May 31-June 2 event - from out of town...

Cúangol

Artisan
Hi there,

I'm flying in from the east coast for work, and will be staying with family in Berkeley just before the May 31 event.

Where is it? (I've been trouble finding directions). Is it easy to get to via Bart or Caltrain? Or could someone give me a ride from Berkeley?

And on a related note, any chance someone could let me borrow physreps for a longsword and shortsword?

And are there cabins with sleeping space? I assume I'll need a sleeping bag and sleeping pad?

And are there food vendors on site? Or a group I could pay some money to upfront to bring an extra share of food for me? [Its tough organizing this while on a trip...]

Looking forward to it!
OOG: Patrick
IG: Sornelintion, Amani elf from Ashbury

Cúangol said:
Hi there,

I'm flying in from the east coast for work, and will be staying with family in Berkeley just before the May 31 event.

Where is it? (I've been trouble finding directions). Is it easy to get to via Bart or Caltrain? Or could someone give me a ride from Berkeley?

And on a related note, any chance someone could let me borrow physreps for a longsword and shortsword?

And are there cabins with sleeping space? I assume I'll need a sleeping bag and sleeping pad?

And are there food vendors on site? Or a group I could pay some money to upfront to bring an extra share of food for me? [Its tough organizing this while on a trip...]

Looking forward to it!
OOG: Patrick
IG: Sornelintion, Amani elf from Ashbury

We use a boy scout camp up in the santa cruz mountains. Needless to say, no, it's not available via public transit. However, we have several players that are east bay or sacramento types, and they might be able to give you a lift to the event.

For borrowing weapons, I'd ask Mike C. Though if push comes to shove, we can probably hook you up out of MC. That's more of a last resort type option though.

There are cabins with sleeping space. Sleeping bag, pillow, and sleeping pad are all good ideas.

We actually have a staff cook who puts together meals for our events. The PC rate to buy into meals is $20. It's actually an option in the paypal pre-pay for events. Also, in our pre-registration form (which is linked at the bottom of the paypal page) there's a ticky box for being included in the food plan, and then a fill in box where you can let us know about any food allergies/special needs.

Let us know if you have any further questions! :)

If Mike gets some cores in and gets a chance to make some weapons, there might be spares. If not, I'm sure we can find something else. He's remade some of the spare weapons into custom request items.

If anything, we probably have a sleeping bag to lend you, so you don't have to check one on the plane :) The cabins have mattresses, but there aren't many spots in them AFAIK. There are permatents up in the Minto area that have decent cots in them, out-of-towners have slept on them and had no complaints.

If you have not arranged a ride for the event by that weekend, I will be in San Francisco that friday, picking up my best friend. There is a BART station fairly close to his place, so we could arrange to meet up that way.
I've also got spare tents and air mattresses, if you're interested.

[quote="Inaryn"
We use a boy scout camp up in the santa cruz mountains. Needless to say, no, it's not available via public transit. However, we have several players that are east bay or sacramento types, and they might be able to give you a lift to the event.
[/quote]

Sounds great! I'm looking to buy my plane ticket soon, so is there any chance someone can commit to giving me a ride from Berkeley for the (May 31-June 2) event? I know it isn't until a few more months, but it would let me commit without fear of missing it...

Also, where exactly is the location (GPS? address?)? [In case I can convince family to drive me or loan me a car.]

For borrowing weapons, I'd ask Mike C. Though if push comes to shove, we can probably hook you up out of MC. That's more of a last resort type option though.

There are cabins with sleeping space. Sleeping bag, pillow, and sleeping pad are all good ideas.

I hope that I won't have to take weapons from NPCs in monster camp, but its nice to hear its an option. My aunt will be loaning me sleeping equipment, so just a cabin is fine.

We actually have a staff cook who puts together meals for our events. The PC rate to buy into meals is $20. It's actually an option in the paypal pre-pay for events. Also, in our pre-registration form (which is linked at the bottom of the paypal page) there's a ticky box for being included in the food plan, and then a fill in box where you can let us know about any food allergies/special needs.

Super! Does this include lunches too (I'm used to just breakfasts and a dinner in the eastern games)?

