Materials! Where to get them, how to use them.

Davion

Scholar
Colorado Staff
I have found it time-consuming to track down different materials for making all of the LRP related items an enthusiast might desire. So I have decided to make a list here of what I have been able to find, how to shop for them and how to use the material. Please contribute so that we can compile a more complete list.

Armor
Leather -
Tandy Leather When shopping for leather, I recommend checking Tandy's flier regularly for deals. Usually the best deals are "single shoulder splits" which can be up to 8 sqft. I have seen them for $15 to $18 on sale. The actual leather is scrap for the premier leather crafter - but you're going to be beating this leather with a stick anyways. Think of the scars on the leather as battle scars!

Metal -
Your local hardware store - The cheapest option is buying electrical gang box covers. They meet the 18 gauge, 3 point armor requirement and at Menards I found them for $.43 each. Each one covers a 4"x4" area. The URL is provided for you as an example of what to look for.

Your local hardware store - You may want to use a nicer metal like Stainless Steel or Nickel. The cheapest option I found was a kickplate for $13 at Menards. Kickplates are near the door handles and locks since they are installed on a door. Another possible option is that every hardware store has a section for welding patches. Usually you can find steel, copper and bronze.

E-Bay - Ebay is a good stop to find exotic metals like copper or larger sheets at a good price. I have found 4'x4' bronze sheets for around $100 with shipping.

The Ring Lord - For some prefabbed materials, the ring lord is an excellent resource. They have scales, rings and even dog tags that can be used in the construction of your armor. Try and get a very accurate measurement of what you need before you order, and try and get other people to combine orders with you. This is because the cost of shipping is prohibitive and you also get discounts for bulk purchases.

Weapons
Cores -
Goodwinds Kites - Here you can purchase ultra light weapon cores. The thinner the core, the more likely it will break.

Tap Plastics - Tap Plastics is another place that you can find cores.

Foam -
McMaster - Do not purchase weapon foam at your local hardware store, it probably won't be the right size. At McMasters, you can get foam that is up to snuff. This stuff fits on 505 kitespar.

When building armor, you need to remember that the cheapest option is the one that gives you all the materials you need, with some room for mess-ups, without giving you a lot left over. A 4'x8' sheet of metal is the best deal, but will build 5 suits of armor...
In addition, you need to weigh the pros and cons of building your armor vs purchasing your armor. At a certain point of materials cost and the cost of tools, you can purchase very nice armor that is professionally made without going to the trouble yourself. I already owned a lot of tools but still ended up purchasing more. Combine that with the cost of leather, the cost of time, etc... it can be better just to purchase your armor outright if you're only making 1 suit without any special thought to it. There are a lot of positive reasons for building your own armor as well. I get a lot of compliments about my armor and it makes me positively glow :) Also, I know all my armor fits me, I can make my own adjustments, I can sew in secret pockets, install alchemy loops or carve a custom design. In addition, if I make a very bad design I can make another one. The first suit of armor I made was "inspired" by a a design I was considering purchasing. After having made the armor, I was thrilled that I hadn't paid the $300 it cost.

Tap Plastics is another good site for core material. They also ship.

If people could give me a direct link to item materials, I would really appreciate it. If I can't find the material after being on the site for 5-10 minutes, everybody else is going to have to jump that same hurdle. Thank you!

Goodwinds Cores: as they recommend...go with the .505 and .524 inches in diameter and 54 to 72 inches long.
Fiberglass-
007018, FL-505, 54.5” Long, .505” OD, $5.99 (1-6 unit), $5.49 (7-12 unit), $5.29 $4.99 $4.79
007019, FL-505L, 64.0” Long, .505” OD, $7.29 (1-6 unit), $6.99 (7-12 unit), $6.59 $6.29 $5.99
007218, FL-505-75, 75.0” Long, .505” OD, $8.99 (1-6 unit), $8.49 (7-12 unit), $7.99 $7.79 $7.39
007994, FL-524, 54.5” Long, 524” OD, $7.29 (1-6 unit), $6.79 (7-12 unit), 6.39 $6.09 $5.89
007219, FL-524L, 64.0” Long, .524” OD, $8.59 (1-6 unit), $7.69 (7-12 unit), $7.39 $7.19 $6.99
007221, FL-524-75, 75.0” Long, .524” OD, $9.99 (1-6 unit), $8.99 (7-12 unit), $8.59 $8.19 $7.79
http://www.goodwinds.com/merch/list.sht ... fiberglass

I just came across this site, for metal of various sizes: https://www.metalbytheinch.com/index.html

Prices look to be a little higher than the hardware store box covers and kick plates, but you've got a selection of materials and you can have them cut to size.
For reference, a 6"x6" pre-cut sheet of 18 gauge cold-rolled steel is $.99 (down to $.86 each if you order over 50.)
A cut-to-size sheet at 4"x4" would be $.61 ($.54 in quantities over 50.)

I don't know what types of metals you'd want for armor, but they have cold-rolled, galvanized, galvannealed (never heard of that) steel, several kinds of stainless steel, aluminum and copper. I also couldn't tell you if the prices are any good, but it seems like a decent way to get a lot of smaller pieces if you don't have the means to cut it yourself.

From wikipedia:

Galvannealed or galvanneal is the result from the combined process of galvanizing and annealing to produce specialized sheets of steel. The galvanization is made through the hot-dipping (Hot-dip galvanizing) process and gives a very fine greyish matte finish. Galvanneal does not flake off its galvanized coating when formed, stamped, and bent. The very fine matte finish acts like a primer, allowing paint to adhere easily, and is very rust proof; only white to dark grey marks appear if it comes in contact with water. Galvanneal sheets offer good paintability, weldability, corrosion resistance, and formability. It is extensively used in the automotive, signage, electric equipment, and other industries requiring a metal with good paintability and long reliable service life. This steel process is produced by many steel mills and it is commonly referred by its trade name of Jet-Kote.

Back