictionary. I found the name for a Feudal Japan LARP ruleset that way by looking up the word "Ghost" and came up with Kaiden - which is Japanese for "Ghost Story"

Granted, having an actual Romani word/name could be interesting but as gypsies are 'loosely based' upon it, there's nothing saying you can't have another OOG language as the name.

Personally, my Gypsy is Russian-language based, so I just went digging through my Russian flash cards until I found something that sounded cool, then modified it a touch. :) For the names of her family, I went digging through a Russian Names database, like on http://www.babynameworld.com/ until I found names I could A) remember and B) live with. Happy searching and I hope you find an epic name. :)

+1 to Markus.
When I was coming up with my gypsy's name, I took the name 'Eliza' (which means 'Pride' auf Deutsch) and then gave it a gyspyish spelling 'Elyizah.'

If you use another language for your name, it can be fun to work it into your backstory.

Most all the sites that are listed here are solid for name finding no matter the language. Also I am a big fan of come up with a meaning for the name and go from there or simply jazz up an existing name you like following rules from an appopriate language /grammar.

A friend of mine plays my sister in game so we both have a name that means purity in romanian, although I changed the spelling of mine to match how its pronounced, and since we are both religious OOG, IG our characters last name is that of christian roma.

Hence
Catalina and Kitaruen Kopanari

Kitaruen said:
Most all the sites that are listed here are solid for name finding no matter the language. Also I am a big fan of come up with a meaning for the name and go from there or simply jazz up an existing name you like following rules from an appopriate language /grammar.

A friend of mine plays my sister in game so we both have a name that means purity in romanian, although I changed the spelling of mine to match how its pronounced, and since we are both religious OOG-IG our characters last name is that of christian roma.

Hence
Catalina and Kitaruen Kopanari

Religious IG? I'm intrigued.

-MS

I believe he meant to type it:
since we are both religious OOG, IG, our characters' last name is that of christian roma.
"The greater part of the world's troubles are due to questions of grammar” - Michel de Montaigne

-Luke

my poor grammar strikes again...
we all know there is no religion in alliance, unfortunately I personally think it would enrich the game greatly but was raised and still sort of am a ultra conservative right wing christian thus can see major issues that would arise. Thus our gypsys have the only religion allowed them. Song, dance, and laugh...vut iz not zo vad,

who needs religion when you've got culture?

Don't forget to check your local race packet... it may have suggestions directly to names, or a language/culture to draw from.

Back