Meat Shield

Ok, so my Boss Brian, Ryan, and I were having this discussion about using unconcious monsters (or other PCs) as meat shields for packets... Heres the scenerio and you tell me if it is ok: ^^

I am walking down a trail in the woods.
2 Trolls come charging at me.
I sleep one of the trolls as the other one prepairs to cast magic at me.
I "pick you up 1, pick you up 2, pick you up 3." to the sleeping troll.
I put him between me and the caster and proceed forward.
The caster throws but hits his snoring companion...
I am unharmed.

Now, would that work in game?

~Sean

Not an official marshall here, but Ive been one in Oregon and I'm thinking no. At that point the troll becomes a posession in your hands and the rule for spells is if the packet hits anything in your posession: weapons, clothes, backpack, shield, etc. you take the spell. Also, how many times have we seen people use the old " I summon a force to disarm your (person's name or race)" when our buddies are being carted off. That only works because it was decided that an unconcious or incapped person counts as a posession.
Now if you paralize the troll, or confine him, and you wanna stand behind him without touching the troll, you're all good.
Nice thinking though.

Jeff

Officially:

What Jeff said. A body, when carried, counts as a posession and the carrier will take the spell effect.

A better strategy might be to NEVER BE ALONE when you're walking in the woods at night.

-Dan

Shikar al'Basteua said:
Officially:

What Jeff said. A body, when carried, counts as a posession and the carrier will take the spell effect.

A better strategy might be to NEVER BE ALONE when you're walking in the woods at night.

-Dan

Yeah...I believe there was once a call, "I call upon whatever to enflame your baby..."

Well darn... I thought I had finally found a use for Taran... :p

~Sean

Since this has come up at the last event, does it make a difference if someone you are carrying is conscious/uncoscious?

For example, if a person is being carried by someone else. Both the person being carried and the hauler have spell shields.

The person being carried gets hit by a dragon's breath. Who takes the effect, the person being carried or the person doing the carrying?

Does it make a difference if the person is webbed/confined or just being carried (ala piggy back style)?

Barry

as best i can tell, the moment that you pick someone up, they become a possession.

However the rules would explain the effects after that are unknown to me.

This, however, should not mean that it is ok for a diamond golem to pick up a mage so that the mage can cast spells without fear of them being reflected... because once they are reflected then they are affecting the diamond golem and reflected back again.

It's just generally unsafe for people to be carrying other people in the middle of combat, so please try to not make it tactic.

Mark (not a seattle marshall)

We are currently considering this issue. An update will be posted when it is available.

-Dan

Some initial thoughts that came to mind when I read this:

Do you have the Shield skill?
Don't people exceed the size limitations for shields?
How safe is that?
Do you want fries with that?
Man, my toes itch.

Hey, if I have 2 handed Blunt or 2 Handed Master, could I smack another monster with one of their own? Or would I have to stop and wrap him in open cell foam and duct tape? How about if I'm using Endow/Delayed Endow?

Jonesing for a local game,

Davio/ aka Simone Novragrovya Pietrovich

Dave said:
I believe you could, as long as both of them accept physical RP...
Actally, no matter how much foam you use, I dont think you will ever get a person to be a nero legal weapon. So while if everyone accept physical RP you can do it, you cant use any weapon skills, and its probobly a safety violation to boot.

Sounds like fun tho.

Ok, here is the final ruling on this issue:

1) A body is not considered to be a posession for the purpose of determining who a spell will affect UNLESS that body is permanantly dead. A person being carried must take the effect of any spell they are hit with or call a valid defense (no difference between being carried and not being carried).

2) Persons being carried are valid targets for Enflame and Disarm (but not Shatter or Destroy).

Interesting. Will there be a requirement to actually carry the person ala phys rep, or is it of the somewhat RP'ed variety of the carried person walking close to the carrier?

Back