Looking forward to it!
Patrick

The camp address is:

Cutter Scout Reservation
2500 China Grade
Boulder Creek, CA 95006

Google is unable to properly map the address, but there are directions here:
http://pacsky.org/Camps/~/media/Council ... tions.ashx

From Berkeley:
Take I-880 South towards San Jose
Exit onto CA-237 West towards Sunnyvale/Mountain View
Exit onto CA-85 South towards San Jose/Gilroy
Exit at DeAnza/Saratoga-Sunnyvale Rd
Turn Right from the off-ramp onto Saratoga-Sunnyvale Rd
Turn Right onto CA-9/Big Basin Way
Drive about 20 miles on CA 9. There is a stop sign at CA-35/Skyline Blvd. Go forward through the intersection and keep going.
There is a stop sign at the CA-9/CA-236 junction. Go forward through the stop sign to continue on to CA-236.
After a short time CA-236 will become an undivided single-lane road. Keep driving. You are not lost.
After several more miles you will reach the ridge line and there will be a small sign for Cutter Scout Reservation. Make a right turn there onto China Grade.
Drive several miles on China Grade. The road will become an unpaved dirt road. Keep going, despite the fear and/or dread that may strike your heart. There will be occasional signs pointing you in the right direction.
As you get closer there will be signs leading you into the camp proper. Check in is at the Troop Service Building, and you can park your car at the Harkson Lodge parking lot.

If you don't have your own ride we will make sure you have a ride up to the site. It's a little far out to say who will be available, but we will work something out so you are not left without a way to get to the site.

Thanks Dan! It looks like I could probably make it most of the way via Bart and Caltrain - is there a station where it would be easy for someone to pick me up at?

Also, what time are game on and off usually (roughly)? [If I take caltrain / bart I'd need to check Sunday schedules].

zehnyu said:
Hey Patrick,
Do you run with the Ash Forest at all?

-Ali

Yes Ali, and by then I might be a squire to Dame Ezri. In fact this work trip is making me miss a big Ash Forest event, which makes an easy opportunity for your plot team to do some cross-chapter plot (a cure for an illness many of our elves, and my character, are suffering from will probably be found the preceding weekend) if they so desire. But why do you ask? Has your character had some interactions with the Ash Forest?

May 31 is my birthday, so I'm really looking forward to your game!
Patrick

If you can get down to either the Sunnyvale or San Jose area it may be easier for most people who would be available to pick you up. We can figure out the specifics of when and where to meet up closer to the event. We open the site at about 4PM usually, and the game usually starts sometime between 8 and 10 (we're working on making that 8 on a regular basis).

Getting very close to buying a plane ticket.

I assume that leaving through San Jose airport Sunday evening (June 2nd) at 10:45pm would be a safe bet? Someone would be able to drop me off there?

Thanks!
Patrick
P.S: I assume you have showers on site? I really would need one before catching the red eye...

Ticket purchased! I'll be leaving on June 2nd at 11:15pm from San Francisco airport (not San Jose).

I'll be asking for more specific things (rides, borrowed swords) next month but for now some questions:
* I assume you require a membership to play?
* I assume that if I go ahead and donate some cash for goblin stamps, I can still use it to back-blanket events up to 3 months in the past?

Thanks! Looking forward to joining you all!
Patrick

Rides are easy enough to suss out. Networking rides for out of towners is something I end up taking care of often. ;)

A membership is not required to play. We have a non-member rate.

You can find paypal info for donating and pre-paying here.

Once we get closer to the event, we'll be posting up a menu. When you pre-register, please make sure to use the form and include any food allergies or sensitivities. Whether you wish to buy into the food plan or not, our kitchen staff prides itself on providing the most accommodating meal experience for everyone on site. (For example, no PBJ when Toddo's in town...)

I am probably one of your best bets for a ride. If we can arrange an appropriate meeting time for Civic Center or Millbrae BART on Friday, that would be great. There are cabins on sites, with mattresses in them. I have a spare sleeping bag and pillows. I also have a couple spare tents and air mattresses, if you want to join the tent camping crowd.

I live 10 minutes away from the San Francisco Airport, so we can chill at my house, if there looks to be a long gap between getting out of game and getting you to the airport. Also, I'm driving a pick up truck, so space is not much of an issue for luggage and supplies. While the meal plan is good and I will always opt in, I do intend to hit a grocery store on the way to the campsite.

PM me if it all sounds good and we can exchange phone numbers to hammer out details.

Thanks! I'm sending you a PM with my phone number.

I would prefer a cabin, but do I need to be part of an IG group for that (in which case I hope people will respond to my post in the IG forum...), or does logistics divy everyone up? Or are there private rooms available for extra pay? I've seen all of these happen in various other chapters.

But regardless, I gratefully accept your offer for a sleeping bag, pillow, and 2 rides!

I purchased a meal plan, but wouldn 't mind buying snacks and drinks at the grocery store on the way.

Thanks!
Patrick

Back